Texas NIL $50k per year for every scholarship lineman

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
$50,000 annually for use of their name, image and likeness to support charitable causes, a new nonprofit entity announced Monday.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: brett108

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
It's for "charity"

596.gif

mjdivine

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2006
That’s great and all, but does anyone else think throwing all this money at 18-year-olds is just going to make Texas’s culture problems worse? I mean, I’m not worried about this making Texas more competitive on the field, not even a little bit.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
I get all the jokes about "what is texas going to do with all the best recruits, etc", but this just feels so wrong and corrupt. Tell me how this is ok again?
The problem I have with this is its just the start. When is 150k per lineman going to turn into 1M?

its going to get out of control fast without governance.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I get all the jokes about "what is texas going to do with all the best recruits, etc", but this just feels so wrong and corrupt. Tell me how this is ok again?
The problem I have with this is its just the start. When is 150k per lineman going to turn into 1M?

its going to get out of control fast without governance.
Love when people who had the opinion of - student athletes already get a free degree, plenty of side benefits, free meals for 4+ years, free travel experiences for 4+ years, might be enough..... were typically met with "ok boomer", or "PAY THE ATHLETES" type responses.

Well when texas gets a payroll to pay lineman which is disguised as a charity organization, this is where I get lost as a fan. Of course we knew crap like this would happen. Ruining the sport in my opinion.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Love when people who had the opinion of - student athletes already get a free degree, plenty of side benefits, free meals for 4+ years, free travel experiences for 4+ years, might be enough..... were typically met with "ok boomer", or "PAY THE ATHLETES" type responses.

Well when texas gets a payroll to pay lineman which is disguised as a charity organization, this is where I get lost as a fan. Of course we knew crap like this would happen. Ruining the sport in my opinion.

In my opinion schools switching conferences and coaches jumping schools for higher payouts are ruining the sport far more than a college kid making some bank off of his contributions.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
In my opinion schools switching conferences and coaches jumping schools for higher payouts are ruining the sport far more than a college kid making some bank off of his contributions.
Kind of a wild thought but do college coaches need a salary cap? Would be hard to scale and implement but I don't hate the idea. At the highest level they now make double what nfl coaches earn.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines

I think its a combination of this and the absurd payments that have been discussed.

I just don't see a world where coaches getting 10-20M per year, Players can pretty much transfer at will, and you can pay players (in whatever indirect way the schools/donors lawyers figure out) hundreds of thousands of dollars or more being good for teams like Iowa state. Would love to be wrong, but I can't see it helping

I guess when this NIL stuff came out i thought there would be some restrictions so it didn't turn into a sh*t show. What would have been so wrong with at least trying to cap the player annual income at like 50K or something? There is a big difference between a player making a few thousand on a Fabo's pizza commercial or Applebee's than doing absolutely nothing, calling it a charity and getting 150K as a base salary.

at this point you could probably just get rid of the NCAA and scholarship rules.
I bet TJ could put together a pretty nice squad if you gave him a 5 million dollar NIL fund to get 5-6 players to Ames.

We are not even a year into this and this crap is happening. A "charity".....lol..

Help Support Us

Become a patron