Bowl Projection USA Today

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I hope it is Orlando too...Keep in mind on the radio show...JP mentioned that CMC wouldn't mind Houston bc of Jan4th date oddly enough...CMC said it would be first time he could send players home for Xmas which he liked..

So keep that in mind..
I just really don’t want the Liberty bowl. I’ll still take the Texas bowl over that. Liberty bowl is a step downwards.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I did some research a few years ago that documented how badly these writers predict who goes to what bowl. Now I just pay attention to what Pollard says as he sometimes leaks his preferences. On Monday night, he spoke very positively about the Texas Bowl in Houston, referencing Campbell liking the idea of a late bowl because it meant the team could go home for Christmas. That seems like a meaningful data point.

I agree except for one - Brett McMurphy - who actually has sources in Bowl committees so he knows better what they are thinking. He had us in Texas all the way up until mid week this past week. There was a Big 12 bowl teleconference mid-week. That tells me Cheez It prefers Cyclones if things work out with NY6.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
He didn't give percentages. My big take-away was simply a positiveness by Campbell toward the Texas Bowl in Houston because of the opportunity it gave for players to go home for Christmas.
I want was is best for the program which includes players, coaches and fans long-term and admittedly, I do not know what bowl that is. It does though feel a little bit like positioning so if we end up in a Jan 4 bowl game in Houston, fans will be on board. It feels like the competitive nature of athletes & coaches would want the biggest stage against the highest caliber opponent.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
If you are at all considering going, open up another window and book CID to MCO 12/26-12/30 right now. Comparatively, that price is WAY below the market for anywhere around here.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not leaning one way or the other on the two sides disagreeing on our 'possible' matchup with Clemson. Obviously, Clemson will be better than earlier in the year, and be so good on defense. And on the other side, I agree that playing a top notch opponent is more intriguing. But I was wondering for those that attended last time, do you think the Clemson/ISU matchup would be 'considered' as overwhelming as the Notre Dame vs. us was?
And as for the comment that all our guys would play for their stock to rise in pro eyes. Couldn't Breece say I don't need to be stuffed by Clemson but rather live on my merits of what I've already done? Not that I think he's built that way, or he wouldn't be the beast he's been. Obviously, everybody is concerned with our OL.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think, should they get two teams in the CFP, conference teams should almost always play in the semifinals. NOBODY wants to watch an all SEC final game.

If Bama and UGA are the 2 best teams I sure as hell want to watch an all SEC final.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We could very well end up in the Texas bowl, but I think Pollard quote is being taken a little out of context when he was stating what Campbell had said. I think Campbell was looking for positives of each bowl available and that is what he mentioned for the Texas bowl. I don’t think he was saying he preferred the Texas bowl or anything like that.
At least that is how I interpreted it

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I think, should they get two teams in the CFP, conference teams should almost always play in the semifinals. NOBODY wants to watch an all SEC final game.
Normally I would agree but with the way thing shook out this year I"m not going to completely hate Georgia making it. With the system we have now, the one loss team probably deserves it. Definitively not a huge fan but it is what it is. Bring on at least 8 teams for a real playoff.

Reactions: Die4Cy

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I get what Pollard said, but there is zero chance he will politic for the Houston game if Clemson is the likely opponent in Orlando. That matchup is a PR dream.
If ISU gets an offer to play Clemson in Orlando you have to take it. I see zero downside. Chance to beat a top 5 brand (which they can), and if you lose there isn’t much difference between 8-5 and 7-6. This isn’t the ND matchup from 2 years ago where a young Cyclone team seemed overwhelmed. This is an OLD roster with most of the starters having played in that game and learned from it. IMO the opportunity to beat Clemson really elevates what was a very disappointing regular season.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
I'm not leaning one way or the other on the two sides disagreeing on our 'possible' matchup with Clemson. Obviously, Clemson will be better than earlier in the year, and be so good on defense. And on the other side, I agree that playing a top notch opponent is more intriguing. But I was wondering for those that attended last time, do you think the Clemson/ISU matchup would be 'considered' as overwhelming as the Notre Dame vs. us was?
And as for the comment that all our guys would play for their stock to rise in pro eyes. Couldn't Breece say I don't need to be stuffed by Clemson but rather live on my merits of what I've already done? Not that I think he's built that way, or he wouldn't be the beast he's been. Obviously, everybody is concerned with our OL.
I think we’d give Clemson a game. I mean, this year’s team is vastly different in performance from game to game but both teams at their best, I actually like our chances.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron