Hoiberg and Nebraska’s woes continue

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
tommy-lee-jones-i-dont-care.gif

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Tennessee State leading by three over the Husker’s at halftime. Ouch!!

Dang, the Fighting Freds came out of the gate fast in this one, they were up something like 13-3 when I first tuned in, looked like it was going to be a blowout so I moved on to watch something else. Will tune back in.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
I always find it strange when people root against Fred. I guess I get it if you dislike Nebraska, but the turn around he did coaching for us was freaking historically incredible and obviously the playing career. Leaving for the Chicago bulls and millions of dollars is tough to turn down. The reports of him interviewing for jobs like Minnesota weren’t great but don’t give me that garbage that he left the cupboard empty by not recruiting.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I was hoping he'd at least make life difficult for Fran. Instead he gives him 2 easy wins each year
you do make a good point...I'm not sure what to make of Iowa at this point....they seem to have a really good offense and shoot well, but they've played no one with a pulse so that's hard to gauge..they play UVA soon, so that will kind of tell me where they're at

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sometimes I wonder if Fred regrets some of his life choices from about 2015 onward.

Meh - oh well.

I said it back when he took the Bulls job he basically gave up his dream job and an opportunity to create a legacy in his home town and ala mater that no one would ever be able to touch for the chance to coach what was at the time one of the worst run NBA front offices and a job that he would probably get fired before his contract was up. Orr has a statue and a bar in Hilton named after him and the success Fred was having when he left had he stayed 10 more years and done some things here no one else has done can only imagine what he could have left as a legacy here.

I don't root against Fred but I do hold him accountable for some of the recruiting gaps Prohm had to deal with when he took the job that made it tougher for him and likely would have bit Fred too if he wound up missing on some transfers. He already had made his money as a player and front office exec and I thought maybe he realized just how short the shelf life is for an NBA coach from being in a front office job that maybe he would resist the NBA itch. I think the ship has sailed on him returning here to coach again and if he gets fired from Nebraska at some point not sure he gets another power 5 coaching job again without having to work his way into a P5 job with a stop or 2 at a smaller non-P5 school. He had the job security and ideal resources when he was at ISU to turn it into his last job and instead he rolled the dice on the NBA and got burned by GarPax.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I said it back when he took the Bulls job he basically gave up his dream job and an opportunity to create a legacy in his home town and ala mater that no one would ever be able to touch for the chance to coach what was at the time one of the worst run NBA front offices and a job that he would probably get fired before his contract was up. Orr has a statue and a bar in Hilton named after him and the success Fred was having when he left had he stayed 10 more years and done some things here no one else has done can only imagine what he could have left as a legacy here.

I don't root against Fred but I do hold him accountable for some of the recruiting gaps Prohm had to deal with when he took the job that made it tougher for him and likely would have bit Fred too if he wound up missing on some transfers. He already had made his money as a player and front office exec and I thought maybe he realized just how short the shelf life is for an NBA coach from being in a front office job that maybe he would resist the NBA itch. I think the ship has sailed on him returning here to coach again and if he gets fired from Nebraska at some point not sure he gets another power 5 coaching job again without having to work his way into a P5 job with a stop or 2 at a smaller non-P5 school. He had the job security and ideal resources when he was at ISU to turn it into his last job and instead he rolled the dice on the NBA and got burned by GarPax.

As someone who grew up as kid during Orr's time and then played for him I don't think he would want to take some of that legacy away from Johnny. He came here brought life back to the program and then left before anything could happen like what's currently happening at Nebraska.

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I <3 Fred and feel bad for anyone who hates him because he chose to make $2.5 more million a year.

I would be hurt if my wife left me for Ryan Reynolds, but surely I’d understand after awhile.

Agree on most counts but the Bulls were a lot closer to Burt Reynolds than Ryan, and not the Smokey and the Bandit version.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I said it back when he took the Bulls job he basically gave up his dream job

He never said this once and repeatedly said the best basketball minds are in the NBA basically right away. Just because some of our fans put this on him doesn’t make it true.

I’m not rooting for his failure but it at least shuts up the psychopaths that want us to hire him back every season.

It was an awesome run when it happened. I’ll cherish it until I die. But it’s over.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Like it or not, Iowa State just isn't any coach's dream job. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron