IOWA STATE TO BIG TEN?!? Dave Wannstedt thinks so.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
We are going to roll out a top 10 football team with a beautiful stadium that's going to be packed all season.

Not to mention the new building, great young coach, and pictures of ISU fans flooding cities during bowl games and basketball tournaments

The TV numbers aren't bad depending on how it's sliced. 2021 is the best version of Iowa State athletically that we've ever had.

Hoping the powers see the benefits

This is a public service announcement for all fans. Get back in your seats before the third quarter starts. It always looks bad on TV when the Trice Clubbers section is half empty when the third quarter starts. Finish up those cocktails and club sandwiches, powder your noses and get back in those seats. Maybe they could make an announcement to those folks to hurry up. We need to look good on TV this season.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
And, of course, our play should be to leverage this competition when negotiating with the B1G. Don't really like the idea of 'buy in'.

My guess is that part of the alliance is in dividing up the spheres of influence, which also helps ensure that they're not negotiating against each other. We're going to have a buy-in wherever we go (if it is somewhere good), and we'll be damn happy to pay it.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
The Texas school likely would be AAC bound. In a 12 team playoff they'd likely be a 1 bid league 90% of the time. Guess that would be better for them than being a one bid league with all 8 moving in.

If Dave is at least mostly right then I would guess it means the Pac-12 expands to 16. The ACC would only go to 15 to leave a spot for Notre Dame, who would be welcome to play Alliance games and count as an ACC opponent. This way all three leagues have 16 schools (effectively) and they can each play 1 from the other 2 leagues per year.

So again if Dave knows what he’s talking about a little bit, I expect Tech to go west with OSU and KSU, and the 16th team there would be really interesting depending on the league’s openness to adding a religious institution in TCU, or whether they would wait and see if UNLV grows into a G5 program worthy of that spot.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Personally, I am not putting much credence in this since Wannstedt has been primarily an NFL guy in his time at FOX.

BUT, these is some plausibility here. With the Alliance happening, it would seem to be in the best interest of FOX and the B1G/ACC/PAC to partition off the Remaining 8. This keeps more potential inventory away from the ESPN and the SEC/AAC. This rumor from Wannstedt puts the B1G at 16, the PAC at 14, and the ACC at 15 (an in an an open marriage with ND). If this ends up with each conference playing 8 conference games plus 2 Alliance games each year, that is 450 games worth of P5 inventory each year (plus whatever ND does). Compare that to the 128 that the SEC will have.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung and aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Say this is true, ISU gets BIG invite, it's still 1-3 years away correct? Along with or atleast 5 other R8 teams having a home or disbanding, in order to avoid the Big 12 buyout for us (that we would have to pay).

I still think all the talk about waiting 1-2 years applies. I guess I could see the R8 disbanding sooner if at least 6 got good homes in a power conference. That would have to be orchestrated by espn I would think for OU and Tx to avoid some of their buyout?
If it is true and even if we have to wait until 2025/2026, we will be fine. We can announce a landing spot and tread water while whooping up on the rest of the guys and cement out spot in the top 10. Large donors would help bridge the gap I'm certain if needed.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
If Dave is at least mostly right then I would guess it means the Pac-12 expands to 16. The ACC would only go to 15 to leave a spot for Notre Dame, who would be welcome to play Alliance games and count as an ACC opponent. This way all three leagues have 16 schools (effectively) and they can each play 1 from the other 2 leagues per year.

So again if Dave knows what he’s talking about a little bit, I expect Tech to go west with OSU and KSU, and the 16th team there would be really interesting depending on the league’s openness to adding a religious institution in TCU, or whether they would wait and see if UNLV grows into a G5 program worthy of that spot.
If TCU is off the table for the religious thing, I would venture to guess that either Boise or Houston would be the next options for the PAC. Boise for the name recognition, Houston for the large alumni base and establishing another foothold in Texas.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

ACC could bow down to the almighty Domers and let them into the Alliance scheduling w/o requiring full membership.

If the Pac only expands to 14 while the B1G and ACC expand to 16. The Wakes and Rutgers would likely play 2 teams from the other conference instead of one from the Pac.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If TCU is off the table for the religious thing, I would venture to guess that either Boise or Houston would be the next options for the PAC. Boise for the name recognition, Houston for the large alumni base and establishing another foothold in Texas.

No one ever mentions SDSU for the Pac. Do their academics just suck that much ass?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
PAC still has academic standards and I think neither BSU or Houston meet these. could be wrong if they meet them, but they do require a step below AAU status.

• Winner
Reactions: TXCyclones