Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
One option being somewhat ignored is as follows...though I still think the B1G is MORE likely to take ISU/KU and see what else develops over the next four years.

But let say the B1G grabs from the PAC as a few have speculated...they take:
1.USC
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. Oregon

Let's assume the ACC grabs up West Virginia and perhaps KU.

This means a new Big 12/Pac 12 can be formed as follows (Those in parenthesis would be involved if the new league went for a 16 team grouping):

Great Plains Division
1. Oklahoma State
2. Iowa State
3. Texas Tech
4. TCU
5. Kansas State
6. Colorado

(Baylor)
(Cincinnatti)

Mountain Division
7. Arizona
8. Washington
9. Utah
10. Colorado
11. Washington State
12. Arizona State

(Oregon State)
(BYU)

One bonus possibility would be Cal...not sure if they'd be williing to join a conference with TCU or Baylor or BYU...so left them out.

Nearly all of these are bigger state university programs and many are well regarded football and basketball programs at the highest levels. This is much more then a "leftovers" league and vastly superior to some conglomeration with the AAC and/or Mountain West conferences. Allying the remainders of the PAC and Big 12 is a step down for everyone...but a MUCH smaller step down then the alternative. This could be strong enough...and geographically relevant enough...to be a 30 million per team/per year level league.

Reactions: Nococy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If the B10 doesn’t poach any PAC schools, could Fox set up a partnership between the two leagues?

Both leagues take B12 leftovers to get to 16. Then sign a TV deal that includes a scheduling alliance that B10 plays PAC in the non con.

Just spitballing ideas.

I think if they really want to max out cash, inclusive deals like that make more sense than leaving the Pac and Big Ten as they are and then having the Big 12 be the new AAC.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Streaming was never the answer. No one would pick to watch football on a stream vs on ABC.
I stream everything. And have access to virtually every sporting event including every football game via stream. Havent had cable in decades, satellite in years, been streaming all content for at least 5 years.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I think if they really want to max out cash, inclusive deals like that make more sense than leaving the Pac and Big Ten as they are and then having the Big 12 be the new AAC.

Yeah it would be a solid alliance without forcing a bunch of travel costs on the various schools.

Plus, I would think Iowa fans might like that. ISU game could become a conference game, and you get to replace that non con game with a PAC 12 team

Reactions: AlaCyclone

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
E7PcCoDXEA47BdB

• Dumb
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
So I was trying to gauge UT/OU share of value of the TV contract and found this article from March 2020. Has some TV numbers to give an idea of viewer interest aka advertising value. Might not be completely the same after 2020, but I thought it would at least ROM the number.

Big12 ratings 2019

The viewer numbers basically say that games with either UT or OU are about 4x more valuable that everyone else. That's a rough number. It MIGHT be a little lower than that, because to some extent they get better tv spots and that helps some. But let's just say 4x.

But if it is 4x, then take into account the # of games inventory. Doing the math a couple different ways, UT/OU are worth about 55-70% of the TV contract. So what would a Big12 Light look like? If ISU is currently getting $35M, figure it will be more like $11-15M. That is MUCH worse than I anticipated and is nearly down in G5 territory. That's the kind of drop that would impact facilities and financial planning already in work.

I think there would be some upward potential in these numbers too. Some factors that might make it higher:
  • If ESPN owns a super league and others need content for prime spots
  • Streamers come in to increase demand for content
  • Games just become a bit more valuable because of better tv spot times
  • Generally all content value is increasing
So maybe it could be $20M instead? Maybe. Bottom line: we really need to get into the B1G or Pac12. Otherwise looking at <$20M in tv money and true relegation to the minor leagues. Guess I just proved the sky is blue, but the numbers are sobering.
Really appreciate that information. However, there are several factors askew:
- Reach - We should consider the time slot, reach, and marketing associated with each game. Iowa State's continued climb up the ladder is affording us better opportunities in those major categories of viewership
- 2019 data and source - I wonder what the source of that information is. Regardless, skipping 2020 was a mistake. I know a Covid year, but a true analysis would've resorted to percentages and discovered definite improvements in ISU viewership
- Now that Iowa State is on the climb and an OK or TX game is no longer automatically chalked up as a loss, what's to say those games weren't tilted by the underdog fans looking for an upset. I know, I tend to watch out-of-conference games if the underdog is having a great year. I've watched two Indiana games in my life. Both were when they had a chance to upset a team, were in a good time slot, and were showing on the bar TV.
I guess what I'm saying is: things change AND things are not always what they appear to be.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Why would teams brought into the BIG get a full payout share right away? Nebraska took 7 years to get there. From Daily Nebraskan, May 2017:

"When Nebraska joined the Big Ten in 2011, it received $14 million. From there, it increased to $15.4 million in the second year, then $16.9 million, $18.7 million and $22 million last year, according to the Omaha World-Herald.

Finally, Nebraska will see the full benefits of leaving the Big 12 Conference, but those initial payouts were still an improvement over the Big 12’s $9 million in 2010."

Big 12 teams have already indicated they will take $33-34 million and any team to the BIG would probably get less.
What was the GOR for those teams at the time? Also, cherry picking the year 'before' their first year in the B1G is the epitome of finding statistics to fit a narrative.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
One option being somewhat ignored is as follows...though I still think the B1G is MORE likely to take ISU/KU and see what else develops over the next four years.

But let say the B1G grabs from the PAC as a few have speculated...they take:
1.USC
2. UCLA
3. Stanford
4. Oregon

Let's assume the ACC grabs up West Virginia and perhaps KU.

This means a new Big 12/Pac 12 can be formed as follows (Those in parenthesis would be involved if the new league went for a 16 team grouping):

Great Plains Division
1. Oklahoma State
2. Iowa State
3. Texas Tech
4. TCU
5. Kansas State
6. Colorado

(Baylor)
(Cincinnatti)

Mountain Division
7. Arizona
8. Washington
9. Utah
10. Colorado
11. Washington State
12. Arizona State

(Oregon State)
(BYU)

One bonus possibility would be Cal...not sure if they'd be williing to join a conference with TCU or Baylor or BYU...so left them out.

Nearly all of these are bigger state university programs and many are well regarded football and basketball programs at the highest levels. This is much more then a "leftovers" league and vastly superior to some conglomeration with the AAC and/or Mountain West conferences. Allying the remainders of the PAC and Big 12 is a step down for everyone...but a MUCH smaller step down then the alternative. This could be strong enough...and geographically relevant enough...to be a 30 million per team/per year level league.
The Big 10 would have to take Cal, there are only two large public research schools in California, Cal and UCLA, USC and Stanford are private institutions.

Been over reading the Atheletic about what they have to say, and reading the comments of the OU and UT fans its good to know this was all the fault of the Big 12 and the other 8 schools. If they had did more to recruit more schools, then the league would have been fine, but no, so therefore OU and UT had to do what was best for them, and move to the SEC.

I get everyone wants to look at things through their own lens, but when UT is number 1 in atheletic budgets and OU is 10th or 11th, in money, I just do not think it was the other 8 schools fault.
How about this idea, why didn't UT especially say they were fully committed to making a go of it in the Big 12, and instead of having just one power team, they lived up to their billing and actually did something on a national scale once in a while. Both schools have been working for this move for at least 6 months, without informing the league, even if the other schools do not get GOR money for them leaving, I would think since neither school informed the league within the 24 timeframe that they had been in contact with another league, that we should sue the crap out of them. I mean we have nothing left to lose now do we.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Because they're now broadcasting ASU vs. Stanford in a terrible time slot and making no money on it, but having to pay Stanford/ASU $33M each for their rights. Even the dregs of the B10 have much stronger TV draws than the lower end of the P12 and now they can pair the better parts of the P12 with the better time slots of the B1G.

Once you nuke the PAC12 and they, as an example merge with the B12, you're now paying the "remnants" conference a much lower per team share because it's based on the idea that the entire conference has no prime TV draws.

And, by the way, the B1G rights come up for bid in 3 years and I'm guessing, based on what ESPN is rumored to be spending on the SEC, they won't be that interested in the B1G - it will likely be Fox and some combo of CBS/NBC.
Rumored? Do tell. ESPN has been bleeding cable subscribers. How much more is Disney willing to borrow from their coffer of amusement parks and movies?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
The Big 10 would have to take Cal, there are only two large public research schools in California, Cal and UCLA, USC and Stanford are private institutions.

Been over reading the Atheletic about what they have to say, and reading the comments of the OU and UT fans its good to know this was all the fault of the Big 12 and the other 8 schools. If they had did more to recruit more schools, then the league would have been fine, but no, so therefore OU and UT had to do what was best for them, and move to the SEC.

I get everyone wants to look at things through their own lens, but when UT is number 1 in atheletic budgets and OU is 10th or 11th, in money, I just do not think it was the other 8 schools fault.
How about this idea, why didn't UT especially say they were fully committed to making a go of it in the Big 12, and instead of having just one power team, they lived up to their billing and actually did something on a national scale once in a while. Both schools have been working for this move for at least 6 months, without informing the league, even if the other schools do not get GOR money for them leaving, I would think since neither school informed the league within the 24 timeframe that they had been in contact with another league, that we should sue the crap out of them. I mean we have nothing left to lose now do we.

I don't think private or public matters. Northwestern is a private institution.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
"The 2035 AFLAC Red River Shootout Sponsored by Progressive" runs across my AI-enabled streaming display.

"Ah, the First Quarter presented by State Farm is over, time to pee!" After relieving myself as quick as possible (the Dr. Pepper I had to drink to unlock this game ran through me real quick), I return.

'45 seconds, I won't miss much' I think to myself as a text box shows up on the display. "45 second absence detected, your ad experience has been preserved to optimize your marketing experience". As the various fast food, auto, and insurance ads play across the screen, I get a notification that play has resumed and will continue in the background while I complete the required ad experience. After 45 seconds, I finally can see that OU managed to score while I was finishing that State Farm ad where they fused all the Jakes into MegaJake.

At least I didn't miss the replay: OU quarterback Big Red presented by Big Red Sports & Imports (he legally changed his name to Big Red after Big Red Sports & Imports offered $2 million to any 5 star recruit willing to come to OU and change their name) tossed a perfect dime to Demarcus Johnson presented by Midfirst Bank. The guy covering him, Jack Gideon presented by Dell, probably won't be presented by Dell for too much longer if he kept his streak of getting beaten for long TD's up.

Other than that long TD, the game is a pretty low-scoring affair. As the Farmer's Insurance Halftime arrives, I consider if I'm willing to miss 15 minutes of game time to get a burger. Deciding against it, I opt to make a sandwich from the fridge, which will only cost me 3 minutes of missed ad time. I run to the kitchen and make my sandwich, come back, and find I was only gone 2 minutes and 15 seconds, a personal record. The 2 minutes of halftime discussion centers around whether Auburn quarterback Dixon Sanders presented by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama or Tennessee quarterback Jeff Nicholson presented by Pilot Flying J deserves the Nissan Heisman Trophy.

In the 2 minutes and 15 seconds of gametime I miss making up the missed ad viewing time, OU scores twice, making the score 35-13. Turns out they ran the kickoff back, then got an Oklahoma Powerball Pick 6 to blow the game wide open. "It was fun while it lasted, but Texas is too run-oriented to come back from this deficit. I'll give it one more drive before turning it over"...

I wake up 3 hours later; I guess I was more tired than I thought. OU ended up winning 49-33, sounds like I was right. Looking at the display, I have the irritating realization that I'll need to make up 80 minutes of ad time if I want to catch kickoff next Saturday. Maybe I'll just skip it, it's just South Carolina. It's been 3 years since they last won a game, a torrid 5-3 affair over Vanderbilt. Maybe I'll watch a lower division, sometimes you can get one of their games on ESPN 8. I hear Oklahoma State and Kansas State are setting up for a barn burner to determine the champion of the Big North after Nebraska upset North Dakota State in double OT.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
This is where I think the blue bloods are wrong. They need teams to play. Because if they only play other blue bloods, you’ll have a lot of blue bloods going 6-6, 7-5 and even the top teams are going to lose games. And that happening over and over will lead to devaluing their blue blood brand.

Go look at the top teams and their schedules. They basically have to win 2-3 games per year against top competition. Do they really want to do that 12 times per year?
Agree, the SEC can't include just blue bloods. That's why I don't think the SEC is done. They have 7 elite schools whose institutional expectation is playoff bids almost yearly.

So to make sense of OU and Texas joining the SEC, the SEC has to position itself to get 5-6 playoff bids among the 12. For that to happen the SEC is going to need to add ACC, Pac12 or Big12 teams to get to 20-24 teams.

I do think playing home & road against divisional opponents can prevent the top teams from knocking each other off by reducing inter-divisional games.