Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
Reynolds basically got a degree for political purposes. I don't see her as having some strong ties to Iowa State
Even if this is true, IA politicians still have a strong incentive to keep ISU a viable brand, which includes finding a soft landing spot in the current conference realignment missle crisis. Would it be economically better for ISU and the state if ISU landed in a G5 conference or the B1G, for example? Clearly, the B1G. Thus, there is a need for Gov Reynolds, Sen Whitver and others to huddle up, define a position statement for ISU to a P5 conference and get in the media w/that message now.

FeedBreece

Dec 30, 2020
I can't stop thinking about this. Imagine if the Campbell hire was a whiff, and the guy we got to replace him was looking like a dud so far, too. If we hadn't been to a bowl since 2012, we would pretty much be toast right now. Instead, we have a fighting chance.
What’s crazy:

I forgot about this, but there was a time I almost invited the idea of us joining a MAC conference back 10 years ago. I figured it would be a chance for us to have winning seasons on a more consistent basis.

Now the idea would be dreadful. Shows how much things have changed the last 5 years.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have not had time to read thru this entire thread, but could someone explain to me the case for the B1G wanting ISU? That seems like best case for ISU if TX/OU leave, but I don't see how this makes any kind of sense for the B1G.

I know ISU is AAU, has good athletics, etc., but it seems like they'd just be expanding to expand similar to adding Maryland and Rutgers last go around. Plus, I cannot imagine Iowa would be thrilled about this.

To me, the most likely case is that the Big 12 doesn't really do anything like last time.

I just hope we don't go to the PAC-12.
  • Austin, TX is our farthest trip right now (~950 miles).
  • Every single PAC-12 opponent other than Colorado is over 1,000 miles away and many are around 1,800 miles away (almost twice as far as Austin).
  • Plus, they don't care about college sports.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I can't believe how many people are voting for a "New Big 12". Like, not only is that highly unlikely, it's also the worst possible case. Any new big 12 cobbled together from the scraps of the current big 12 and other G5 teams would be essentially out of what we currently call FBS D1 football (who knows what it'll be called in a few years?)

I seriously can't and won't believe that JP would allow that outcome to happen with all the improvements that have been made over recent history.

85clone

Jan 2, 2010
I can't believe how many people are voting for a "New Big 12". Like, not only is that highly unlikely, it's also the worst possible case. Any new big 12 cobbled together from the scraps of the current big 12 and other G5 teams would be essentially out of what we currently call FBS D1 football (who knows what it'll be called in a few years?)

I seriously can't and won't believe that JP would allow that outcome to happen with all the improvements that have been made over recent history.
Yes, but poll question didn't ask what our preferences were.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I have not had time to read thru this entire thread, but could someone explain to me the case for the B1G wanting ISU? That seems like best case for ISU if TX/OU leave, but I don't see how this makes any kind of sense for the B1G.

I know ISU is AAU, has good athletics, etc., but it seems like they'd just be expanding to expand similar to adding Maryland and Rutgers last go around. Plus, I cannot imagine Iowa would be thrilled about this.

To me, the most likely case is that the Big 12 doesn't really do anything like last time.

I just hope we don't go to the PAC-12.
  • Austin, TX is our farthest trip right now (~950 miles).
  • Every single PAC-12 opponent other than Colorado is over 1,000 miles away and many are around 1,800 miles away (almost twice as far as Austin).
  • Plus, they don't care about college sports.

I think the argument is that CFB is gearing towards super conferences, and ESPN is driving that bus.

In that scenario, Iowa State's brand value is high enough that it should warrant inclusion in the top 64, and if the B1G sees that scenario coming down the line, they would be wise to pick up ISU/KU now.

It's not so much whether ISU is worth as much as Oklahoma or Texas, but more a question of whether ISU is worth as much or more than the rest of the Big 12 orphans.

I know it seems crazy, but there's a good chance that ISU's brand is "worth" $55 million. In 2019, our total revenues eclipsed $95 million; this was before the fiesta bowl and continued top 10 placement in polls/media exposure. Obviously revenue isn't the same as brand value, but for reference, this is about the same number as schools like Okie State (we're actually marginally ahead in revenue, somewhat surprisingly), VA Tech, Colorado, Utah, NC State.

Reactions: shadow

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Yes, but poll question didn't ask what our preferences were.

Indeed, and I stand by my opinion that a 2nd tier franken-conference is the least likely outcome, given our AD, trajectory/ambitions of the FB program, and fanbase willing to actually pay money to support the teams.

CyrideAllstar

Mar 1, 2021

I'm personally ok with getting a littl3 less money, but I hope those people wanting a new big 12 realize we won't get anything near the money we had with ou and UT. We are better off in the big 10

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I only read first two pages but I am often puzzled that people rarely talk about the ACC expanding. If they picked up ISU, OSU and 2 of the Texas schools not named Baylor, they would have a much bigger footprint and media markets.
(No I didn't forget about W VA.)

Personally, I find that much more appealing then the Pac 12 or Big 10

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I have a question, because I'm honestly not sure:

Why is it so unlikely for ISU to get into the B1G if JP approaches them? It seems to me that ISU would be a good add given the new streaming landscape. I know about diluting revenues through adding more schools, but do we really know that adding ISU wouldn't end up a net positive for the B1G?

Reactions: CentexCyclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have a question, because I'm honestly not sure:

Why is it so unlikely for ISU to get into the B1G if JP approaches them? It seems to me that ISU would be a good add given the new streaming landscape. I know about diluting revenues through adding more schools, but do we really know that adding ISU wouldn't end up a net positive for the B1G?

I don’t think the Big 10 is an “ISU thing” as in “the Big doesn’t want ISU. I think if they wanted expand ISU would have a chance, it’s more about them just not doing anything. The only school that they would 100% absolutely rock the boat for would be ND.

Reactions: State2015

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don’t think the Big 10 is an “ISU thing” as in “the Big doesn’t want ISU. I think if they wanted expand ISU would have a chance, it’s more about them just not doing anything. The only school that they would 100% absolutely rock the boat for would be ND.
Pretty much this. The Big 10 has no incentive to expand right now. Barring something crazy with the CFP thing, they seem content to sit at 14.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I think the argument is that CFB is gearing towards super conferences, and ESPN is driving that bus.

In that scenario, Iowa State's brand value is high enough that it should warrant inclusion in the top 64, and if the B1G sees that scenario coming down the line, they would be wise to pick up ISU/KU now.

It's not so much whether ISU is worth as much as Oklahoma or Texas, but more a question of whether ISU is worth as much or more than the rest of the Big 12 orphans.

I know it seems crazy, but there's a good chance that ISU's brand is "worth" $55 million. In 2019, our total revenues eclipsed $95 million; this was before the fiesta bowl and continued top 10 placement in polls/media exposure. Obviously revenue isn't the same as brand value, but for reference, this is about the same number as schools like Okie State (we're actually marginally ahead in revenue, somewhat surprisingly), VA Tech, Colorado, Utah, NC State.
I keep picturing something like ESPN gets all the SEC rights, and pays each player like 100 grand.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Could the remaining 8 teams just merge with the pac and do east west divisions. 20 team mega conf.
The problem with that is the Arizona schools, Colorado or Utah wouldn't want to give up all their California games which would cut off that pipeline.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I agree that college football will eventually become a one league NFL mini, but why do we think it will be 64 teams? I think it is more likely closer to the 32 teams (those who hold the mega viewership power). Anything after that is just dilution.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Pretty much this. The Big 10 has no incentive to expand right now. Barring something crazy with the CFP thing, they seem content to sit at 14.
The problem for the Big 10 is if they don't try to keep up with the SEC, what would stop the SEC from reaching out to Ohio State and Michigan and trying to grow their super league? This whole thing sucks for the sport of college football.

whatthewhat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 7, 2019
The only incentive is that if expanding is inevitable, right now they have the pick of who they want. If they wait a couple years, they are reaching into the conference that is made up of the leftovers.