Updated “Way Too Early” Rankings

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This ESPN writer now has us at #6, up from #8.

OU went from #3 to #1.

Hmm. Perhaps a televised Spring game would have been an advantage? What else is ESPN+ for this time of year?

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I know it is still so far away, but Nov. 20 in Norman is going to be massive. There is a potential to have both teams at 10-0 heading into that matchup. If that was the case, it would also be a near guarantee of a rematch in Dallas two weeks later.

There is even an outside shot that the Big 12 has two 12-1 teams, and their only losses are to each other. Should that happen, the discourse around the playoff will be insane.

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021
I know it is still so far away, but Nov. 20 in Norman is going to be massive. There is a potential to have both teams at 10-0 heading into that matchup. If that was the case, it would also be a near guarantee of a rematch in Dallas two weeks later.

There is even an outside shot that the Big 12 has two 12-1 teams, and their only losses are to each other. Should that happen, the discourse around the playoff will be insane.

Put both of us in so we can have a third game against each other in the championship game.

Or better yet, just go undefeated in the regular and post season!

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive

My scenario for two Big 12 teams in the playoff is ISU loses to OU in November but then wins the Big 12 championship game. There would be a pretty good chance of both teams to be in the playoff. Oh man that would drive a lot of people crazy. (This assumes both are undefeated otherwise)

• Agree
Reactions: CapnCy and zcecsch

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

They will leave us both out because....well....because.

• Disagree
  • Winner
Reactions: Aclone and cmjh10

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

If that scenario comes to pass-- we're not the SEC; the national media will have it on repeat that the B12 championship game was a de facto elimination round for the playoffs, and the loser will get shipped to the NY6. Meanwhile the one-loss SEC team that didn't win their division will be talked up as being the team deserving of that fourth playoff spot, because, you know, they lost to the SEC champion, and that loss was weeks ago!! /puke

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

The way out conference is set up losing that game and going 8-1 or 7-2 might be the highest % chance of a title.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I love this stuff...and then I remember we have two games to start the year that we have not performed all that well in! Never thought I would ever see the day when Iowa State football is talked about in these terms! Double-digit wins is a total I really never thought would be seen for our Cyclones! I hope for huge things like all of you are...but at the same time...a 10 win season would be huge!

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
despite all this hype, I am afraid of the month of September because we seem to be super lethargic...that said UNI looked horrible this spring season (I know it was a weird season) and we should have no issues with them at all. Iowa is Iowa and I want to get over that hump. UNLV I think is worse than UNI and we'll probably have a home field advantage in Vegas so that game I am the least worried about in the non con.

Reactions: BigCyFan

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
This ESPN writer now has us at #6, up from #8.

OU went from #3 to #1.

Hmm. Perhaps a televised Spring game would have been an advantage? What else is ESPN+ for this time of year?

wish we had them still...would draw a pretty big crowd...Campbell and co. might be the most low key, secretive staff in the country

Reactions: Aclone

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021
despite all this hype, I am afraid of the month of September because we seem to be super lethargic...that said UNI looked horrible this spring season (I know it was a weird season) and we should have no issues with them at all. Iowa is Iowa and I want to get over that hump. UNLV I think is worse than UNI and we'll probably have a home field advantage in Vegas so that game I am the least worried about in the non con.

Yeah, Iowa is the only non conf team I am worried about. Iowa will probably be our second hardest game this season, after the Oklahoma game. I pray to the corn god that there's no torrential downpours this year!

Reactions: frackincygy

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
Yeah, Iowa is the only non conf team I am worried about. Iowa will probably be our second hardest game this season, after the Oklahoma game. I pray to the corn god that there's no torrential downpours this year!
haha same...please no rain delays..and if there's a chance...I say move it to the UNI-Dome

• Agree
Reactions: zcecsch

zcecsch

Feb 6, 2021
Having both us and Oklahoma start so high in the rankings does give us a good chance to make the playoffs if we only lose to each other. Although both games being both towards the end of the year makes it so we both have little to no time to climb back up the rankings after the drop from the losses. If going into the Championship game, we are ranked 3 and 7 or something, the winner might not jump high enough and the loser would fall too far. If we are ranked 1 and 5 or something, then I think we could make it. All depends on what the landscape outside of the big 12 looks like.

That being said, just winning out helps guarantee that we do make it regardless haha

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
The only good thing about the rain delays was that we forced Nebraska to play on Fox business or some other obscure channel
yes I do remember that...however that game for us did not end well and I am still in shock at how that could possibly happen

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Excited that we are getting some good pre season rankings. That’s part of the battle, getting a high ranking early so that a loss down the stretch doesn’t hurt as much.

On the other side, the rest of the top of the rankings is the same thing we’ve seen since the playoffs started. Getting bonding.

• Agree
Reactions: zcecsch and Aclone