The Fran fade

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Not saying this will happen - But coaches that have kids on the team IA (2) on scolly really have two open scollys open to give at anytime if something if a stud falls in their lap. I'm sure there is a roster size that would challenge this

I've never understood why a coach would put his own kid on scholarship. You are making millions, pay for your kid to walkon and use the open scholly to go get another good kid. Seems like a waste of a scholly to me.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think people (most Iowa fans) are going to be incredibly surprised with just how important Luka was to the team.

I don't think you can even begin to stress how much he opened the floor. The thing Iowa is going to miss most that nobody talks about is that Garza was a run stopper. nine times out of ten when the other team got on a small run Iowa was able to go to Garza inside to stop the bleeding. Not only do they not have that anymore, they literally have zero players who can create their own shot. Murray is probably he closes thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Hawk friends were excited as they were told they were getting a transfer commit yesterday and it turns out to be a walk-on getting a scholly lol.

• Haha
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I think we all knew the inevitable crash was coming, but I didn't think it would look quite this ugly. There's actually a decent chance that we get more wins next season than they do. It's insane when you consider one team was a 2 seed and the other won 2 total games.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyclonesRock

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Hawk friends were excited as they were told they were getting a transfer commit yesterday and it turns out to be a walk-on getting a scholly lol.

Just imagine being like "No, nowhere in the 1,000+ available transfers is there a guy who can come in and help our team more than the walk-on who averaged 2 ppg last year in mop-up time."

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think we all knew the inevitable crash was coming, but I didn't think it would look quite this ugly. There's actually a decent chance that we get more wins next season than they do. It's insane when you consider one team was a 2 seed and the other won 2 total games.

Their only hope is Joe W coming back and Murray proving he can take the next step to a 2nd or 3rd team All Big 10 type player. Murray is the wildcard to me. Showed the ability to be a very good role player last year, and certainly showed flashes. But can he be a focal point, 15-20 ppg guy? Who knows.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not saying this will happen - But coaches that have kids on the team IA (2) on scolly really have two open scollys open to give at anytime if something if a stud falls in their lap. I'm sure there is a roster size that would challenge this
I don't think he can give at any time. Once the semester starts aren't scholarships considered taken for the year? I think ISU got burned by this before when a player reported for fall classes and then left the program and school just a week or two later. I don't think it is like Fran could take Connor off of scholarship around winter break to bring in a second semester transfer.

• Agree
Reactions: IceCyIce

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Connor has been on the team for 4 years and hasn’t ever been taken off scholarship in order to add a stud player. I’m not saying Fran wouldn’t do that, but getting a stud via the portal is not going to happen.
GMac took Mcbuckets off scholly for atleast a year IIRC.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He was already on scholarship last year. That one was given to him out of respect and dedication to the program. This scholarship was given to him because they need anyone with a heartbeat at the moment.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Fran and assistants were seen watching IM games on campus hoping they can some get a couple bodies to fill the roster.
There are better players than Ash playing at the rec center in Iowa City and Ames right now. That is 100% a fact.
But Fran was watching between 9:45 and 9:49 on Monday morning and didn't see anybody worthy.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Hey @iahawks I see you!
Wait, Bolton's future was determined by a team vote? Yikes!

Interesting notes on kxno:
Downs just said Fran asked the team if they were OK with Jordan coming back.

(This will be interesting seeing what our resident Hawk friends thought of Bolton's situation)
Interestingly enough, I heard Jordan’s vote wasn’t exactly unanimous in wanting him back..
Thoughts @iahawks ?

Reactions: BCClone

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I think it’s a Fran requirement that most hawk players have rodent like features.

Fran has taken the term gym rat too literally.

But I can see Fran’s strategy. If youre ugly I guess it keeps your focus on basketball/school and not chasing girls. Fran couldnt keep Woodbury from chasing them, though, and by chasing them in Woodbury’s case I mean literally chasing them down the street, probably while making the shooshing gesture

Reactions: Cyismymonkey

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Austin's Dad has a retirement party in June at Sag Wagon, in Cedar Rapids, if you want an Austin Ash autograph. Good kid.

Reactions: ATCy