Kylie Feuerbach in transfer portal

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
6) After the news of Kylie transferring out broke, some fans wanted CBF to post a "thank you" statement in public as he did to Middle Wise. I'm glad he didn't. As a matter of fact, CBF being so classy that he allows Kylie to transfer to any school of her choice is the biggest "thank you" note to her.

LOL. He had NO choice, or any say in the matter once she decided to transfer. The schools are obligated to post the students name to the portal within two business days of being requested. That action is by the schools compliance officer, not the coach. The schools/coaches haven't had "veto" over where a student can go for a number of years. Of course, like any departure, a coach can provide a good reference or even help a player who is moving down levels find a spot. Not in this situation, obviously, but we have done that for end of the bench players that were never going to be in the rotation here, your basic recruiting misses.

Last edited:

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
After riding all the excitement from our MBB and WBB program (Lipsey and Diew's commitments), the weekend comes as sour as it could get with KF's decision to go to the dark side. I had to let it sink in for a while before I could post some logical thoughts.

1) Our loyal WBB fanbase is usually very classy when a player departs from the program. We appreciate her contribution and wish her well in the future. Even after Kylie posted her decision on Twitter, there's hardly any single negative reply from the CyclONEnation. But it's still way overboard.

2) This ISU--->UI transfer thing rarely happens (has it happened in our WBB program during CBF's tenure?). It's so few because there's a moral code out there that forbids this kind of transfer. The players know it. Yes Kylie might be happy that she thought she's in a "better" place but her "happiness" has put our die-hard WBB fans who supported and appreciated her into misery. As a third-generation Cyclone in the family, she should've known this a lot better.

3) Kylie might be the person who made the final decision but I can bet there's a lot of influence in her close circle pushing her over the edge and making her commit to the "enemy".

4) The Kylie and Diew's transfers happened almost at the same time means it has been brewing long before it went public. The coaching staff knew it and has had a replacement player ready. Please check Diew's Twitter page as she retweeted Kylie's transfer out of ISU statement on April 6 and later tweeted her transferring out of Butler statement on the same day. By comparing the stats of both players, I think Diew will be a better player ISU needs in the wing position, especially on the defensive end.

Nyamer Diew Statistics (from HerHoopStats)

PER GAME

%iles | Ranks | None
SEASONTEAMGGSMINPTSFGMFGAFG%2PM2PA2P%3PM3PA3P%FTMFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTTOVSTLBLKPF
2020-21Butler16
45%
64%
47%
37%
32%
35%
36.4%
35%
27%
28%
39.0%
28%
61%
57%
33.3%
65%
47%
39%
80.0%
81%
26%
50%
40%
36%
74%
51%
96%
86%

Kylie Feuerbach Statistics (from HerHoopStats)

PER GAME

%iles | Ranks | None
2020-21Iowa St.28
98%
94%
43%
39%
42%
45%
36.0%
33%
42%
41%
42.6%
42%
58%
61%
27.1%
29%
29%
30%
64.3%
31%
36%
50%
45%
26%
67%
30%
70%
64%

5) The Cyhawk game in Dec. 2021 will be the most anticipated game in recent memories. This will be the most important game for the rest of the year 2021. This is a "MUST WIN' for ISU. I'm sure there will be extra motivation for our players and coaching staff. Kylie, are you ready to taste the other side of "Hilton Magic"?

6) After the news of Kylie transferring out broke, some fans wanted CBF to post a "thank you" statement in public as he did to Middle Wise. I'm glad he didn't. As a matter of fact, CBF being so classy that he allows Kylie to transfer to any school of her choice is the biggest "thank you" note to her.

So many issues here it’s tough to know where to start.

I don’t think she spent even a second worrying about the ISU fan base when she made a decision about her future. And I assure you she fully realizes her school of choice is going to upset some passionate fans.

The comment about influences is beyond odd. She has a relationship with the players and coaches and it’s a good program, closer to home. It doesn’t have to be more complicated than that. I doubt at their heart the family is thrilled with her choice but I can tell you they respected it. And she’s no idiot...she made the choice knowing this.

All your stats showed is that overall, Diew played at or below KFs level in a decidedly inferior conference. That isn’t to say she’s not a great addition and won’t be a good player for us but your commentary is a stretch to say the least.

The Iowa game is never a must win. Both programs are strong. Both programs have lost the game and went on to have strong seasons. It’s great competition and the games are enjoyable but a must win it is decidedly not. And with Iowa having won 4 straight basketball games in Hilton, how much magic is really at work these days?

BF has zero control over where an athlete chooses to transfer to. It’s a little odd that so many people keep propagating that falsehood.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames

I don’t think she spent even a second worrying about the ISU fan base when she made a decision about her future. And I assure you she fully realizes her school of choice is going to upset some passionate fans.

The comment about influences is beyond odd. She has a relationship with the players and coaches and it’s a good program, closer to home. It doesn’t have to be more complicated than that. I doubt at their heart the family is thrilled with her choice but I can tell you they respected it. And she’s no idiot...she made the choice knowing this.

All your stats showed is that overall, Diew played at or below KFs level in a decidedly inferior conference. That isn’t to say she’s not a great addition and won’t be a good player for us but your commentary is a stretch to say the least.

The Iowa game is never a must win. Both programs are strong. Both programs have lost the game and went on to have strong seasons. It’s great competition and the games are enjoyable but a must win it is decidedly not. And with Iowa having won 4 straight basketball games in Hilton, how much magic is really at work these days?

BF has zero control over where an athlete chooses to transfer to. It’s a little odd that so many people keep propagating that falsehood.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

When discussing topics related to TOE, I just want you to know people have feelings that can't be comforted by some kind of objective persuasion.

To me, this upcoming CyHwak game is a MUST WIN. We have lost to them five times (not four) in a roll. It's now the time we beat them. I'm sure a lot of fans would share the same opinion.

Yes the Hilton Magic is still there and will only become more fierce than ever when TOE comes.

I know CBF can't block her to transfer to a certain school but some coaches would still ask the players who transfer out not to go to in-state rival schools behind the closed door. I doubt CBF did that.

Last edited:

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA

Diew was recovering from an injury and production and playing time were up by the end of the year. She moved into a starting roll later in the season. So I would guess her ability is better than the years stats.

You either know her or the family or are guessing and obviously have strong opinions. I do know that the coaching staff was completely caught off guard by her leaving, so if she was unhappy she was good at hiding it.

She will hopefully do fine at Iiwa as Iowa State will be fine with the team they put out there. In reality her role this coming year as a Hawk or a Clone should be very similar. Good chance she would have been or will be the 1st off the bench in either program. Iowa State will be fine and hopefully Kylie has succes with her move.

She will not have a good reception when she plays in Hilton, but from a fan perspective why would she.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I am curious. It’s been said Diew was a stronger defender and more physical. Where in those stats did you find Diew was inferior in those area to KF?

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
LOL. He had NO choice, or any say in the matter once she decided to transfer. The schools are obligated to post the students name to the portal within two business days of being requested. That action is by the schools compliance officer, not the coach. The schools/coaches haven't had "veto" over where a student can go for a number of years. Of course, like any departure, a coach can provide a good reference or even help a player who is moving down levels find a spot. Not in this situation, obviously, but we have done that for end of the bench players that were never going to be in the rotation here, your basic recruiting misses.
On paper, yes CBF can't block any player from transferring to a certain school as in the past. But we all know behind closed doors a lot of negotiations still happened, which we will probably never know. But judging the moral character of CBF, I doubt he would ever ask Kylie not to go to Iowa when she informed him of her transfer decision.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I am curious. It’s been said Diew was a stronger defender and more physical. Where in those stats did you find Diew was inferior in those area to KF?
Her stats might not be eye-catching because she is still recovering from a terrible injury, played in a not-so-good WBB program that was interrupted by Covid last season. I think as long as she buys into her role, with better coaching she will develop into a nice rotational player for us. She has the physical tool to achieve that, especially on the defensive end.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm and BCClone

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Don’t be silly. Nobody really cares about losing the player (we have guard depth), it’s simply the fact the player was one of our starters and just transferred out to our in-state rival.

This next Cy-Hawk game is going to be a doozy.

tenor.gif
I totally agree wasn’t the girls team problem at having some size and a little depth at that ? We have a ton of talent at guard....

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Agree on your conference and stats take. I am cautiously optimistic on Diew, more so than on some of our past "project" recruits, and she did at least get to experience some top competition vs UConn and other ranked teams at Butler. I would think her injuries set her back (2nd ACL) and she was playing out of position compared to where she will play at ISU. She did play her best game (double/double) against #25 DePaul near seasons end. She's seems pretty athletic (blocks) and has the length so might be a bit of a sleeper or late bloomer. We will see, at this point it's mostly unrealized potential but that potential seems to be there and be more that just a hope and a prayer. I am assuming that since she played for North Tartan and HS in Sioux City and Worthington that she's fairly well known to the staff so that adds some to it for me.

^ And none of that is meant as any sort of diss to Feuerbach, just my observation on Diew.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
When did it become mandatory to have to sing kumbaya when players choose to leave a program early? Let 'em handle it privately however they want to and don't lose any sleep over it. Next thing ya know we will be concerned that we didn't see a picture published showing Coach giving her a certificate of participation (insert major sarcasm emoji here)
I would try to provide rewarding and challenging work for the engineers that worked in my department. Over the years, I rarely lost anyone. When I did, I would not attend their going away party. They were history to me. My focus was on the people that wanted to be here. I guess I'm a bad person.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
IMO people need to get over the fact that Kylie transferred to Iowa. It's her life to live and I'm sure her thought process DID NOT include how to piss off random angry Cyclone fans. If going to Iowa makes her happy from a school and basketball standpoint- more power to Kylie.

I would be willing to bet 90% of Cyclone fans know someone who attended both schools.

I know people who went to Iowa. Doesn’t mean I like them.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
After riding all the excitement from our MBB and WBB program (Lipsey and Diew's commitments), the weekend comes as sour as it could get with KF's decision to go to the dark side. I had to let it sink in for a while before I could post some logical thoughts.

1) Our loyal WBB fanbase is usually very classy when a player departs from the program. We appreciate her contribution and wish her well in the future. Even after Kylie posted her decision on Twitter, there's hardly any single negative reply from the CyclONEnation. But it's still way overboard.

2) This ISU--->UI transfer thing rarely happens (has it happened in our WBB program during CBF's tenure?). It's so few because there's a moral code out there that forbids this kind of transfer. The players know it. Yes Kylie might be happy that she thought she's in a "better" place but her "happiness" has put our die-hard WBB fans who supported and appreciated her into misery. As a third-generation Cyclone in the family, she should've known this a lot better.

3) Kylie might be the person who made the final decision but I can bet there's a lot of influence in her close circle pushing her over the edge and making her commit to the "enemy".

4) The Kylie and Diew's transfers happened almost at the same time means it has been brewing long before it went public. The coaching staff knew it and has had a replacement player ready. Please check Diew's Twitter page as she retweeted Kylie's transfer out of ISU statement on April 6 and later tweeted her transferring out of Butler statement on the same day. By comparing the stats of both players, I think Diew will be a better player ISU needs in the wing position, especially on the defensive end.

Nyamer Diew Statistics (from HerHoopStats)

PER GAME

%iles | Ranks | None
2020-21Butler16
45%
64%
47%
37%
32%
35%
36.4%
35%
27%
28%
39.0%
28%
61%
57%
33.3%
65%
47%
39%
80.0%
81%
26%
50%
40%
36%
74%
51%
96%
86%

Kylie Feuerbach Statistics (from HerHoopStats)

PER GAME

%iles | Ranks | None
2020-21Iowa St.28
98%
94%
43%
39%
42%
45%
36.0%
33%
42%
41%
42.6%
42%
58%
61%
27.1%
29%
29%
30%
64.3%
31%
36%
50%
45%
26%
67%
30%
70%
64%

5) The Cyhawk game in Dec. 2021 will be the most anticipated game in recent memories. This will be the most important game for the rest of the year 2021. This is a "MUST WIN' for ISU. I'm sure there will be extra motivation for our players and coaching staff. Kylie, are you ready to taste the other side of "Hilton Magic"?

Player happiness > fan happiness. Always. Under no circumstance ever should a player feel obligated to choose a college (or transfer in this case) because of how strangers might feel about it.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I'd like to chime in about Kylie's plays as a basketball player on the court. By watching her play this past season, I just don't get the feeling that she's totally comfortable in our system. Yes she can do a lot of things but very few of them would stand out and make fans recognize that's her bread and butter. Her offensive efficiency was not that good. Her assist/turnover ratio is almost 1:2 (19-36). There's a reason she's wide open on the 3-pt line because the opponents knew she's a poor perimeter shooter. Yes she's more a slasher but sometimes she would force the issue (won't shoot the 3s when open because she's not confident she would make it) by driving to the teeth of the defense that either resulted in shots in a high degree of difficulty or turned it over (blocked or offensive fouls). And her passing ability in traffic is not her strong suit either. Sometimes she would show the fearlessness in her but some other times she would display hesitancy and indecision in games. Maybe she didn't feel she was used the right way by the coaching staff, or maybe her overall basketball IQ is not as high as we would expect. Well, that remains to be determined. Since she's only about a 2-hour drive away from Ames, we will for sure keep a close eye on her to see if she turns out as good as we originally thought to be.

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Well, my daughter went to Iowa and I didn't disown her. Maybe I should have? :)
I think it's OK for a regular student to go to their parent's alma mater's rival school. Keith Murphy's wife Jenny is an ISU grad but his son went to Iowa, which servers as a good example.

Fred Hoiberg's daughter Paige went to Kansas and there wasn't much buzz back then.

But a well-known and well-loved student-athlete going to your most hated rival school is a much bigger issue because the player's decision causes great impact on both rival schools and their fanbases. It affects far more people's lives than a regular student does. Maybe I'm old school, I just don't like some of today's student athletes' mentality of putting me first and seeking instant gratification without sacrificing for the greater good of the people and community around them.

I appreciate players like Maddie Wise even more today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron