*** 2021 Masters Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
So happy it’s back in its normal slot. It was fun to see the scores from last year but it should be played in April. Can’t wait!

I’m going with Justin Thomas. He’s going to break through for his second sooner than later.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Hello Friends....the Masters is back again.

Vijay has to be thinking WTF?!?!

Have to think Bryson is going to have to rebuild his swing once he gets a little mileage on him. What he is doing is amazing, but one back injury and he won't be able to swing that violently any more.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Have to think Bryson is going to have to rebuild his swing once he gets a little mileage on him. What he is doing is amazing, but one back injury and he won't be able to swing that violently any more.
Watching that clip I was thinking the same thing. I just don't see how a swing like that can be sustainable.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Tiger has to be thinking "boy if you only knew..."

Although honestly I kind of appreciate it. Go big while you're young. How many of these guys have their "prime" completely disappear. Look at what Spieth went through for that multiple year stretch, or what Fowler is doing now. Rory hasn't won a Major since 2014.

Nothing is guaranteed so go out and maximize what you can right now.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Was gonna say the body isn't meant for that kind of torque over and over.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Tiger has to be thinking "boy if you only knew..."

Although honestly I kind of appreciate it. Go big while you're young. How many of these guys have their "prime" completely disappear. Look at what Spieth went through for that multiple year stretch, or what Fowler is doing now. Rory hasn't won a Major since 2014.

Nothing is guaranteed so go out and maximize what you can right now.
But in golf if you take care of your body you can have a very long career. The way he swings, one day something could pop and it would be nothing but back issues afterward.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
But in golf if you take care of your body you can have a very long career. The way he swings, one day something could pop and it would be nothing but back issues afterward.

A long career? Yes. But a successful career is more what I'm saying.

Would you rather by Bryson and have a great run where you win 3-4 Majors over a 2-3 year period, or be Rickie Fowler who will play professional until he's 50 but never win ****?

Not sure there's a right or wrong answer, but I guess I don't blame Bryson for just going for it.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Bryson needs to get better at approaching the green before he can win at Augusta. It's always been a second shot golf course.

He's 65th in GIR and 193rd in proximity to the hole. You have to leave yourself with a lot of short, uphill putts at Augusta. If not, you can 3 putt easily with the speed at which those greens role at.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
A long career? Yes. But a successful career is more what I'm saying.

Would you rather by Bryson and have a great run where you win 3-4 Majors over a 2-3 year period, or be Rickie Fowler who will play professional until he's 50 but never win ****?

Not sure there's a right or wrong answer, but I guess I don't blame Bryson for just going for it.

Fowler wins a major every night he goes home to Allison

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Bryson needs to get better at approaching the green before he can win at Augusta. It's always been a second shot golf course.

He's 65th in GIR and 193rd in proximity to the hole. You have to leave yourself with a lot of short, uphill putts at Augusta. If not, you can 3 putt easily with the speed at which those greens role at.
He's 15th in strokes gained for approach this season

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
He's 15th in strokes gained for approach this season

I believe strokes gained is influenced by distance. As in he benefits from length(1st). It also doesn't account for shots 50 yards and in (43rd in SG around the green). Bryson's length gives him more opportunites for Eagles (1st) and birdies(6th). But also his inaccuracy gives him the opportinity for more above par numbers (He had 13 bogies or worse last fall)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I believe strokes gained is influenced by distance. As in he benefits from length(1st). It also doesn't account for shots 50 yards and in (43rd in SG around the green). Bryson's length gives him more opportunites for Eagles (1st) and birdies(6th). But also his inaccuracy gives him the opportinity for more above par numbers (He had 13 bogies or worse last fall)

To be fair, I had 13 bogies or worse last round.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

That’s the whole plan. Seems to be working out fairly well.