Transfer Portal in wrestling

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
How likely is a 165 transfer?
Are we concerned about 174 as well? And will Broderson move up a weight?
I think Iowa State has a great pitch for a 165. Not many programs have the pitch that you get to train with David and Metcalf and essentially have a spot in the lineup next year.

Last edited:

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
I think Iowa State has a great pitch for a 165. Not many programs have the pitch that you get to train with David and Metcalf and essentially have a spot in the lineup next year.

Actually only one can promise that. ;-) But many can promise good workout partners and successful coaches. To varying degrees of course.

Reactions: stuclone

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Gary Traub (aka Gas Tank Gary) is in the portal. 285 lber NCAA qualifier from Ohio State
Jared Krattiger 174 lber from Wisconsin also in the portal

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
If Gremmel is not back, I'd take Traub to fill in for year.

Krattiger could be interesting if Borderson cant stay at 174. He was a borderline qualifier this year, beat Allar twice and had some close matches against some hammers. Actually got a takedown against Starocci in a 5-3 loss. Probably not the level of wrestler we should have our sights set on though.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I wonder how quickly we can hear from our guys if their coming back. I’m guessing we might need to move quickly to have a chance at some of these top tier guys

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Kizhan ClarkeGraduate149March 22American
Jared KrattigerRedshirt Soph174March 22Wisconsin
Gary TraubRedshirt Sr285March 22Ohio State

A few more interesting names. "Gas Tank Gary" transferring

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I wonder how quickly we can hear from our guys if their coming back. I’m guessing we might need to move quickly to have a chance at some of these top tier guys
There is room for considerable improvement at every weight except 157. If I am the coach and if there is a guy that fits my culture and can win matches and possibly score points at he NCAAs I am recruiting them regardless of who may/may not return. You could pass on somebody and then have a Mackall decide he's got more important things to do two weeks into the season (not blaming Alex... things change).

cywr89

May 14, 2009
That’s one way to kill the development of a team. Very few transfer are a can’t miss types but the rest have to be 1 year guys from a scholarship and team development stand point.

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
That’s one way to kill the development of a team. Very few transfer are a can’t miss types but the rest have to be 1 year guys from a scholarship and team development stand point.
Good point. But I do think 1 or 2 strategic transfers could enhance the development of the team while filling gaps. I certainly don’t think the team needs an outright overhaul; the trajectory has changed.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Good point. But I do think 1 or 2 strategic transfers could enhance the development of the team while filling gaps. I certainly don’t think the team needs an outright overhaul; the trajectory has changed.
It largely hinges on what guys come back. One of the studs at 65 is a no brainer though.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

Getting Willie Mikilus a couple years back is a good example of what you are saying. Don't need a complete overhaul, but a quality transfer here or there, in the right spots, can be a real boost to the program.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Respectfully disagree. People get recruited over everyday. Everybody knows the deal they sign up for. Good coaches give people the opportunity to compete for a spot. They don’t guarantee spots.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Respectfully disagree. People get recruited over everyday. Everybody knows the deal they sign up for. Good coaches give people the opportunity to compete for a spot. They don’t guarantee spots.
Seemed to work for Iowa this year. Without Eirman, they may not win the championship. 141 was certainly not a hole when he transferred in.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
Seemed to work for Iowa this year. Without Eirman, they may not win the championship. 141 was certainly not a hole when he transferred in.
The best programs are recruiting studs everyday one way or another and are 2-3 deep at most weight classes. The older Iowa teams had multiple wrestlers finally getting their chance as Jr or Sr and winning NCs (Jesse Whitmer and Kevin Dresser are examples A and B). Recruit the best and it will sort itself out... unless mediocrity is still going to be the norm.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
Honestly outside of Willie, Degen, Aaron Holker and Kevin Jackson I can't think of many transfers including Juco's that have made a big impact for us. Here are some off the top of my head.
Duke Burk - Came from N. Illinois as a R12 guy, i don't think he even made the R12 in his 2 years here.
Nate Carr Jr - Came from Iowa Central (JUCO), i think injuries played a part in him not doing as well in his few years.
Chris Drouin - Came from Arizona State as a former AA, I think he qualified for the NCAA tourney with us,
Matt Gibson - Was at a Juco in California, he ended up AA'ing his senior year
Phil Hawes - Came from JUCO, not sure if he even hit the mat for us.
Patrick Hunter - Came from JUCO. didn't do much for us
John Nicholson - Transfer from ODU, never made NCAA's at ISU, but qualified 2 times at ODU.
Earl Hall - Kinda a transfer came from OTC 2xAA
Pat Downey - Transfer from JUCO, We all know this story, 1 x AA at ISU
Danny Bush - Transfer from IA Central (JUCO), won a few matches for us
Skylar St. John - Transfer from Iowa, injuries cut his time here short
Todd Small - Transfer from JUCO, qualified for NCAA's

I may have missed some older transfers, but this is recently. So we've had a few guys that contributed, but nothing earth shattering. Not saying we shouldn't look at transfers, just saying a transfer probably isn't going to majorly change our program (unless we got like a Woods, Griffith or Wick type of guy). So i think what Dresser and Co are doing is what we need to do, get some freshman and develop them.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Honestly outside of Willie, Degen, Aaron Holker and Kevin Jackson I can't think of many transfers including Juco's that have made a big impact for us. Here are some off the top of my head.
Duke Burk - Came from N. Illinois as a R12 guy, i don't think he even made the R12 in his 2 years here.
Nate Carr Jr - Came from Iowa Central (JUCO), i think injuries played a part in him not doing as well in his few years.
Chris Drouin - Came from Arizona State as a former AA, I think he qualified for the NCAA tourney with us,
Matt Gibson - Was at a Juco in California, he ended up AA'ing his senior year
Phil Hawes - Came from JUCO, not sure if he even hit the mat for us.
Patrick Hunter - Came from JUCO. didn't do much for us
John Nicholson - Transfer from ODU, never made NCAA's at ISU, but qualified 2 times at ODU.
Earl Hall - Kinda a transfer came from OTC 2xAA
Pat Downey - Transfer from JUCO, We all know this story, 1 x AA at ISU
Danny Bush - Transfer from IA Central (JUCO), won a few matches for us
Skylar St. John - Transfer from Iowa, injuries cut his time here short
Todd Small - Transfer from JUCO, qualified for NCAA's

I may have missed some older transfers, but this is recently. So we've had a few guys that contributed, but nothing earth shattering. Not saying we shouldn't look at transfers, just saying a transfer probably isn't going to majorly change our program (unless we got like a Woods, Griffith or Wick type of guy). So i think what Dresser and Co are doing is what we need to do, get some freshman and develop them.

Mackall was on his way to becoming an excellent transfer. Still did very well for us