Report: T.J. Otzelberger headed for Iowa State

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Mike Taylor, Wes Johnson, Diante, Hambone were probably the best of his signees although that verifies your second point (other than DG).
I thought we could get more out of Chris Colin and Dendy but they flamed.
Peterson really wasn't a B12 PG body
Jimmy Bulter on the Bill Simmons podcast said he was going to go to Iowa State to play with Johnson until he transferred.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Mike Taylor, Wes Johnson, Diante, Hambone were probably the best of his signees although that verifies your second point (other than DG).

Then you had Boozer, Haluska, Dodie Dunson, all *******

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have figured out why I’ve never liked the idea of TJ. I like an underdog. And he’s never been an underdog. He’s close with the AD. He’s close with the media. He’s close with the money people. And he has certain posters on here that only show up to talk him up. And while he may deserve this job, those items make it SEEM like he’s getting based on those relationships.

Weird.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I’m not saying TJ will or won’t be successful here, if he is the hire, but some of the posters in here act like if we don’t hire the hottest coaching commodity out there that Jamie sucks at his job. If people would quick being dicks and think about who actually is available this year and who will come to Iowa State, they would realize that pool isn’t very deep this year.

We all want basketball to be good again, trust me I get that, but there are so many ******* children on this website it makes me wonder what some of you are like in real life.
This is the perfect summary for the TJisUs group. Just because many folks would actually like a group of candidates to be interviewed doesn't mean we hate TJ. This TJ group simply cannot comprehend that there may be other capable candidates worth interviewing. Why would it bother you to have competition for TJ for the job?

Simply jumping to the three favorite replies isn't convincing to non-members of TJisUs:
1) TJ is clearly the best ever for ISU and should simply get the job without question
2) TJ is >>> Prohm (clearly true, but not a winning argument)
3) If #s 1&2 don't convince you, you obviously hate TJ and don't know a thing about BB.

If JP actually has an open mind and interviews some of these other qualified candidates and legitimately thinks TJ is the best pick, so be it.

Finally, to those who've sunken into the "woe is us, no one will like us" category, I know local reporters are feeding that, but if you've read the article on The Athletic about the ISU job, you'd feel a lot better about it. I'm not suggesting we're right there with KU and UNC, but ISU is an attractive opportunity. Any coach we hire will have risks, it's about trying to get the best fit, not simply settling for the guy who will take/love us - not suggesting that's TJ; that's how some come across with their seemingly blind/lone support for TJ.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Melvin Ejim was his best signee.

• Disagree
Reactions: isu83

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
TJ’s never been P5 coach before and is going to have to prove he can be.. how is that not an underdog? How is trying to prove that he can coach at this level and dig out a team that’s in the garbage not being an underdog?

Fred, Beilein, Matta, Altman. None of those guys are even remotely close to being underdogs.

• Agree
Reactions: cyence and Snydes

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

The treatment of Wesley Johnson was absolutely the worst

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
In any coaching search, people will have agendas.

I completely agree with this.

To me it just seems like more people are defending TJ as a viable option versus actively campaigning for him. Being optimistic that he might turn out to be a good hire seems like a far cry from what I would consider a fanboy.

FWIW, I think every option is a gamble. I like sifting through opinions and trying to see if someone can sway me one way or another. I've resolved to just wait and see if it will be TJ or someone else and then find a way to convince myself that it'll all be ok.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
TJ’s never been P5 coach before and is going to have to prove he can be.. how is that not an underdog? How is trying to prove that he can coach at this level and dig out a team that’s in the garbage not being an underdog?

Fred, Beilein, Matta, Altman. None of those guys are even remotely close to being underdogs.

This is true but not in relation to Iowa state.

He’s being hired for this job despite no other school being interested and his previous school wanting rid of him. He’s not an iowa state underdog.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
This is the perfect summary for the TJisUs group. Just because many folks would actually like a group of candidates to be interviewed doesn't mean we hate TJ. This TJ group simply cannot comprehend that there may be other capable candidates worth interviewing. Why would it bother you to have competition for TJ for the job?

Simply jumping to the three favorite replies isn't convincing to non-members of TJisUs:
1) TJ is clearly the best ever for ISU and should simply get the job without question
2) TJ is >>> Prohm (clearly true, but not a winning argument)
3) If #s 1&2 don't convince you, you obviously hate TJ and don't know a thing about BB.

If JP actually has an open mind and interviews some of these other qualified candidates and legitimately thinks TJ is the best pick, so be it.

Finally, to those who've sunken into the "woe is us, no one will like us" category, I know local reporters are feeding that, but if you've read the article on The Athletic about the ISU job, you'd feel a lot better about it. I'm not suggesting we're right there with KU and UNC, but ISU is an attractive opportunity. Any coach we hire will have risks, it's about trying to get the best fit, not simply settling for the guy who will take/love us - not suggesting that's TJ; that's how some come across with their seemingly blind/lone support for TJ.

Never said I was a TJ guy. I hope we have interviewed other candidates but if that is the choice than so be it. I would prefer other candidates personally but I’m not going to throw a hissy first like some on here have and are currently doing over something we are honestly just speculating over. We know none of the actual details.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is true but not in relation to Iowa state.

He’s being hired for this job despite no other school being interested and his previous school wanting rid of him. He’s not an iowa state underdog.
Have you ever thought that the reason other schools aren’t interested in him is because they believe his #1 goal is to be the coach for ISU?

And maybe the fans / school not wanting him there anymore has to do with the fact that they had a rough year and now are hearing TJ wants to leave so their mindset is “good riddance”?

I can almost guarantee you that if TJ would’ve said he’s 100% invested in UNLV there wouldn’t be this feeling towards him. Everyone knows he wants out.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Not to mention all of the haters and doubters on CF and Twitter.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
My sources are telling me we should hear an announcement today from Jamie naming Otz as our new coach. ISU and UNLV are working out the logistics of it all right now. A little underwhelming by the hire but hopefully he brings Hilton Magic back and a little life to this fanbase, sooner rather than later.
OK... but can you comment re: how Gibbs thought he could demand a certain salary to take the job...? Makes me question your veracity - no offense; just hard to believe.

Help Support Us

Become a patron