Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

Jul 26, 2020
What's your opinion on McDermott?
Coach McDermott is a good coach who struggled to get a quality Big 12 roster. He has had success in the Valley and Big East.
Doug McDermott was a great high school and college player. Great skill set and ability to create his own shot. He has below average athleticism for the NBA. He struggles to defend small forwards and is undersized for power forward. He is an average to above average catch and shoot player. He slashes fairly well to the basket for not being very quick but can struggle finishing against more athletic matchups. He has average to above average length and compensates with excellent traditional back to the basket post moves. He has good range on his shot and can be used to create matchup problems with certain players. While he was over hyped coming out of college and drafted too early, he has become a solid role player. He can stretch the floor in certain matchups and post up smaller players. His defense is a weakness.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Coach McDermott is a good coach who struggled to get a quality Big 12 roster. He has had success in the Valley and Big East.
Doug McDermott was a great high school and college player. Great skill set and ability to create his own shot. He has below average athleticism for the NBA. He struggles to defend small forwards and is undersized for power forward. He is an average to above average catch and shoot player. He slashes fairly well to the basket for not being very quick but can struggle finishing against more athletic matchups. He has average to above average length and compensates with excellent traditional back to the basket post moves. He has good range on his shot and can be used to create matchup problems with certain players. While he was over hyped coming out of college and drafted too early, he has become a solid role player. He can stretch the floor in certain matchups and post up smaller players. His defense is a weakness.

Actually McDermott had some
Pretty good rosters with Brackens, Garrett and the juco transfer. That’s what was so maddening

Reactions: Cytown12

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So I said in an earlier post that I think TJ could work out well here if he brought in an X's and O's guy like Lutz. While Lutz probably wont leave Fred, could Greg Lansing be that guy? Was a solid head coach at Indiana State for a number of years; kind of dumb of them to fire him. He's also an Iowa native (think he was on Alfords staff at Iowa).

He has Tim Buckley on his staff now. Lutz and Sadler were P5 coaches (although not overly successful ones, Buckley was the HC at Ball State for quite awhile. Midwest guy as well.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC

I don't necessarily disagree with the bolded, but McDermott actually had a number of talented players on his teams

* Wesley Johnson: 4th overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft. Played 9 seasons in the NBA
* Mike Taylor: 55th overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft. Played 1 season in the NBA and many overseas
* Diante Garrett: Played 2 seasons in the NBA and many overseas
* Craig Brackins: 21st overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft. Played 2 seasons in the NBA and many overseas
* Justin Hamilton: 45th overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft. Played 3 seasons in the NBA and others overseas

There are many others who have played high level basketball overseas too like Lucca Staiger who has played for years in the top Spanish and German leagues, Jiri Hubalek who has played in the top Italian league.

The 2007-08 team had Wes Johnson, Diante Garrett, and Craig Brackins. I think Lucca Staiger sat out half of that year IIRC. Rahshon Clark was on that team and he was a pretty good player. The following season had Garrett, Brackins, Hamilton, and Staiger. All of those guys either played in the NBA or played in the top European leagues. ISU should have definitely had a better outcome both of those years with good coaching. And even looking at it - 2006-07 had Mike Taylor, Wes Johnson, Hubalek, and Rahshon Clark. Those were all quality Big 12 players.

Reactions: Baseline23

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don't necessarily disagree with the bolded, but McDermott actually had a number of talented players on his teams

* Wesley Johnson: 4th overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft. Played 9 seasons in the NBA
* Mike Taylor: 55th overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft. Played 1 season in the NBA and many overseas
* Craig Brackins: 21st overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft. Played 2 seasons in the NBA and many overseas
* Justin Hamilton: 45th overall pick in the 2012 NBA draft. Played 3 seasons in the NBA and others overseas

There are many others who have played high level basketball overseas too like Lucca Staiger who has played for years in the top Spanish and German leagues, Jiri Hubalek who has played in the top Italian league.

The 2007-08 team had Wes Johnson, Diante Garrett, and Craig Brackins. I think Lucca Staiger sat out half of that year IIRC. The following season had Garrett, Brackins, Hamilton, and Staiger. All of those guys either played in the NBA or played in the top European leagues. ISU should have definitely had a better outcome both of those years with good coaching.

Also had Rahshon as a holdover for his first couple years

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008

The 2007-08 team had Wes Johnson, Diante Garrett, and Craig Brackins. I think Lucca Staiger sat out half of that year IIRC. The following season had Garrett, Brackins, Hamilton, and Staiger. All of those guys either played in the NBA or played in the top European leagues. ISU should have definitely had a better outcome both of those years with good coaching.
Lucca Staiger did nothing but stand at the three point line on offense, rarely crossed the three point line on offense and never played defense. Staiger was awful at every aspect of the game except shooting threes.

Reactions: cyatheart

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

He had some decent players but the Big 12 had a lot of fairly transcendent players during his time at ISU. Just off the top of my head Durant, Beasley, Griffin, Demare Carroll. One weird thing I remember is KU had really strong “team teams” during that time but no super transcendent players. Sherron Collins is the one I remember most. I could be off on the years though.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Wish he would announce his resignation immediately following the game. No reason to prolong the agony.
If he resigns, do we still owe him his contract money?

There's no way he walks away from the contract guarantees we owe him on his on accord with empty pockets.

Jul 26, 2020

The 2007-08 team had Wes Johnson, Diante Garrett, and Craig Brackins. I think Lucca Staiger sat out half of that year IIRC. Rahshon Clark was on that team and he was a pretty good player. The following season had Garrett, Brackins, Hamilton, and Staiger. All of those guys either played in the NBA or played in the top European leagues. ISU should have definitely had a better outcome both of those years with good coaching. And even looking at it - 2006-07 had Mike Taylor, Wes Johnson, Hubalek, and Rahshon Clark. Those were all quality Big 12 players.

There was some talent. McDermott failed at getting it done in Ames, but certainly has been successful elsewhere. His style of play coming out of the Valley was much more conservative.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Lucca Staiger did nothing but stand at the three point line on offense, rarely crossed the three point line on offense and never played defense. Staiger was awful at every aspect of the game except shooting threes.
Lucca also thought he was God

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If he resigns, do we still owe him his contract money?

There's no way he walks away from the contract guarantees we owe him on his on accord with empty pockets.

Yeah, a resignation would be a negotiated one. "have agreed to part ways" kind of resignation.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
He had some decent players but the Big 12 had a lot of fairly transcendent players during his time at ISU. Just off the top of my head Durant, Beasley, Griffin, Demare Carroll. One weird thing I remember is KU had really strong “team teams” during that time but no super transcendent players. Sherron Collins is the one I remember most. I could be off on the years though.
Chalmers?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron