*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Could part of it be apathy from the opponent?
No team is going to get "up" for every game. Stands to reason the ones they don't are against a team with 2 wins on the year.

ISU is capable of close games if the opponent is not focused, and ISU is hitting the 3 ball.
But good teams find a way to win most the time and poor teams find ways to lose most of the time

This is why you end up with 2-5 win seasons.
If you look at any last place teams in Power 6 conferences you'll see that even teams that go 2-16 don't get blown out every game.

I look at it like this, teams like Baylor are talented enough for 10 automatic wins, teams like Iowa St good for 10 automatic losses. Good teams grind out those other 8 games that come down to the final possessions and go 15-3, 16-2 and win a Big 12 title. Bad teams pile another 5 or 6 losses in those close games on top of the 10 already and end up 2-16 in the basement.

At the end of the day your record proves who you are.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Blackwell looks completely lost in the few minutes I've seen him play. He was the 2nd highest rated recruit alos behind Foster.

It's hard to tell if these guys just aren't good and huge recruiting misses or if they being lead by a completely inept coaching staff that cant develop them.

Blackwell is only go to thrive in an offense that plays fast and moves the ball around, he is a terrible fit for Prohm's generic, slow, 2 on 5 half court offense. Idk if he will pan out under another coach but he has no chance with this staff. I think you can make that case for Dubar and Walker as well, they are being asked to do things that don't play to their strengths. Walker standing around on the wing is a total waste, the one half he actually got to run things was about as smooth as the offense has gone this year. I wouldn't blame these 3 for feeling frustrated.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Since the inception of the Big 12 in 1996 here are the many Iowa State victories in Waco.........

March 4 2000
February 20 2013

Frickin Prohm
That is actually quite sad considering they were a perennial doormat the first 10-15 years of the Big 12's existence

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Just got done watching. Having King McClure picking apart our coaching down the stretch is just brutal. The dude is two years removed from playing college ball, yet he knows more than Prohm that has been coaching for 23 years. You can blame the players for execution every now and then in these situations, but this is a trend. That’s coaching.
King has done that in every one of our games he's called this year. Maybe he should get an interview.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not sure if this means something or not, but I think it's interesting that I haven't seen any of his higher-profile former players jump in to support him. I think maybe a few months ago Hali had a few tweets in support, but you don't hear much from Georges, Matt, Monte, Naz, etc.

Again, not sure it means anything, but just kind of interesting.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Just got done watching. Having King McClure picking apart our coaching down the stretch is just brutal. The dude is two years removed from playing college ball, yet he knows more than Prohm that has been coaching for 23 years. You can blame the players for execution every now and then in these situations, but this is a trend. That’s coaching.

Yup, after 19 games if the staff is still asking them to do things they have shown they aren't capable of, that's on the staff . It's their job to put guys in a position to succeed, instead, they just keep hammering square pegs in round holes.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm not sure if this means something or not, but I think it's interesting that I haven't seen any of his higher-profile former players jump in to support him. I think maybe a few months ago Hali had a few tweets in support, but you don't hear much from Georges, Matt, Monte, Naz, etc.

Again, not sure it means anything, but just kind of interesting.

Maybe because they are busy earning a living?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Well....IMO that tells me he expects no repercussions for bad play so he said eff it
I'm not sure why, but I was dumbfounded when Tre shot that 35 footer and Prohm didn't have a reaction. I guess I was expecting Steve to throw his hands up or something but nope, just kept his arms crossed and didn't show any signs that he was upset.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and chadly82

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
For all who were expecting to beat 17-0, #2 ranked BU, sorry for your disappointment. Up by 17, posters here promising a15 point loss. Sorry for your betting loss.

Play out the string, Prohm get fired, but some of this postgame discussion is pretty ridiculous.
OMG, how many ISU fans lost money last night? I know I lost a chunk, put $15 on ISU Moneyline at the under 8 TO in 1st half.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I'm not sure why, but I was dumbfounded when Tre shot that 35 footer and Prohm didn't have a reaction. I guess I was expecting Steve to throw his hands up or something but nope, just kept his arms crossed and didn't show any signs that he was upset.
Much like Bolton’s 10 second backcourt...it appears Steve stopped caring it really does...Cat Stevens can’t convince me otherwise

• Winner
Reactions: Yaz and Statefan10

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Maybe because they are busy earning a living?

I mean, sending out a Tweet takes all of about 30 seconds.

Again, could mean nothing. But they obviously know at this point Prohm could use some public support from high-profile guys like them, which wouldn't take more than a quick Tweet or two.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Much like Bolton’s 10 second backcourt...it appears Steve stopped caring it really does...Cat Stevens can’t convince me otherwise

See, I don't like the "stopped caring" narrative. He obviously cares. He's always had an ability to show restraint on the sideline that, while commendable, is kind of amazing to me. While I think he could stand to be more animated at times, I don't think his lack of outbursts should be construed as not caring.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I mean, sending out a Tweet takes all of about 30 seconds.

Again, could mean nothing. But they obviously know at this point Prohm could use some public support from high-profile guys like them, which wouldn't take more than a quick Tweet or two.

Maybe they want him replaced as well?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
See, I don't like the "stopped caring" narrative. He obviously cares. He's always had an ability to show restraint on the sideline that, while commendable, is kind of amazing to me. While I think he could stand to be more animated at times, I don't think his lack of outbursts should be construed as not caring.
As a coach you don't have to throw a tantrum to show care. It's more that there seems to be zero consequences to the bone headed mistakes that these guys make.

• Winner
Reactions: Kurttr and Snydes

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
So Haliburton has 23 points and 9 assists for the Sacramento Kings the other night, Horton-Tucker scores 7 for the LA Lakers, and Wigginton has 28 points and 7 assists in the G league. What do they all have in common? They were all recruited by Prohm and they would all be playing for Iowa State this season if they hadn't left early to turn pro. I certainly don't blame any of them for going pro, but imagine how different the season would be with those guys in the starting five.

When you take that much talent off your roster and you add to it the incredible misfortune our program has endured this season, it's easy to understand how things have turned so far south. I think Prohm is a wonderful human being and I believe he's the victim of the perfect storm of unfortunate circumstances. I also think he's a much better coach than many on this board think. I hate when bad things happen to good people.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There was no excuse for not pulling Rasir there and chewing his ass, and then putting him right back in. That s*** is inexcusable.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So Haliburton has 23 points and 9 assists for the Sacramento Kings the other night, Horton-Tucker scores 7 for the LA Lakers, and Wigginton has 28 points and 7 assists in the G league. What do they all have in common? They were all recruited by Prohm and they would all be playing for Iowa State this season if they hadn't left early to turn pro. I certainly don't blame any of them for going pro, but imagine how different the season would be with those guys in the starting five.

When you take that much talent off your roster and you add to it the incredible misfortune our program has endured this season, it's easy to understand how things have turned so far south. I think Prohm is a wonderful human being and I believe he's the victim of the perfect storm of unfortunate circumstances. I also think he's a much better coach than many on this board think. I hate when bad things happen to good people.

I do truly appreciate someone's ability to find the good in a situation.

But once you start getting paid millions of dollars to win baskeball games, you lose your ability to be cast as a hapless victim of circumstances. Both Wigginton and THT have been gone 2 years, and it was readily known they were both leaving sometime around November 2018. We should have recovered from that by now. It's that simple.

Roster turn-over is as big of part of coaching as anything now. There's not a team in America that doesn't deal with attrition, whether by NBA, transfer, etc. It's his job to put a competitive product on the floor each year and he's failed, and failed big over the last 2 years.

And as for him "being a much better coach than many think", I'd love to be given a single example of that over the course of the last 2 years. I have no idea how you can watch us play and think "that's a well coached team". We do not possess any of the hallmarks of a well coached team. None.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I don't think there's one person that thinks we'd be a bad team if those two players were on the roster this year. But look at last year in how we had Tyrese and by simply taking just him off the team, we went from average to absolutely suck. This year we don't have anyone with the talent level of Tyrese or THT and we're one of the worst teams in CBB.

If we were on the level of TCU this year, which is right above .500, there wouldn't be near as many people calling for Prohm's head. I for one even said at the beginning of the year that going .500 would mean there was drastic improvement and signs that Prohm deserved to stay on. We are not .500 nor even close to .500. We are absolutely awful. Lol

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron