Iowa State Wrestling tournament

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Matthew Lewis (Centerville) is still going for his 4th title tonight. Think he's the only one who had the potential coming into the tournament. Anyone know why he's at 145 though? Early season he wrestled 132 regularly. I know Ayala bumped up one weight class, but that seems mostly to avenge his loss to Block as they'll meet in the finals tonight.

There are a few guys in the sophomore and junior classes who can win their 2nd or 3rd tonight to stay on track for 4.
Can someone talk about what happened here? Why was he wrestling 132 and then went up to 145? I know their 138’s history - could he not beat him this year and struggled to make 132?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So going thru the champs and other top wrestlers, who do you think we have a shot at?

I assume the Lisbon & Don Bosco kids will be UNI or Iowa.
Garvin of ICW probably Iowa.
My guess is Voelker of WD will be UNI or Iowa.
WSR kids train at UNI?

What about the Waukee kids? John Meeks is an assistant there.
Entriksen of Hudson at Iowa State
Taylor of Solon?
Chet Buss looked tough. Football in college?
Mulder of Hull, Noonan of Cascade (is he the Wyoming commit?), the Osage kids
Jesuroga boys of SEP. Are they Iowa guys?

Last edited:

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Here's my take on Osage vs Indee match

1. It is stalling if a kid doesn't come back to the center of the mat when he's supposed to and that was clearly the case in my opinion. I'm also certain I saw the ref gave the kid a verbal warning earlier in the match and finally was forced to make that call. Whether the clock is running or not doesn't define stalling. The ref did his job and made a good call. (kudos to the ref)

2. Great job by the Indee kid for pulling off that last reversal. He found a way to win and the call was not controversial at all. (Congrats to that kid for a gutsy move at a clutch time in the match)

I do have some questions on HS rules since I follow college more closely now a days:
1. Are injury Timeout rules the same as college? (other guy gets his choice when they resume wrestling)
2. The out of bounds calls are very inconsistent and I think very hard for the refs. I love the college rules. Can someone explain to me the oob rules in HS? (I see a lot of complaints but I don't really know the HS rules) Also, has the HS level considered changing to the oob college rules? TIA

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Here's my take on Osage vs Indee match

1. It is stalling if a kid doesn't come back to the center of the mat when he's supposed to and that was clearly the case in my opinion. I'm also certain I saw the ref gave the kid a verbal warning earlier in the match and finally was forced to make that call. Whether the clock is running or not doesn't define stalling. The ref did his job and made a good call. (kudos to the ref)

2. Great job by the Indee kid for pulling off that last reversal. He found a way to win and the call was not controversial at all. (Congrats to that kid for a gutsy move at a clutch time in the match)

I do have some questions on HS rules since I follow college more closely now a days:
1. Are injury Timeout rules the same as college? (other guy gets his choice when they resume wrestling)
2. The out of bounds calls are very inconsistent and I think very hard for the refs. I love the college rules. Can someone explain to me the oob rules in HS? (I see a lot of complaints but I don't really know the HS rules) Also, has the HS level considered changing to the oob college rules? TIA

On injury timeouts, there is no penalty in high school

• Informative
Reactions: CyGold

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Agree, not remembering where kids are from when you called them yesterday is on the announcers.
2 Thoughts on this

1. I LOVED the new format compared to prior years (when they had one match really big and the other 2 matches small & announced the larger match). This allowed us to choose the match we wanted to focus on. Great job by the TV decision makers for making this change.

2. I can see where this change makes it harder for broadcasters. In the prior format they could focus on preparing for only one featured match at each weight. The new format required them to jump around and comment on all 3 matches that are going on at the same time... Pretty tough assignment IMO. Yes they made some mistakes but overall I thought they did a great job.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
So going thru the champs and other top wrestlers, who do you think we have a shot at?

WSR kids train at UNI?

Taylor of Solon?
Mulder of Hull, Noonan of Cascade, the Osage kids
buf - the Jesuroga family moved into the SEP school district a few years ago (maybe 3 or 4) from Texas (I think). I consider them Iowa guys as much as I consider the Portillo's are from Clarion or any other family that moved into the state. I guess you could call them transplants vs born and raised Iowans. I'm hoping they are going after them both hard but have no inside info on this.

• Informative
Reactions: buf87

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
On injury timeouts, there is no penalty in high school
Thanks - this is a rule that I think college has it right. I wonder why the Indee kid didn't just pull a 2 minute "fake" injury. He appeared to be gassed or sick or something. Yet the Osage kid was the one that couldn't hold onto that leg/position as the time wound down. He was clearly the aggressor but he was also tired at the end and didn't have the strength to hold on.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So Meeks is an Assistant at Waukee
Andersen is a coach at Ankeny. (Isn't he a former Iowa State wrestler and can't remember the 1st name)

Any other Iowa State coaching connections

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I want to get excited about Greenlee, but what did he do the final period when he needed a takedown to win? Not a darn thing.
I'm guessing that you often think Degen is stalling when he wrestles. I thought Greenlee was very active trying to work a lot of arm drags, slide buys and snap downs & go behinds. It was obvious to me that Liddle was a lot bigger and stronger, he stayed in great position and Greenlee felt he couldn't shoot underneath. He only needed 2 to tie it up so there wasn't any need to go for a big throw. I am very excited about Greenlee... Imagine him adding 40 to 60 pounds and re-wrestling that match. The future is bright for him.

Congrats to Liddle for staying in great position. His takedown was a thing of beauty. It was a perfect setup, and quick finish and as often happens against two evenly matched wrestlers that was the difference in that match.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz and jmb1498

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Can someone talk about what happened here? Why was he wrestling 132 and then went up to 145? I know their 138’s history - could he not beat him this year and struggled to make 132?
I can't speak to why he jumped up but I can say that I don't think Ayala has anything to do with it because Ayala is 3A and Centerville is 2A.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Is this Richard Buss's grandson? *ick was a big grain farmer around Clarksville back in the 80's & 90's when I was managing/merchandising the Elevator in Clarksville, Waverly and Waterloo. I bought a lot of grain from him and he was a real nice guy.

I can't believe it won't let me type Rick with a D!!

I'm sure they are related. It's Shane Buss's son, who was a football player for Allison-Bristow in the mid 90s. Not sure what the relation is between Shane and Rick but if you know small town Iowa, 99% of people with the same last name in a geographic area are related somehow.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm sure they are related. It's Shane Buss's son, who was a football player for Allison-Bristow in the mid 90s. Not sure what the relation is between Shane and Rick but if you know small town Iowa, 99% of people with the same last name in a geographic area are related somehow.
Agree with the last name, although in the town of 2000 I’m in, there are 2 other groups of families with the same last name as my family and none of us are related. I get called by the wrong first name a lot. They seem to figure it come to bill time though.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

WSR kids train at UNI?

Taylor of Solon?
Mulder of Hull, Noonan of Cascade (is he the Wyoming commit?), the Osage kids

Noonan is the Wyoming commit. Glad we get to see him wrestle ISU and UNI the next few years. Great kid.

Would love to have the Jesuroga brothers here.

Reactions: cyputz

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Thanks, I had my son in law ask, since he is from Clarksville and he said he was not his grandson anyway. Chet looked every bit the part of a very strong heavyweight.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thanks, I had my son in law ask, since he is from Clarksville and he said he was not his grandson anyway. Chet looked every bit the part of a very strong heavyweight.
He has a little more agility than several than several heavyweights. Not just a collar tie and push type. Thinking he does some work with ETC, but my youth ties and weakening every year.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Regarding 2A 132, pretty sure the Indee kid was called for stalling on bottom earlier in the match, then penalized for the injury timeout with other kid getting to choose bottom. He let him up with seconds left and took him down to force OT.
The stalling call in OT was justified only if verbally told by the ref he would be penalized. The earlier stall call was not. He was doing as much on bottom as the Osage kid was, plus getting his oil checked. Also the other kid was wrestling from his knees, which is stalling unless you’re Anthony Robles.
Know nothing about the Independence kid, but he deserved to win.
Interestingly, last year after state there was a thread on the predicament about fake injuries and the goons came out saying that just didn’t happen. I say it does, and those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Nobody booed when the 182 was stalling against Villascusa and in the finals.

Last edited:

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Regarding 2A 132, pretty sure the Indee kid was called for stalling on bottom earlier in the match, then penalized for the injury timeout with other kid getting to choose bottom. He let him up with seconds left and took him down to force OT.
The stalling call in OT was justified only if verbally told by the ref he would be penalized. The earlier stall call was not. He was doing as much on bottom as the other kid was, but what is he supposed to do when getting his oil checked? Plus, the other kid was wrestling from his knees, which is stalling unless you’re Anthony Robles.
Know nothing about the kid, but he deserved to win.
Interestingly , last year after state there was a thread on the predicament about fake injuries and the goons came out saying that just didn’t happen. I say it does, and those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.
"Wrestling from your knees is stalling" "It can't be stalling if the clocks not ticking" - A few people are making up rules as we go. LOL

I guess Drake Ayala was stalling when he was wrestling from his knees a good portion of that match. How about when David Carr does it? SMH