ISU Coaching Poll

Who would be the best person to be ISU’s HC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Also maybe someone can refresh my memory but who was our Canadian “in”? Need to reopen that valve as well. People throw out Naz and Georges as future coaching material, but right now they are too young, and Georges has stuck.

Mel is the one I think about. He’s playing in Montenegro and he’s 30 now. No idea how his body is holding up. His transformation as a player is something that would benefit us I believe from a low asst standpoint.

Reactions: Die4Cy

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
What Fred found appealing (after year two) wasn't coaching Iowa State, evidently.

Which is seemingly very odd. Did he and JP not see eye to eye or something? I get the NBA desire, but I never really understood the dance with the Gophers - other than maybe forcing a raise, but he was going to get that anyway. And yes, I do recall that he spent time with the Timberwolves and liked the city.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
There are good players all over the country. I’m not sure why people are discussing where we think it’s so important to hit hard? Something tells me we’ll continue to land players both from the Midwest and nationally regardless of who our next coach is..the last 7 coaches to pace the sidelines have..some have been better at keeping them and coaching them than others.

Coaching and player retention are EXREMELY important

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Which is seemingly very odd. Did he and JP not see eye to eye or something? I get the NBA desire, but I never really understood the dance with the Gophers - other than maybe forcing a raise, but he was going to get that anyway. And yes, I do recall that he spent time with the Timberwolves and liked the city.

For me Fred is just that way. He’s a guy that’s looking around all the time. He was always trying to calculate how to get to the NBA as a head coach. From the moment he started working in the front office, to the time he took the ISU job. It wasn’t anything ISU did. The guy has been a ******* alpha dog his entire life, everythingat that point in his life was driving him to that goal of being considered a top coach in the game he loved (NBA basketball, not college). The guy spent 4 years in CBB. He played and worked in the pros for much much longer, that was his life.

Now, things are probably different, his goals are different, but he seriously might die if you put a cap on his goals. Whatever they are at any given time.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I really wanted TJ when Fred left but Leath screwed that up. But I have misgivings with TJ now. He's pretty much Fred/Prohm redux. Fred hasn't had any success at Nebby and TJ is floundering at UNLV. The next coach shouldn't be tied to what recruits they can keep. It should be tied to if they can develop players, make a game plan, and get the players to execute said game plan.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I really wanted TJ when Fred left but Leath screwed that up. But I have misgivings with TJ now. He's pretty much Fred/Prohm redux. Fred hasn't had any success at Nebby and TJ is floundering at UNLV. The next coach shouldn't be tied to what recruits they can keep. It should be tied to if they can develop players, make a game plan, and get the players to execute said game plan.

How is TJ “floundering” at UNLV at this point, not even two seasons in with one transition recruiting class under his belt. What do you think is going to happen to the next ISU head coach whoever that may be?

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
  • Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do people think we're going to pay UNLV ~$3.5m to buy out TJ? I just don't see it, if he was a slam dunk hire maybe. Next year when it's $1m I can see.

What are the other buyouts of potential candidates? When it gets to a certain point you just have to deal with the market that your bad hire came home to roost in.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
How is TJ “floundering” at UNLV at this point, not even two seasons in with one transition recruiting class under his belt. What do you think is going to happen to the next ISU head coach whoever that may be?

Maybe floundering is the wrong term. But right now in conference they have won 5 games. 4 of those are against teams with a combined conference record of 3-25. And that's with Jenkins, Grill and 3 starters from last year. One of my kids have a former high school classmate that plays in that league and those two teams are teams ISU could beat. They are that bad. So you take away Utah State......they haven't beat anyone this year. And that's an entire ONE good win more than Steve Prohm. ONE. So outside of being the cheap, familiar and comfortable hire.......why? Many of those names on your poll have resume's as good or better. My choice in the "other" category and if the call was made today and he would listen is Travis Ford.

Reactions: Cykobabble

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Do people think we're going to pay UNLV ~$3.5m to buy out TJ? I just don't see it, if he was a slam dunk hire maybe. Next year when it's $1m I can see.

Oh yeah....it could be done just like Creighton did with GMAC.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe floundering is the wrong term. But right now in conference they have won 5 games. 4 of those are against teams with a combined conference record of 3-25. And that's with Jenkins, Grill and 3 starters from last year. One of my kids have a former high school classmate that plays in that league and those two teams are teams ISU could beat. They are that bad. So you take away Utah State......they haven't beat anyone this year. And that's an entire ONE good win more than Steve Prohm. ONE. So outside of being the cheap, familiar and comfortable hire.......why? Many of those names on your poll have resume's as good or better. My choice in the "other" category and if the call was made today and he would listen is Travis Ford.

Disengaging!

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
The difference is that Minnesota doesn’t play Wisconsin basketball. African American kids from Minnesota want to go to Minnesota.
Not sure where you're getting this. Pitino is roundly criticized here in the Twin Cities for failing to get many top players from the area. And, he's not just lost them to Wisconsin. Of course, there's the top-shelf which have gone to Duke (Jones bros, Hurt) , Gonzaga (Suggs), Mich St (longer ago), but he's really vulnerable by all the top 30-100 kids that have gone to Marquette, Texas, Baylor, Wisconsin, Indiana,...the few players he's kept are Coffey and Okuru. I'm probably forgetting one, but that seems to be about it.

On a different front, ISU is probably better off with Prohm being fully exposed, as Pitino isn't very beloved and seems to just eke out a decent year when he's likely to get canned. No identity in the program and little real success.

As far as so many folks having strong opinions on the "right" way to go, I'll admit that I have no idea. I just want a change and hope it works. Not sure how you can draw a pattern from things like:
> ISU's most successful recent coaches came from zero experience (Fred), Utah State (LE), and New Orleans (Floyd).
> Noted recent failures have come from UNI (McD - was widely considered an excellent hire; figured it out later at Creighton) and Murray State
> Looking around the conference - Self (we're not KU), Krueger (though, had his down seasons at some stops) and Huggins (alma mater) were probably considered as sure as could be when hired; others at the top: Drew (think he'd been at Valpo... was he head there or just assisting his dad?) and Beard (UA-LL)...Underwood, now at IL, came from S. Austin...heck, Smart was the hot thing and barely survived to this year to actually finally have a good season...Dixon, had had quite the success at Pitt but had faded some... TCU still not good...Weber - did nicely w/ Self's recruits at IL and has been a so-so re-tread at KS... meh
>So, not really sure what clear pattern one can draw from all this... certainly, look for past success and not simply having taken over for obvious success --> that would seem to be one learning from the Prohm experience... but, then you look at Fred and the lack of coaching experience and the chance JP took when hiring him -- lots of "wow, seems cool, but...." at the time -- and, ultimately, JP's going to have to feel bought-in on the person/philosophy and what he's learned from his experiences in hiring other coaches (please, find the CMC-equivalent for BB!); certainly, the more proof the better, but we won't be getting "proof" from a P5 job...so, it's going to be a projection for any hire

Reactions: FatNTired