ISU Coaching Poll

Who would be the best person to be ISU’s HC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Certainly have tried to get a few each year but to no success. Some think Coffey would have come if Fred had stayed - who knows.

It's not because they're going to Minn. Actually, Marquette seems to have a nice pipeline here themselves. A few to TX or Baylor, but, o/w, Duke, Gonzaga, or other B1G schools. ISU was supposedly in on Walton, but he went to UNC. Can't argue with that (though they're not very good this year).

Thanks for clarifying. I just wasn’t sure how McKinley Wright made it so we will never be able to recruit in Minnesota.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyHawk1605

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
TJ is not my first choice. I like Craig Smith from USU. I like his midwest background and see a lot of toughness and intensity from his teams.

So what is there to like about TJ as a basketball coach? I don't think another P6 school would consider TJ after this season.

So when I see the support from ISU fans, IMO it is because many of those people have a prior relationship with TJ during his stints as an assistant under McDermott and Hoiberg.

My main misgivings about TJ are the same issue we saw with Prohm. Once Fred's recruits were gone, Steve couldn't recruit a solid roster of 8 players. TJ jumped ship at SD before the impact of his recruiting classes could be realized AND he's at the same point at UNLV. This year about half his core group are the prior coaches recruits and half are TJ's. If UNLV wins out, they are a .500 team in MW play this year.

I am not a TJ hater and he could be a great coach at ISU- coaching success is a hard thing to project. It's why Jamie makes the big bucks.

Huh? SDSU tied for their league regular season title last year and is tied for first this year as well, that is with Jenkins and Grill, who would be their two best players not in the program. Both were p6-ish players that would be in Brookings today if TJ were still there. He brought plenty of talent there. I think any critique of his coaching is fair, he def lacks experience but recruiting is something he's proven he can do, specifically he's proven he can do it at ISU. Any comparison between TJ and Steve is ignoring their careers before they got HC jobs. TJ was recruiting to the big 12/Pac 12 for a decade while Prohm was recruiting kids to Centenary and SE Louisiana.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
So, I've been thinking about this part of the equation a fair amount lately.

I would say I was in a different camp prior to that. I typically prefer watching Orr/Hoiberg type offense-focused basketball, and I think recruiting is crucial for both that style and short term success. So, I was leaning towards the TJ / rehire Hoiberg or someone in that mold that would bring in good recruits and play a free flowing, offense-focused style of ball.

However, after hearing the description of Craig Smith, I think the defensive, rebounding and toughness mindset may be more important. If you look at the teams that have had the most sustainable success in college basketball, they typically are very good at defense. While they weren't as fun to watch style-wise as the Orr/Hoiberg teams, the Floyd and Eustachy teams (at least after the system was in place) were pretty darn successful. Heck, if you look at the best Kenyucky teams, while most people focus on the scoring of folks like John Wall, they played great defense and rebounded well.

Ultimately, solid defensive and rebounding teams don't have the ups and downs year over year that offense-focused teams do because you don't have to be a + athlete to contribute to them. So, when good recruits leave earlier than anticipated or transfer, the junior who only knows how to play great defense and rebound (and take good, unforced shots) can fill a hole easier than in a system where that same player has to be able to break down a defender, create and make shots. Similarly, when a transfer comes into a culture where everyone else is working their butts off on defense and rebounding, it's easier to get them to change their mindset. Sure, you'll lose a few studs (like Tech and WV do almost every year) along the way because they don't want to be pushed that hard, but it is still sustainable once you've got the culture in place.

So, I guess I'm saying I'm now in the Craig Smith, Devries, Maligi or somebody like them group. While I'm not looking forward to it and hope that it's not necessary, I'm now willing to potentially have 2 more down years as the culture is established so that we can sustain success over time.

Should I have Gunner create another coaching poll (Offense/Recruiter versus Defense/Culture)?

I concur with the defense idea. I loved watching TF and LE teams shut down the big-name players or totally frustrate an opponent.

One thing you touch on here is the idea of "culture." That's one aspect that CSP has trouble with. Every year it's been "we don't have an identity ...yet." In the past, it usually shows up late January, February, or March. That's the wrong approach, in my eyes. We should know our identity the first day we hit the court and just get better at it over the season. You know what you're getting with WV and KU, for example.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Is it just me that is worried that TJ is a Steve Prohm clone? Great recruiter of talent but average to below average in the x's and o's?

If TJ brings in great recruits who play 4 years instead of 1 or 2, it’s still an upgrade.

Obviously the 1 or 2 year players are great, and I’m in no way saying we don’t want them. But we need a base first. We aren’t quite a blue blood who can bring in several 1 or 2 year players every year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
If TJ brings in great recruits who play 4 years instead of 1 or 2, it’s still an upgrade.

Obviously the 1 or 2 year players are great, and I’m in no way saying we don’t want them. But we need a base first. We aren’t quite a blue blood who can bring in several 1 or 2 year players every year.

I agree.

And this isn’t an excuse or justification but Prohm brought in Tyrese thinking he’d be that 4 year guy. Everyone thought he’d be a 4 year guy. Tyrese being a 4 year guy wouldn’t have saved the job. But it’s not like they signed him thinking he’d only play a year and a half.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

kccyclone3

May 16, 2015

Totally agreed, and that is a great point. I think CBB is showing that more than ever this year continuity, not top recruits is the name of the game. And maybe he hasn't been in a position long enough to look at no fault of his own, but what has TJ done to show us he is capable of that so far in his career?

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I agree.

And this isn’t an excuse or justification but Prohm brought in Tyrese thinking he’d be that 4 year guy. Everyone thought he’d be a 4 year guy. Tyrese being a 4 year guy wouldn’t have saved the job. But it’s not like they signed him thinking he’d only play a year and a half.

I think that plus the fact that that next recruiting class so far has been a big miss has really hurt. Imagine if Haliburton was here and he had two guys out of the next class that were legit Big 12 players. It is crazy to think that of the previous 3 classes starting with the Wigginton class, that there are only 2 guys currently on the team: Conditt and Jackson.
The others either went pro (Wigginton, THT, Haliburton) or transferred (Lewis, Griffin, Leach, Anderson and Grill). And a lot of the transfers that he got to try and patch things up, simply haven't been good enough.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Huh? SDSU tied for their league regular season title last year and is tied for first this year as well, that is with Jenkins and Grill, who would be their two best players not in the program. Both were p6-ish players that would be in Brookings today if TJ were still there. He brought plenty of talent there. I think any critique of his coaching is fair, he def lacks experience but recruiting is something he's proven he can do, specifically he's proven he can do it at ISU. Any comparison between TJ and Steve is ignoring their careers before they got HC jobs. TJ was recruiting to the big 12/Pac 12 for a decade while Prohm was recruiting kids to Centenary and SE Louisiana.

Fair point, but TJ didn't coach those players at SDSU the last couple years so we'll never know if TJ would have had equal or better record as the current coach.

I have no doubt TJ can recruit players, as you said he did a great job at ISU. I would just prefer that ISU hire a coach that has been at his school so we could see a 4 year cycle of a potential head coach recruiting and coaching a program.

I have said before, I would have no issue of ISU hiring TJ as Jamie Pollard knows TJ personally from his 7ish years as an assistant with the Cyclones.

As an outside observer I just like Smith's resume and the eye test of his teams play.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How is TJ “floundering” at UNLV at this point, not even two seasons in with one transition recruiting class under his belt. What do you think is going to happen to the next ISU head coach whoever that may be?
Floundering might be harsh, but he certainly isn't thriving. I'd love to pass on TJ this go-round, see how this UNLV thing plays out over a longer stretch. I want to see that he can build before he gets this job. If he's available the next time we enter the coaching carousel and he's done well, THEN offer him the job.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Floundering might be harsh, but he certainly isn't thriving. I'd love to pass on TJ this go-round, see how this UNLV thing plays out over a longer stretch. I want to see that he can build before he gets this job. If he's available the next time we enter the coaching carousel and he's done well, THEN offer him the job.

That’s not how any of this works for ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Fair point, but TJ didn't coach those players at SDSU the last couple years so we'll never know if TJ would have had equal or better record as the current coach.

I have no doubt TJ can recruit players, as you said he did a great job at ISU. I would just prefer that ISU hire a coach that has been at his school so we could see a 4 year cycle of a potential head coach recruiting and coaching a program.

I have said before, I would have no issue of ISU hiring TJ as Jamie Pollard knows TJ personally from his 7ish years as an assistant with the Cyclones.

As an outside observer I just like Smith's resume and the eye test of his teams play.

I like the way his teams play as well but his longest tenure at a job is 4 years. So he's got a similar HC history with about half of TJ's assistant experience. So I'm not sure how he checks that box for you. I feel like that makes his resume weaker than TJ.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Thanks for clarifying. I just wasn’t sure how McKinley Wright made it so we will never be able to recruit in Minnesota.
It's one of the wives tales that spread like wild fire on this site. Right up there with Katie Prohm despising her existence in Ames, IA.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Is it just me that is worried that TJ is a Steve Prohm clone? Great recruiter of talent but average to below average in the x's and o's?
I am worried. Aside from X's and O's, can he establish a culture? Can he develop three-star recruits or is he just going to recruit over them with other three-star recruits each year?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I am worried. Aside from X's and O's, can he establish a culture? Can he develop three-star recruits or is he just going to recruit over them with other three-star recruits each year?

We will find out!

• Funny
Reactions: Statefan10

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's too risky then. They need someone who has shown that they can create and build, then sustain. TJ isn't that. Smith might be.

Let’s see:

McDermott: built and sustained UNI success. Came to ISU, failure. Never even MADE THE NCAA TOURNEY.

Fred: never coached before, didn’t sustain any success because he’d never coached before. Came to ISU, changed the game, a great run at ISU with titles and sweet 16’s.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Let’s see:

McDermott: built and sustained UNI success. Came to ISU, failure. Never even MADE THE NCAA TOURNEY.

Fred: never coached before, didn’t sustain any success because he’d never coached before. Came to ISU, changed the game, a great run at ISU with titles and sweet 16’s.
It's a crapshoot regardless! TJ could come here and could suck or he could put us right back on the map. We could hire Craig Smith and he could instill an awesome culture and we start winning or he could suck and we've wasted another 4-5 years.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Let’s see:

Sure. That worked once. I'd rather bank on some concrete evidence than roll that dice again. That's just me. I want them to bring in someone tough, someone with a little hard-nosed grind-it-out mentality. McDermott wasn't even that. He was a big teddy bear.

Reactions: Lewey24

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's a crapshoot regardless! TJ could come here and could suck or he could put us right back on the map. We could hire Craig Smith and he could instill an awesome culture and we start winning or he could suck and we've wasted another 4-5 years.
Agree with this. Also, a minor detail, but the MWC is a better conference than the MVC. McDermott also grew up an Iowa fan so probably never felt comfortable in Ames. Not everyone can be Danny Mac

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron