• Fire Prohm at end of season and pay buyout

Results are only viewable after voting.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
OK, if you supposedly know, name those coaches who were interested and turned away due to high salary demands. And you can cut out your "period" BS as well.

And as mentioned before, if you want to criticize JP for going "cheap" during the last MBB search, give him credit for going that same route with the Campbell hire as well.

He’s gone cheap IN EVERY SINGLE HIRE he’s made for football and basketball. That is a fact. Or maybe a better label is that he won’t spend the money for proven head coaches and will go the up and comer route.

I don’t think people here are saying that’s a terrible strategy (it produced Hoiberg and Campbell) but he’s had his fair sure of misses with that strategy too (GMAC, Chizik, Prohm).

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Didn't want to start a new thread, but it may be interesting in this thread to note Kansas just lost their 3rd game in a row. Not sure if that's happened in the last 30-yrs, or so.

It bolsters the position that KU would be better served to self-impose a ban on post-season play this year.

KU.JPG

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
He’s gone cheap IN EVERY SINGLE HIRE he’s made for football and basketball. That is a fact.

I don’t think people here are saying that’s a terrible strategy (it produced Hoiberg and Campbell) but he’s had his fair sure of misses with that strategy too (GMAC, Chizik, Prohm).
GMac and Chiz weren't "cheap" when they were hired, especially GMac, who turned down other P6 offers like KSU and ASU for ISU. Your EVERY SINGLE HIRE claim is BS.

Prohm was on the low end but, as noted before, the pool of truly available candidates was significantly shrunk due to the timing of Fred's departure in the summer. Marshall and Dixon have been mentioned as big money names interested in the job but I don't buy either as being truly interested. Marshall pulled that crap every year to get more money from the Kochs and the SoCal native, Dixon, was never going to ISU in the Upper Midwest straight from Pitt. He got his chance at TCU, where he graduated, and tried like hell two years ago to get the UCLA job.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
GMac and Chiz weren't "cheap" when they were hired, especially GMac, who turned down other P6 offers like KSU and ASU for ISU. Your EVERY SINGLE HIRE claim is BS.

Prohm was on the low end but, as noted before, the pool of truly available candidates was significantly shrunk due to the timing of Fred's departure in the summer. Marshall and Dixon have been mentioned as big money names interested in the job but I don't buy either as being truly interested. Marshall pulled that crap every year to get more money from the Kochs and the SoCal native, Dixon, was never going to ISU in the Upper Midwest straight from Pitt. He got his chance at TCU, where he graduated, and tried like hell two years ago to get the UCLA job.

We paid Greg McDermott less than what we were paying Wayne Morgan. And much less than we were paying Larry Eustachy. Everyone thought McDermott was a good hire at the time and he had other offers, sure. But we certainly didn’t open the checkbook for him. So yes, McDermott was “cheap” for us. Chizik was paid the same as Dan McCarney which was towards the bottom of the league.

Pollard has not paid top dollar for revenue sport coaches. Why are you so stuck on this? It’s a fact.

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby and Scott34

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Pollard has not paid top dollar for revenue sport coaches. Why are you so stuck on this? It’s a fact.
Ok, now you are changing your narrative from "cheap" to "not paying top dollar". There is a difference. GMac was not a cheap hire as previously pointed out and I am not stuck on anything, merely pointing out that you and others are perpetuating a myth.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I always chuckle a bit when people use Johnny Orr as an example of Iowa State hiring an established major college coach. The times were different when it came to coach's salaries.

Also Johnny was a Midwest guy. He grew up in Illinois, went to college at Beloit and coached 9 years at Dubuque Senior in the 1950's. Plus, he was starting to feel the pressure at Michigan. He was 3 years removed from a great Final Four team and his last 2 teams were under .500 in Big 10 play.

ISU isn't going to be the landing place for guys like Beilein or Sampson who have buzz around their prospects, who will have opportunities (if they want) for more money and better geographic fits. Penn State makes a lot of sense for Beilein. Also Notre Dame or Boston College if those jobs open up. Also is Boeheim going to call it quits after this year?

I think the only way ISU gets an established P5 coach is under similar circumstances as the ISU hiring of Johnny. A coach who has had extended success, but might be going through a down couple years and feeling job security pressures. Mark Turgeon would fit this description.

The other group are hopeful Coach K successors. I would be surprised if his successor hasn't already been determined. But Chris Collins, Bobby Hurley or Steve Wojciechowski are all having lukewarm success at their current schools. They may want to new challenge to improve their odds at becoming a future HC at Duke (if that is their dream job).

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I always chuckle a bit when people use Johnny Orr as an example of Iowa State hiring an established major college coach. The times were different when it came to coach's salaries.

Also Johnny was a Midwest guy. He grew up in Illinois, went to college at Beloit and coached 9 years at Dubuque Senior in the 1950's. Plus, he was starting to feel the pressure at Michigan. He was 3 years removed from a great Final Four team and his last 2 teams were under .500 in Big 10 play.

ISU isn't going to be the landing place for guys like Beilein or Sampson who have buzz around their prospects, who will have opportunities (if they want) for more money and better geographic fits. Penn State makes a lot of sense for Beilein. Also Notre Dame or Boston College if those jobs open up. Also is Boeheim going to call it quits after this year?

I think the only way ISU gets an established P5 coach is under similar circumstances as the ISU hiring of Johnny. A coach who has had extended success, but might be going through a down couple years and feeling job security pressures. Mark Turgeon would fit this description.

The other group are hopeful Coach K successors. I would be surprised if his successor hasn't already been determined. But Chris Collins, Bobby Hurley or Steve Wojciechowski are all having lukewarm success at their current schools. They may want to new challenge to improve their odds at becoming a future HC at Duke (if that is their dream job).

Would JP have a realistic shot at landing Thad Matta?

Reactions: ATCy

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Didn't want to start a new thread, but it may be interesting in this thread to note Kansas just lost their 3rd game in a row. Not sure if that's happened in the last 30-yrs, or so.

It bolsters the position that KU would be better served to self-impose a ban on post-season play this year.

View attachment 81055

The announcers said that it had last happened in 2013.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The announcers said that it had last happened in 2013.

If it was '13, I assume it's 2012-13, 3-game losing streak would have been this (KU entered the stretch 19-1 and ranked #2):
Oklahoma State
at TCU
at Oklahoma
—> OSU had the big upset at Phog, then KU won at GIA roughly 3 weeks later.
—> loss at TCU was reeeeally bad, like sub-250 RPI bad, i-i-r-c.

• Informative
Reactions: Macloney

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
OK, if you supposedly know, name those coaches who were interested and turned away due to high salary demands. And you can cut out your "period" BS as well.

And as mentioned before, if you want to criticize JP for going "cheap" during the last MBB search, give him credit for going that same route with the Campbell hire as well.

I don’t remember the names, but didn’t we hire a firm to give us the best coaches available and Prohm was one of if not the best. And the rest of the top 5 names were also named? I think they were all mostly “cheap” options.

Campbell was also the youngest P5 coach ever at the time, so he must have been doing something right to get the job.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think we are at a point where we had basketball success and proved we can be successful, we are having record level success in football.. we could potentially aim higher this time around. You have the spend money to make money.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
well, I think we really didn't want Marshall.

Also if Dixon was so desperate he would have walked to Ames, then he should not have been so worried about the money.

Yes, Marshall wanted us but also a crazy salary if memory serves