What’s your Thanksgiving and Christmas going to look like?

What’s your 2020 thanksgiving and Christmas going to look like?

• Small group of family.

• All of family. Like any normal year.

• I will not be celebrating with any family this year.

• Large group of family/all of family but will require masks inside home with other safety protocols.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Whatever we want... California has gone MAD. Don't be fooled no one owns any property there.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
One of my daughters-in-law has been posting multiple copy/pastes on FB about "not living in fear". We're not living in fear - we're simply taking appropriate precautions based on our age & health. They live on the east coast, and are planning on being back here for Christmas. Most likely, they will stay with her parents. That's the norm, because there are usually several sets of kids/grandkids staying in our house and they are the only ones with a local option. Her mother is a nurse/midwife, so we'll see how much caution happens there. Hopefully mom is cautious, but I'm not holding my breath.
We've already explained to them that we will not be having our annual gathering here on NYE. We have not allowed anyone inside our home except a repairman, and a neighbor girl who took care of the cats while we were camping for a few days. It's going to be interesting. I'm hoping there will be days warm enough to visit with them at a park or do some geocaching or something. or else snow on the ground to go sledding with them. That way we can visit with them without close contact. We would love to see our grandkids, but that entire family of six has NOT been practicing any safety measures at all.

The “living in fear” guilt thing is on a roll. Cannot imagine what it might do to a child to ever find out they killed gramps so they could eat turkey together and pass out watching football.

My out of state boys are cooking with friends already in their circle of exposure. We are going to zoom watching football together, then the boys can all complain about the refs together.

I gave birth to one of them the night before Thanksgiving so I have experienced the scaled down Thanksgiving before with hospital food and a sitz bath.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
The “living in fear” guilt thing is on a roll. Cannot imagine what it might do to a child to ever find out they killed gramps so they could eat turkey together and pass out watching football.

My out of state boys are cooking with friends already in their circle of exposure. We are going to zoom watching football together, then the boys can all complain about the refs together.

I gave birth to one of them the night before Thanksgiving so I have experienced the scaled down Thanksgiving before with hospital food and a sitz bath.

Any adult who would put that idea into the child's head is the problem. No one could ever prove that the child even infected poor gramps. I can't imagine doing that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Normal. I'm not going to be one of those Karens who live in fear.

The timing here.

Amazing.

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
My wife and I are picking up our son at the San Antonio airport on Thanksgiving day, spending the night on the Riverwalk and then going to the Cyclone vs Longhorn game the following day. A neighbor of ours gave us some great tickets too!

Reactions: wxman1 and NWICY

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Being so far from family I used to plan around Thanksgiving. At first I would fly to Virginia, spend a few days with Mom and Dad. Then we would drive up to Connecticut to have Thanksgiving dinner with 2 other sisters and brother and I would fly back from Hartford.
As Mom and Dad aged I would just go to Virginia and spend it with them. Now that they have both passed I guess I'll just hang out at home.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Thanksgiving - just my wife and daughter

Christmas - Right now, my entire family is planning on getting together at my sister's here in KC. That's 8 kids with their spouses and some kids (most are grown and won't be there), mostly from different states (MN, IA, CA, AR, MO, KS). I know everyone is being extremely careful and I trust them more than anyone else, but I still think it's stupid idea. I'm pushing for everyone get tested prior to coming.

This past weekend, the fam decided to forego getting everyone together for Christmas. I'm happy that everyone will be safe, but it's hard to get to excited about what's being sacrificed. We have a great time together.

Last edited:

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Just my immediate family will get together for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. It will be about 15 people max when you include spouses and kids. Thanksgiving will likely be less than that. No gatherings of extended family this year which I'm okay with. It will be interesting if there is another lockdown on how that will affect holiday plans.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Driving 15 hours to Iowa and back each way (with the new dog in the backseat) for Thanksgiving.

Driving 13.5 hours to Florida and back each way (with the dog again) for Christmas.

My wife really wants everybody to meet him. ><

• Friendly
Reactions: CloneLawman

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Driving 15 hours to Iowa and back each way (with the new dog in the backseat) for Thanksgiving.

Driving 13.5 hours to Florida and back each way (with the dog again) for Christmas.

God speed my friend. 3.5 hours one way with our 2 is enough, couldnt imagine 3-4X that many.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We’re skipping a large Thanksgiving gathering this year. We’re going to have a bonfire/cookout out in the timber at Grandma’s house for Christmas. Our thanksgiving/Christmas is usually around 15-20 people.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
God speed my friend. 3.5 hours one way with our 2 is enough, couldnt imagine 3-4X that many.

With our current two it would be hell. Our first one was an absolute champ when we would drive between Wichita and Cedar Rapids. Most complaining he ever did was when we put this cover on the backseat to keep him from shedding all over it. So that was quickly removed and he went right to sleep. Hell he didn't even whine when we spun out on I-70.

PineClone

Jul 16, 2008
Our tradition is to host a turkey frying brunch on the sunday before thanksgiving. I get two fryers going early in the morning and cook a "taster" turkey for the brunch, and then our own thanksgiving turkey. People start showing up around 8am for screwdrivers and bloody marys. Last year we cooked 17 turkeys. Its basically a tailgate atmosphere with a fire pit and Hammerschlaggen. BTW, I have a great injection/brine recipe. PM me if you want it.

Due to COVID, we won't be frying any turkeys and will make chicken fried steak and gravy.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Maybe let the wife go without you. Sounds like she is more interested in the dog anyway. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Good luck and safe travels for both of those trips.

Husbands are like FedEx drivers for the holidays. Everyone's excited when we roll into the driveway, but they're mostly excited to see what we brought.

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Maybe let the wife go without you. Sounds like she is more interested in the dog anyway. ;)

She definitely likes Mr. "the whole house is my chew toy" more than me.

She needs me to drive, though. We're approaching it like endurance racing, except for one driver does 80% of it.

Good luck and safe travels for both of those trips.

Husbands are like FedEx drivers for the holidays. Everyone's excited when we roll into the driveway, but they're mostly excited to see what we brought.

Well, here is her "gift" to our mutual families...

1604421211783.png

The one to the right is not ours. We were puppysitting.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Someone near my hometown just died after getting it from his granddaughters.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron