Wide Receivers and Their Disappearing Act

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I said this after our first game, our passing game is ****. It does not put Purdy in favorable situations and asks him to almost be perfect. He’s not that type of QB. Our route trees are slow and take much too long to develop, not a strong suit for this Oline. Purdy needs more short, easy throws.
WHY can't receivers get open? WHEN they do. they fall down or drop the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: CyBobby

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think Purdy has trust issues with his young receivers. The lack of targets speaks volumes.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The lack of them being open speaks volumes.
Ya I can't agree with this completely. He tends to stare his intended targets down and that is Kolar and Hutchinson most of the time. Unless he's being told to throw to them no matter what but I doubt this. The o line didn't help matters today.

• Informative
Reactions: CyBobby

Cycl0nepower

Apr 4, 2020
Ohio
Ya I can't agree with this completely. He tends to stare his intended targets down and that is Kolar and Hutchinson most of the time. Unless he's being told to throw to them no matter what but I doubt this. The o line didn't help matters today.
True, but have you seen the other receivers wide open and purdy hasn’t got them the ball?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
True, but have you seen the other receivers wide open and purdy hasn’t got them the ball?

Seems like a combination of a few things:

1. Priority of tight ends and Xavier H as targets.
2. Inability of other WR's to get open.
3. Purdy not able to sit in the pocket and wait.
4. Purdy's preference to run.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Luckily not every team will have OSU's personnel.

I think their speed and timing are being undersold.
I think we need to give OSU some credit. I was very impressed with their defense. Sound tackling, good and physical in coverage. I don’t think they are good enough to go 3-0 vs OU, KSU and UT, but they are good. Sanders was a little rusty but the guy makes plays, and really made good throws all day, despite the 2 ints.

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
Everyone wants to rail on Manning and he needs some of the blame but if he wasn’t doing what the HC lays out in the game plan then he wouldn’t be here right now.

Campbell plays the Kirk Ferentz game on the road. Take few if any chances on offense, lean on the D all day, and hope to pull it out in the margins. FGs and penalties are basically the margins in every close game. Don’t change a damn thing based on injuries or personnel issues.

Winning in the margins is a good sound bite. At ISU we'll very rarely have the talent advantage. As you said we need to win in the margins in special teams and penalties. I would also add, being aggressive/making analytical calls on going for it on 4th down. Unfortunately while we have a lower amount of penalties than other teams in general, they always seem to happen at critical times or in the RZ. Also the biggest margin category is special teams (a great way for an under talented team to even the scales) we literally do not put our money where our mouth is and hire a special teams coach. It has cost us multiple games in the last two years. I'm tired of hearing the winning in the margins BS when we don't actually attempt it.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Seems like a combination of a few things:

1. Priority of tight ends and Xavier H as targets.
2. Inability of other WR's to get open.
3. Purdy not able to sit in the pocket and wait.
4. Purdy's preference to run.

tend to agree with you. I think the big thing for this game was the pressure OSU was getting. I can’t remember I time when they brought less than 5 even though theywent with three down linemen. They made Purdy uncomfortable back there and the best he could do is target the quick progression routes instead of the deeper balls. That to me means more short tight end routes and quick slants. I think we took what they gave us.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I think we need to give OSU some credit. I was very impressed with their defense. Sound tackling, good and physical in coverage. I don’t think they are good enough to go 3-0 vs OU, KSU and UT, but they are good. Sanders was a little rusty but the guy makes plays, and really made good throws all day, despite the 2 ints.

i was impressed with their D. The got pressure all day (granted they brought the house a lot), still were able to cover our WRs and TEs

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron