Wide Receivers and Their Disappearing Act

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
Seems like Purdy only has his select couple he likes to throw to (for example; throwing into double coverage many times to Kolar and Hutch) If this is the case that needs to change and start getting the ball to the others.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'd like to see more of Scates given the recruiting hype he had. He's someone that can help stretch the field.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I thought Scates was really going to step up big this year and he is just a huge letdown. His route running is brutal.

What’s more concerning IMO is Sean Shaw is just nonexistent. The dude is 6’6 there’s no way that he can’t catch the ball when he has the opportunity. Does he even have a catch this year?

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I said this after our first game, our passing game is ****. It does not put Purdy in favorable situations and asks him to almost be perfect. He’s not that type of QB. Our route trees are slow and take much too long to develop, not a strong suit for this Oline. Purdy needs more short, easy throws.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hard to catch balls when you don’t targeted. We went deep one time all game (Purdy pick)

And hard to go deep much if the QB can't even see where he's throwing, if he has time to throw at all.

Even the underneath stuff wasn't that open.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Our coaching staff keeps calling slow developing plays that we simply don't have the protection for. The result was ample and consistent pressure and an inability for Purdy to establish a rhythm.

Campbell and his staff seemingly refuse to adjust the game plan when it isn't working. We have 6' 7" tight ends and don't run near enough quick throws over the middle to utilize that leverage. On the defensive side of the ball they continue to rush 3 lineman despite yielding 5+ seconds to throw the ball and/or having QBs reel off 10-20 yard scrambles. That crap DOESN"T WORK, at least not against quality opponents.

I give Gundy a lot of credit for having a game plan that worked. It was obvious they emphasized pressure and more often than not it caused problems. They utilized our refusal to rush 4+ and killed the zone soft spots or hurt us with scrambles. Campbell made it even easier by not making adjustments.

There's a reason we lost a lot of close games last year and it wasn't due to luck. At some point Campbell has to get better at identifying problems and making proper short and long-term adjustments.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
They just overran an undermanned OL all day. Stuck with it all game and that’s all they had to do.

O-line is undermanned but Campbell has to identify it and help his QB out. Those plays took WAY to long to materialize; he was routinely hit or scrambling before the receivers were out of their routes. More chip blocks, quicker throws...you have to adjust. He didn't even try and I found that frustrating.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I blame Manning for the poor gameplan. It’s as if he didn’t learn anything against OSU last year.

Maybe we get another shot at them in Texas, but today was classic ISU football when presented with a great opportunity.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and Jnecker4cy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I blame Manning for the poor gameplan. It’s as if he didn’t learn anything against OSU last year.

Maybe we get another shot at them in Texas, but today was classic ISU football when presented with a great opportunity.

Everyone wants to rail on Manning and he needs some of the blame but if he wasn’t doing what the HC lays out in the game plan then he wouldn’t be here right now.

Campbell plays the Kirk Ferentz game on the road. Take few if any chances on offense, lean on the D all day, and hope to pull it out in the margins. FGs and penalties are basically the margins in every close game. Don’t change a damn thing based on injuries or personnel issues.

Reactions: Neptune78

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Problem is our WRs are not quick in and out of breaks, and other than XH aren’t physical. Lazard and Pettway were really physical to beat man, and Butler had the threat to go deep.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Having Milton out changes the routes so much. He’s the guy that can make teams pay in that medium range for selling out to stop the TEs. That stuff makes a huge difference in play calling and for Purdy because he’s really good at throwing in that 20-30 yard range.