On That Note: In the Year '95 (at 25)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Teenage Fanclub
“Grand Prix”
May 29, 1995

Spin magazine rated TFC's “Bandwagonesque” #1 album of ’91 (above R.E.M.'s "Out of Time" and Nirvana's "Nevermind,"), but by ’95, the band had lost some traction with critics. Spin’s reviewer gave “Grand Prix” only 4 of 10 rating. Not that the group cared by that point — it was going to follow its muse. This LP isn’t wall-to-wall stunning, but it has enough nuggets, it’s worthy of mention.

Reactions: Cydar

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
1995 was the debut of the country group Lonestar with their self titled debut album. Several good singles on that album

"No News" was a #1 on the country billboard. Look closely in the video and you may recognize a guy playing bass named John Rich who eventually left/was kicked out of the band and later became half of the duo Big & Rich while also writing several big hits for other artists over the years

"Tequila Talkin'" hit #8 on the charts

"Heartbroke Every Day" where John was the lead singer peaked at #18 on the charts. John sang lead on a few of Lonestar's songs before leaving the band.

"I Love the Way You Do That" another song with John on the lead and also co-wrote. Not one of their biggest hits but one of my favorites from this album

"Runnin' Away With My Heart" reached #8 on the charts

Not part of this album but a neat performance thus summer where John and Lonestar were part of a 4th of July special and he got to sing lead on the big #1 hit he wrote for them "Come Cryin' to Me" since Richie had to miss it due being in quarantine

https://youtu.be/o0TDlaMMXKs?t=2345

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
Deftones debut album "Adrenaline" released in 1995.
Adrenaline_Deftones.jpg

Reactions: Cydar

Humanjukebox

Oct 16, 2017
I had not listened to full album before. Sampling now. Some good stuff (opener rocks). Probably one of those bands that gets unfairly dismissed with one-hit wonder tag (there are countless examples of that through the years).

Pretty much what you said, a one-hit wonder. I played in a band back then, and we covered "Counting Blue Cars", their big hit, but we also covered "Charlie Brown's Parents", which used to get more response than their hit. Still one of my favorite songs of the era.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Collective Soul
(first of band’s 2 self-titled LPs)
Released: March 14, 1995

Looks like no one has nabbed it yet, so I will.

This album featured two Hot 100 top 20 songs ("The World I Know" and "December). Even without including either in my roundup, it’s still chock-full of Collective-Soulism. I took it for granted at the time.

Damned-good opening track

(3rd single from the album)

'

Reactions: Humanjukebox

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron