On That Note: In the Year '95 (at 25)

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Welcome back to “On That Note,” CF’s weekly music exploration, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and cyclones500.

For this segment, we're asking for your favorite albums released in 1995, to mark the 25th anniversary. Along with each choice, post up to 5 tracks from the album that you think demonstrate its excellence. Optional: Elaborate why you find the LP outstanding, as a whole.

For those who aren’t as album-oriented, you may cite favorite tracks released in '95.

You are allowed to select an album someone already has chosen, as long as you post different song samples from it.

My #1 follows in the next post.
  • In case you missed it, last week’s OTN: H Two Oh!

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Guided By Voices
“Alien Lanes”
Released: April 4, 1995

This album hit me in a major way at the time. In the lo-fi genre, it’s “of its time,” but also managed to age well. Even throwaways that might drag it down are brief, often sandwiched between garage-pop gems. I like how a majority of the tracks bleed into each other.

I must include the opening track
“Disarm the settlers!”

Arguably my favorite Guided By Voices song. Who’s arguing the argumentation with me? Me!

Auditorium/Motor Away --- these ALWAYS must be played back-to-back

That's only a sampler.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Guided By Voices
“Alien Lanes”
Released: April 4, 1995

This album hit me in a major way at the time. In the lo-fi genre, it’s “of its time,” but also managed to age well. Even throwaways that might drag it down are brief, often sandwiched between garage-pop gems. I like how a majority of the tracks bleed into each other.

I must include the opening track
“Disarm the settlers!”

Arguably my favorite Guided By Voices song. Who’s arguing the argumentation with me? Me!

Auditorium/Motor Away --- these ALWAYS must be played back-to-back

That's only a sampler.

As a player of NCAA football Teenage FBI will always get my vote.

• Winner
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
For the remainder of my choices, I won’t attempt to rank. I'll go with this as my 2nd.

The Flaming Lips
“Clouds Taste Metallic”
Sept. 19, 1995

I was blown away by the predecessor to this (“Transmissions from the Satellite Heart”), so for a while, I had some shoulder-shrugging after I heard this. But over time, I realized this is probably better collectively.

Starting with the LP's final track ... Released as a single, but didn’t chart. How was this not a hit?

2nd cut from the LP Love the drumming on this (and other Lips songs from this period) - Steven Drozd is underrated.

A common story is “I sent you a letter (email, or such) but it must not have arrived.” This is the opposite. Protagonist is aware correspondence was sent his way, but it was destroyed by weather before he could view it.

Reactions: 20eyes and Cydar

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Welcome back to “On That Note,” CF’s weekly music exploration, hosted by @MeanDean, @CycloneRulzzz and cyclones500.

For this segment, we're asking for your favorite albums released in 1995, to mark the 25th anniversary. Along with each choice, post up to 5 tracks from the album that you think demonstrate its excellence. Optional: Elaborate why you find the LP outstanding, as a whole.

For those who aren’t as album-oriented, you may cite favorite tracks released in '95.

You are allowed to select an album someone already has chosen, as long as you post different song samples from it.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007