cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Money on the sidelines? Why would anyone have money on the sidelines at this point? Seems too late to buy already.

Most people aren't savy investors. When $h** hits the fan. They start hoarding cash. US savings rate was over 3x higher than normal and remains about 2x higher than "normal"

1598294239323.png

Plus most households got stimulus money with more likely coming.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
a massive short was just put on the broader markets
one only really big money could put
either that or the market makers repriced all options to take into account greater adversity, but seems like that would have been prompted by put call action

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006

10 year up 20 basis points this month

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Love the Apple four way happening Monday.
I thought I owned a lot of that stock before. :-D

• Agree
Reactions: bos

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did a little short term trading to get rid of a dog stock that I didn't like. I liked the ones that I used, may want to get into them late also. Only one more dog that I need to dump.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We will see where it ends up. This is a tough pick. I kind of have a feeling it’ll come back up here shortly.

I took a shot when it got down to about $330.

And I've never really been an individual stock buyer, and I've typically thought Tesla as a company was overhyped. Yet here I am.

Now the question is to take profits now or let it ride.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

And I've never really been an individual stock buyer, and I've typically thought Tesla as a company was overhyped. Yet here I am.

Probably depends on how long you want to ride it. If you’re thinking a year or so out + you could double it more. Looking for a quick buck? Then take it now and use your winnings to invest in something a bit less volatile. I think that company has more upside with tricks ahead but it isn’t going to let you sleep well in the near term.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Probably depends on how long you want to ride it. If you’re thinking a year or so out + you could double it more. Looking for a quick buck? Then take it now and use your winnings to invest in something a bit less volatile. I think that company has more upside with tricks ahead but it isn’t going to let you sleep well in the near term.
It's a small part of my portfolio so I think I'll just ride it out.

Reactions: bos

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

I wouldn't touch TSLA with a ten foot pole. I don't care if it goes to $1000. They've never made a dime in their core business of selling cars. Not one. Most people don't even understand how they make money in the first place.

They make money trading regulatory carbon credits with other auto manufacturers. The funny thing about the auto business is that it's incredibly capital intensive, and competitive advantages gained are usually short lived. Just wait until automakers start closing the gap and begin putting competitive pressures on Tesla or even worse, get into a position where they no longer need to buy their way out of a climate tax with those credits. Or if congress ends the slush fund and eliminates them. Those paper gains will quickly evaporate.

Doesn't mean it can't be traded, but there isn't enough upside to justify the risk of investing in it. The key to making money is to not lose it, and owning TSLA is playing with fire.

As a trading strategy when I can't decide whether to hold or sell, I sell half. If it goes up, you still participate in the upside. If it goes down, you've locked in profits on half your investment. Good luck.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I wouldn't touch TSLA with a ten foot pole. I don't care if it goes to $1000. They've never made a dime in their core business of selling cars. Not one. Most people don't even understand how they make money in the first place.

They make money trading regulatory carbon credits with other auto manufacturers. The funny thing about the auto business is that it's incredibly capital intensive, and competitive advantages gained are usually short lived. Just wait until automakers start closing the gap and begin putting competitive pressures on Tesla or even worse, get into a position where they no longer need to buy their way out of a climate tax with those credits. Or if congress ends the slush fund and eliminates them. Those paper gains will quickly evaporate.

Doesn't mean it can't be traded, but there isn't enough upside to justify the risk of investing in it. The key to making money is to not lose it, and owning TSLA is playing with fire.

As a trading strategy when I can't decide whether to hold or sell, I sell half. If it goes up, you still participate in the upside. If it goes down, you've locked in profits on half your investment. Good luck.

I do it similarly. I put in a sell orders at gains of 10%. Then the rest at 20%, 30%, 40%.......... or so. I started out with ZM in March and I am down to 9 shares owned. Did I miss out on some profits yes. Did I lock in gains yes. OKTA over the last year or so has my share balance down on that stock as well as well. But it keeps cash in my pocket in teetering bull markets. I look for unreasonable drops in stock prices of 30 to 40 percent or more. As Caseys stock did this spring. Then sell as it creeps back up. I am at 25% cash now. I think the market is way overbought.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Reactions: usedcarguy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron