Sonya Heitshusen was forced out at Ch 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Well this explains a lot about her sudden departure at WHOTV: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...nder-bias-her-involuntary-tv-exit/3341329001/

From the sound of the article it would appear she may be gearing up for an age and gender discrimination lawsuit. Sad to see this still apparently an issue in the broadcasting profession even with all that has gone on in the recent years about equality. Have been impressed over the years when she made some big changes to her lifestyle after her embarrassing drunk driving incident which would have been more of a reason to let her go back then than now for apparently looking too old to be on TV. Crazy how some good women in the local media have been forced out of their roles over the years likely based on gender and age and not their on-air job performance. Heidi Soliday was a big one being the 1st female sport director and her being forced out was crap because she was good at her job and that was probably another age and gender discrimination going on back then too.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Well this explains a lot about her sudden departure at WHOTV: https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...nder-bias-her-involuntary-tv-exit/3341329001/

From the sound of the article it would appear she may be gearing up for an age and gender discrimination lawsuit. Sad to see this still apparently an issue in the broadcasting profession even with all that has gone on in the recent years about equality. Have been impressed over the years when she made some big changes to her lifestyle after her embarrassing drunk driving incident which would have been more of a reason to let her go back then than now for apparently looking too old to be on TV. Crazy how some good women in the local media have been forced out of their roles over the years likely based on gender and age and not their on-air job performance. Heidi Soliday was a big one being the 1st female sport director and her being forced out was crap because she was good at her job and that was probably another age and gender discrimination going on back then too.

What happened with Heidi Soliday? I remember her, but I was too young to realize what happened when she left?

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes

Thank you for your concern Mr. Heitshusen

volclone

Apr 11, 2006

Not trying to justify age/gender bias--in fact I have been a victim of it--but everyone that gets into the television news business understands its a "beauty contest." I had that drummed into me by my Broadcast News Professor in Journalism School years ago. It doesn't make it right or fair, but its the business. Since she was a contract employee, any age/gender discrimination case would be a very heavy lift--unless they found an absolute "smoking gun"--like an email or memo discussing age, appearance, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My wife brought this up to me, and honestly my first thought was that she still looks great. I can't imagine a single person changing the channel because of how she looks. It's just weird.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Obviously if there was discrimination, I hope that comes to light, but the fact that she was a contract employee has to make fighting her departure an uphill climb, doesn't it? It's not the same as being terminated. Both sides fulfilled their portion of the contract and there was not a renewal. Legally, I would think that's pretty cut and dried. Doesn't mean I agree with it, but I'm sure this is the exact reason why television stations have onair talent sign contracts instead of a traditional employee relationship.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not trying to justify age/gender bias--in fact I have been a victim of it--but everyone that gets into the television news business understands its a "beauty contest." I had that drummed into me by my Broadcast News Professor in Journalism School years ago. It doesn't make it right or fair, but its the business. Since she was a contract employee, any age/gender discrimination case would be a very heavy lift--unless they found an absolute "smoking gun"--like an email or memo discussing age, appearance, etc.

Just because it may have been that way doesn't mean it always has to be that way or that it should be that way. Lots of industries have had built-in sexism that have had to adjust over time. The news business seems to have been behind the times about this, and they deserve to be shamed for this decision

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I’ll just steer clear of this one. Have a nice day.
Love how people rush to judgement when they only hear one side of a possible story. And before someone says “well...where is the other side of the story?? Why are they refusing to comment?” It’s possible one’s refusal to comment is to protect the other party as much as anything else.
Well that lasted all of half an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron