If ISU Has to cut sports, which sports are on the block?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think something that will have to be considered is full alcohol sales at Hilton and Jack.

Has UNI released how many more $$ they made last year by having alcohol sales?

I went to one of their games last year and a LOT of people were drinking beer. I only had one because it was $8 for a tall boy. But quite a few people were drinking several.

Just curious what their added revenue was?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Has UNI released how many more $$ they made last year by having alcohol sales?

I went to one of their games last year and a LOT of people were drinking beer. I only had one because it was $8 for a tall boy. But quite a few people were drinking several.

Just curious what their added revenue was?
That I’m not sure of.

I’ve been to stadiums that have it, West Virginia does, and there didn’t appear to be any serious issues.

We are at a financial point where it needs to be strongly considered.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
That I’m not sure of.

I’ve been to stadiums that have it, West Virginia does, and there didn’t appear to be any serious issues.

I don't disagree it should be sold, but if alcohol sales are the saving grace we are in a world of hurt.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't disagree it should be sold, but if alcohol sales are the saving grace we are in a world of hurt.
We are approaching a world of hurt IMO.
I’m fully anticipating paying for my b-ball tickets and probably not going with little ones.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
That I’m not sure of.

I didn't witness any issues at the UNI game I attended. I think if you price it high enough, people can't afford to get very drunk.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm one of those that really doesn't want open cups of beer all over the stadium - you end up wearing more than they drink. However, I concede that may be one of the only ways to replace lost revenue...and it's a sad day when (if) that becomes true.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm one of those that really doesn't want open cups of beer all over the stadium - you end up wearing more than they drink. However, I concede that may be one of the only ways to replace lost revenue...and it's a sad day when (if) that becomes true.
I had a perception similar to that going into Morgantown but it wasn’t too big of an issue. I probably stereotyped their fan base too much honestly, and I can admit that.
I see much more “over consumption” in KC by multiple fan bases during the tourney.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

At UNI they sold cans..... tall boys only I believe. It was really done well. About every quarter people with trash bags would walk down all the aisles and collect any cans or trash as well. I bet they didn't have much to clean up at the end of games then either.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
At UNI they sold cans..... tall boys only I believe. It was really done well. About every quarter people with trash bags would walk down all the aisles and collect any cans or trash as well. I bet they didn't have much to clean up at the end of games then either.
Cans were banned because they could be thrown and cause injury. I would mind cans far less than I would mind open plastic cups because there is far less spillage. Now we just need to be sure people could be convinced to not throw them. :)

Reactions: Pizzapitter

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Cans were banned because they could be thrown and cause injury. I would mind cans far less than I would mind open plastic cups because there is far less spillage. Now we just need to be sure people could be convinced to not throw them. :)

Cans were banned where? They had them at UNI last year.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Section 239 at Hilton has the best fans in the world, thank God.

Reactions: harimad

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've always been dead against selling alcohol at the college level, but desperate times might call for desperate measures.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
While true that they can have some reserves, my understanding is the tax laws make having very much complicated.

I don't see anything that suggests OSU AD has a $200 million reserve. This article says in 2019, OSU had a $8.9 million reserve with $210.3M in revenues and $210.9M in expenses.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...million-but-department-lost-money/4760028002/
That was a one year deficit. There are several schools there with excesses well above $10 million for 2019. A guy I do camps with put together a spreadsheet going back 15-20 years. Ohio State has cumulative excesses in the hundreds of millions. Alabama, Texas, Texas AM, Georgia and many others as well. Most of the SEC and B10 had huge excesses.

Cloneman89

Sep 28, 2014
I think everything but FB, MBB, WBB and VB. Realize their are number differences to equalize but only ones fans enjoy. Rasslin’ is already doomed and others have marginal interest. I love track and field but it has no revenue generation upside. Maybe defy the NCAA and allow advertising on the jerseys and shoes/shorts? It will get uglier

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
I didn't witness any issues at the UNI game I attended. I think if you price it high enough, people can't afford to get very drunk.
UNI is going to need all the beer money they can get. Per the USAToday website, UNI was $1.34M in the hole last year, and they already tag the students for $1.92M is fees. Losing out on the hoop revenue and potentially football would be catastrophic.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I had a perception similar to that going into Morgantown but it wasn’t too big of an issue. I probably stereotyped their fan base too much honestly, and I can admit that.
I see much more “over consumption” in KC by multiple fan bases during the tourney.

We were in Morgantown last year also, I would go back in a minute. Some of the best tailgating fans in the world to the visiting team. Every place we walked through the parking lots people were offering us shine and food. We tailgated to the west of the stadium and everyone was great to be around, people would come over, and shoot the crap, talk about their history, just overall great people to be around.
UT sells beer in cans, they had carts all over the stadium two years ago, no beer at Baylor or TCU, but both are church schools.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I was speaking from experience. Open beer cups were common in the stadium where I went to school (not ISU). In the student section, we would leave the games covered in beer & vomit. Not cool...

Reactions: JP4CY

Help Support Us

Become a patron