NO FANS AT CYCLONE GAMES?

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Well a lot of colleges already have and they quarantine. They haven't shut everything down because one athlete tested positive.

Blum makes a great point on the recent podcast with CW. Generalizing some here, but he said what happens when 10,000 students show up in Ames in a month and 8% test positive, 800 students, what do you do, how do you mitigate, manage or can you even control that? What does that do to the city of Ames, story county? Who is enforcing self isolation if that magnitude? All for masks, not sure that is going to get it done.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Blum makes a great point on the recent podcast with CW. Generalizing some here, but he said what happens when 10,000 students show up in Ames in a month and 8% test positive, 800 students, what do you do, how do you mitigate, manage or can you even control that? What does that do to the city of Ames, story county? Who is enforcing self isolation if that magnitude? All for masks, not sure that is going to get it done.

It's like adding another small city for sure. The downside of a college town. Of the 800 how many projected in need of hospitals? It really is not that age that is worrisome it would be any elderly / at risk person that were then near.

Also we all should remember, even though preliminary stuff looks positive, there is no guarantee as to a vaccine or even when. How long are we willing to do this? Will we force all people to get vaccinated? What if only 50% get the vaccine?

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
It's like adding another small city for sure. The downside of a college town. Of the 800 how many projected in need of hospitals? It really is not that age that is worrisome it would be any elderly / at risk person that were then near.

Also we all should remember, even though preliminary stuff looks positive, there is no guarantee as to a vaccine or even when. How long are we willing to do this? Will we force all people to get vaccinated? What if only 50% get the vaccine?

Bingo! Your questions are just and right. Unfortunately many in society are unwilling to address, debate these key questions or willing to live in the gray. Vaccines and to a far lesser degree masks are answers we are being told today.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

It's interesting because colleges could actually think about a strict quarantine. If there's a dorm set up as the Covid dorm that anybody that tests positive could move to for 2-3 weeks with food service and access to online courses, those students don't need to go to a grocery store, aren't essential workers, and aren't caretakers for others.

Those are the things that aren't possible for essential workers and family caretakers.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I don't see any possible way we are at games in less than 60 days, especially because we are so against masks in this country.

Reactions: Macloney

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
It's interesting because colleges could actually think about a strict quarantine. If there's a dorm set up as the Covid dorm that anybody that tests positive could move to for 2-3 weeks with food service and access to online courses, those students don't need to go to a grocery store, aren't essential workers, and aren't caretakers for others.

Those are the things that aren't possible for essential workers and family caretakers.

That is a good idea. Short of being in the hospital. If that happened to get full, what then though. What I would worry about is people hiding the fact they are sick and not getting tested because of the implications of testing positive.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
The President of Purdue was on CNBC this morning. Said every single student will have to be tested before being allowed on campus and then I believe he stated everyone must be tested once per week. This was for all students.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
I don't see any possible way we are at games in less than 60 days, especially because we are so against masks in this country.

I just don't think that if public schools go back that masks will matter much then. It will spread in the schools and come home with the kids even if they wear masks. It just will. They are kids. They touch their faces, grab each other, don't wash after using restrooms, never clean their phones, grab door handles, etc.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

It’s a great thought. The thing I think many forget is that 800 students would find out they’re infected after they’ve likely already spread it. When most live in apartments and dorms, the spread will likely be in every corner of the building by the time infections become real evident. It’s almost impossible to isolate college students in shared living environments.

And this all assumes mass testing can get to that level in 60 days. Even MLB tried to start up some practices on Monday and had to delay due to testing delays. If 2,000 pro players struggle to get quick testing results right now, wait until millions of college kids, teachers, etc need to be tested multiple times.

This is exactly why many experts were saying the summer should be spent ramping up to be able to test 5-10 million per day and so far we’ve only done 40 million tests over 5 months. It isn’t even really about the tests being available, it’s about the infrastructure of getting independent labs onboard, opening up temporary labs, etc. That is still very far behind and likely won’t be magically improved in 60 days.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This is exactly why many experts were saying the summer should be spent ramping up to be able to test 5-10 million per day and so far we’ve only done 40 million tests over 5 months. It isn’t even really about the tests being available, it’s about the infrastructure of getting independent labs onboard, opening up temporary labs, etc. That is still very far behind and likely won’t be magically improved in 60 days.

Makes you wonder about the production and distribution of a vaccine if/when one is developed, doesn't it?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s a great thought. The thing I think many forget is that 800 students would find out they’re infected after they’ve likely already spread it. When most live in apartments and dorms, the spread will likely be in every corner of the building by the time infections become real evident. It’s almost impossible to isolate college students in shared living environments.

And this all assumes mass testing can get to that level in 60 days. Even MLB tried to start up some practices on Monday and had to delay due to testing delays. If 2,000 pro players struggle to get quick testing results right now, wait until millions of college kids, teachers, etc need to be tested multiple times.

I thought the virus was going to magically disappear so my faith in magic is now forever tainted.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
The President of Purdue was on CNBC this morning. Said every single student will have to be tested before being allowed on campus and then I believe he stated everyone must be tested once per week. This was for all students.

Yep and what happens when x % are positive at the start or every week? What are Purdue students and parents prepared to live with?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
If a vaccine can’t be developed and proven effective, we’re toast. See the majority of the comments on these boards, got to have it. Doesn’t matter what data is shared to the contrary. So the idea of ISU football or basketball, with fans, is laughable.

We've survived much worse viruses and pandemics. We'll be fine, as a group anyway.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

I love how these magical pieces of cloth can now solve everything. Ironically my belief of magic is also taking a real hit.

Reactions: awd4cy

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Assisted our son in moving to Chicago this past week-end. 100% mask wear in all businesses. At least 50% mask wear outside even just walking around. Stopped for fuel at the World's Largest Truck Stop exit...Walcott...maybe 1 in 20 were wearing masks...inside. No better in Des Moines at the 2nd St Quik Trip...can't expect football to happen if we can't even wear a fricking mask.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron