Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Taking off Iowa State blinders for a minute I’m not sure that this is exactly as much of an indictment on Kirk as people appear to be making it. Maybe I missed stuff cause I normally have in state rivals hidden.

Ive actually been relatively impressed with Kirks handling of it from what I’ve seen. My understanding is that the problems are with the strength staff. I haven’t seen anything really about Kirk. To me it seems like a staff that was frankly out of touch with the impacts of racism and failed to recognize the issue.

I think Kirk has tried to do a good job of listening and fostering a better culture over the past week. I think for to long a lot of people have frankly just failed to confront the issues in our society. I would put myself in that boat. I think Doyle should absolutely be gone but I guess I’m not seeing why Kirk should be gone. I think we are going to see a lot of similar scenarios throughout society. The important thing is to remove the bad actors and for the complacent leaders to begin listening and improving cultures.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Honestly, I'm just waiting for ex-college players all over the country to start coming out with how they were treated in college by their white coaches.

And I'm fully prepared for the fact some of them might be former ISU players. I really hope that's not the case, but I would be stupid and naive to think it didn't happen at ISU to black players. I'd be somewhat surprised if CMC did, but how well do you really "know" someone?

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
All the hok fans attacking Rob Howe for doing his job is pathetic, many of them seem to be trying to justify the ******** that has been going on.

Reactions: aauummm

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Honestly, I'm just waiting for ex-college players all over the country to start coming out with how they were treated in college by their white coaches.

And I'm fully prepared for the fact some of them might be former ISU players. I really hope that's not the case, but I would be stupid and naive to think it didn't happen at ISU to black players. I'd be somewhat surprised if CMC did, but how well do you really "know" someone?

I've seen this a lot, and I agree. Here's my thoughts.

1. Do I think this has happened at ISU in the past? Absolutely, and I think we're naive to think otherwise. I'd be sad and disappointed if we heard about issues from the Rhoads or Mac years.

2. I'd be shocked if Campbell has had issues like this, considering he's a younger "new regime" coach. That doesn't mean something couldn't have happened with his older staff members. If I'm Campbell and Pollard, I'm using this issue at Iowa to be proactive and do a review of the football program/AD to see what mechanisms we have in place to help players that don't feel comfortable.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Taking off Iowa State blinders for a minute I’m not sure that this is exactly as much of an indictment on Kirk as people appear to be making it. Maybe I missed stuff cause I normally have in state rivals hidden.

Ive actually been relatively impressed with Kirks handling of it from what I’ve seen. My understanding is that the problems are with the strength staff. I haven’t seen anything really about Kirk. To me it seems like a staff that was frankly out of touch with the impacts of racism and failed to recognize the issue.

I think Kirk has tried to do a good job of listening and fostering a better culture over the past week. I think for to long a lot of people have frankly just failed to confront the issues in our society. I would put myself in that boat. I think Doyle should absolutely be gone but I guess I’m not seeing why Kirk should be gone. I think we are going to see a lot of similar scenarios throughout society. The important thing is to remove the bad actors and for the complacent leaders to begin listening and improving cultures.

But if KF just decided to try to get ahead of it in the last week because of Hankins.... is that enough? He allowed if for years and years and years..... up until the point where he thought the s**t might hit the fan, and then comes out in public about it??

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Personality wise I'd think CMC and Rhoads staff knew better but to put it delicately we thought Mangino was brilliant at KU and a tool after his time here, so who knows.
I think Chiz is a slime ball so nothing would suprise me.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
All the hok fans attacking Rob Howe for doing his job is pathetic, many of them seem to be trying to justify the ******** that has been going on.

Well yeah, they don't want to see anything bad happen to their precious HAWKS! If their program is setback because of this, what do they have?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I've seen this a lot, and I agree. Here's my thoughts.

1. Do I think this has happened at ISU in the past? Absolutely, and I think we're naive to think otherwise. I'd be sad and disappointed if we heard about issues from the Rhoads or Mac years.

2. I'd be shocked if Campbell has had issues like this, considering he's a younger "new regime" coach. That doesn't mean something couldn't have happened with his older staff members. If I'm Campbell and Pollard, I'm using this issue at Iowa to be proactive and do a review of the football program/AD to see what mechanisms we have in place to help players that don't feel comfortable.

Great post!

I agree that JP and CMC should be getting out ahead of this right now. Make all the players know that JP and CMC's doors will always be open to anyone that feels like they aren't being treated fairly in any way. Things need to be transparent.

It seems somewhat obvious to me that that wasn't the case at Iowa. It sounds like some of these players were afraid of ever speaking out to anyone, which isn't good. They only felt like they could speak out after they left the program.

Reactions: aobie

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA

I mean, honestly Twitter is a cesspool of the worst people who shout thier opinions as loudly as possible. I think we would see that with any fanbase.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Sounds like Kirk identified this as a problem and has been working to fix it. Some of the comments/actions that have been attributed to Doyle make it clear that he needs to go. There should be zero tolerance for statements like that in any setting.

If Kirk was previously aware of it, why didn't he remove Doyle from the start? This reads he swept it under the rug thinking nothing will happen. This is not a one time incident, allegedly this has happened for years and is systemic. Just admit it, Kirk is in serious trouble.

Reactions: Angie and CyTwins

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

Count on it. However, will the merits of each charge be given any due process or will the pressure be too much and decisions (or firings) will need to be made to satisfy? Interesting waters we are moving into.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think there are a few too many Cyclone fans taking glee over potential racial issues at Iowa simply because it's Iowa.

**** Iowa but racial issues in the mid-west do NOT shy from Ames.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Either Kirk knew and hasn't dealt with this effectively or he is so out of touch with what's going on in his program that this has been happening. Not sure how he can survive either.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I think there are a few too many Cyclone fans taking glee over potential racial issues at Iowa simply because it's Iowa.

**** Iowa but racial issues in the mid-west do NOT shy from Ames.
True, but Iowa's athletic department is notorious for casting stones at other athletic departments then sweeping their own issues under the rug or paying hush money for the issue to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.