SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Passing:
Purdy - 458/695 (66%), 6232 yards, 43 TD's, 16 INT's, 157.0 passer rating
Martinez - 373/598 (62%), 4573 yards, 27 TD's, 17 INT's, 135.8 passer rating

Rushing:
Purdy - 193 rushes, 557 yards, 13 TD's
Martinez - 285, 1244, 15 TD's

I have no idea how you think Martinez is overall more talented. Better runner? For sure. Better passer? Not even close. Martinez doesn't do nearly enough on the ground to be better though.
Haven't heard from Gonzo in awhile and then he shows up out of the blue and is having a pretty rough day with these takes

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Passing:
Purdy - 458/695 (66%), 6232 yards, 43 TD's, 16 INT's, 157.0 passer rating
Martinez - 373/598 (62%), 4573 yards, 27 TD's, 17 INT's, 135.8 passer rating

Rushing:
Purdy - 193 rushes, 557 yards, 13 TD's
Martinez - 285, 1244, 15 TD's

I have no idea how you think Martinez is overall more talented. Better runner? For sure. Better passer? Not even close. Martinez doesn't do nearly enough on the ground to be better though.

Do you think Purdy faces the same quality of defenses as Martinez?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
This is where the conversation should just end. Purdy is a significantly better passer than Martinez, by a good margin. You act like Purdy's numbers are against high school kids and the big ten west is the NFL. Don't die on this stupid hill.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They played South Alabama, Northern Illinois, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, and Maryland last year. You talk about Purdy only being great vs bad teams and doesn't excel against the good ones, while Martinez does neither. In the first four games games of the year, he threw for 7 passing TD's and 2 INT's. In the final 6 games, he threw 3 total TD's and 7 INT's. That's absolute garbage.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This is where the conversation should just end. Purdy is a significantly better passer than Martinez, by a good margin. You act like Purdy's numbers are against high school kids and the big ten west is the NFL. Don't die on this stupid hill.

Sorry but Martinez faced much tougher pass Ds than Purdy and it isn't really close. And before you start into the whole 'Big 12 passing Ds look bad because the offenses are just that potent', then why when Purdy did face top-notch passing Ds did he disappear?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sorry but Martinez faced much tougher pass Ds than Purdy and it isn't really close. And before you start into the whole 'Big 12 passing Ds look bad because the offenses are just that potent', then why when Purdy did face top-notch passing Ds did he disappear?
Purdy
Notre Dame #3 passing defense: 17-30 (57%), 222 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's
Iowa #19 passing defense: 24-34 (70%), 276 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's

Martinez
Ohio State #1 passing defense: 8-17 (47%), 47 yards, 0 TD's, 3 INT's
Iowa #19 passing defense: 10-18 (56%), 50 yards, O TD's, 1 INT

Hmmm which quarterback would I rather have.......

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Purdy
Notre Dame #3 passing defense: 17-30 (57%), 222 yards, 0 TD's, 0 INT's
Iowa #19 passing defense: 24-34 (70%), 276 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT's

Martinez
Ohio State #1 passing defense: 8-17 (47%), 47 yards, 0 TD's, 3 INT's
Iowa #19 passing defense: 10-18 (56%), 50 yards, O TD's, 1 INT

Hmmm which quarterback would I rather have.......

Purdy is good at racking up nice stats, absolutely. He led his team to a blowout loss against ND and a close loss to Iowa. Martinez led his team to a blowout loss against OSU and a close loss to Iowa.

Point stands, Purdy wouldn't start at Nebby. I think you actually agreed with that.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
It's interesting when you look at total offense versus total defense from the last few seasons (camparing B10 and B12). The B12 teams are heavily represented in the top 30 or so on the offensive side and the inverse is true for the B10. The script flips going to the defensive side of the ball. While the B10 may have better defenses, the B12 teams have better offenses. A good offense isn't necessarily a product of poor defenses and vise versa. The B10 has better defenses the B12 has better offenses, in general. And that's okay.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
It's interesting when you look at total offense versus total defense from the last few seasons (camparing B10 and B12). The B12 teams are heavily represented in the top 30 or so on the offensive side and the inverse is true for the B10. The script flips going to the defensive side of the ball. While the B10 may have better defenses, the B12 teams have better offenses. A good offense isn't necessarily a product of poor defenses and vise versa. The B10 has better defenses the B12 has better offenses, in general. And that's okay.

Stew. This has been stated a million times, they don’t care.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Purdy is good at racking up nice stats, absolutely. He led his team to a blowout loss against ND and a close loss to Iowa. Martinez led his team to a blowout loss against OSU and a close loss to Iowa.

Point stands, Purdy wouldn't start at Nebby. I think you actually agreed with that.
My point about Purdy not starting at Nebby didn't have anything to do with talent. It had to do with Frost not being a competent head coach. And since we're using your logic on wins and losses, Purdy's been far more successful at Iowa State.

Purdy has better stats, has lead his team to more wins, is projected to be a better QB next year, and is projected to go higher in the draft. If you don't like Brock just say it. You have no stats to logically back you up besides saying Nebraska played better defenses. Okay? So Northwestern's QB played good defenses too, but that doesn't mean that guy's better than Brock either.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
He wouldn't start over Martinez at Nebby. McCaffrey and Milton at Michigan were among the best QB recruits in the entire country in their classes, sorry but Purdy's not starting over either of them. He's not starting over Coan at Wisconsin. Penix at Indiana is a total freak and is being projected as a first round pick when he comes out. If you think he'd start over Clifford at PSU, ok, but I don't. Hell who knows if he'd even start at Iowa, has the kid ever taken a snap from behind center in his life?

Purdy is good and a pretty ideal fit for CMC's system, but you need to take the blinders off.
You’re really reaching, Gonzo.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Stew. This has been stated a million times, they don’t care.

What are you talking about? The Big XII has good offenses and the Big Ten has good defenses. Has any Iowa fan disputed that? Don’t act like y’all are above the fray on this point - why do Iowa State fans get so offended when you point out that offensive players in the Big XII have inflated stats due to playing bad defenses and running a ton of plays?

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
What are you talking about? The Big XII has good offenses and the Big Ten has good defenses. Has any Iowa fan disputed that? Don’t act like y’all are above the fray on this point - why do Iowa State fans get so offended when you point out that offensive players in the Big XII have inflated stats due to playing bad defenses and running a ton of plays?
*whispers* (because you can say the same about Big Ten offenses).

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
Yeah, sure. A 2nd round talent (at worst) wouldn't start at Nebraska, PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin or Indiana. F'in ridiculous. Minnesota has an argument. But PSU would be in playoff contention with a good QB.

A second round talent at worst? I’ll take some action on that. Personally, I would be absolutely shocked if Purdy goes in the first round. He’s a second round talent at best in my opinion, and really more of a 3rd-4th round guy.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
*whispers* (I have stated on this website before that Big Ten defensive stats like PPG and total yards are inflated due to lackluster offenses)
That's fine. The fact of the matter is you can absolutely tell the good defenses and offenses in each conference apart from the fake ones.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
He wouldn't start over Martinez at Nebby. McCaffrey and Milton at Michigan were among the best QB recruits in the entire country in their classes, sorry but Purdy's not starting over either of them. He's not starting over Coan at Wisconsin. Penix at Indiana is a total freak and is being projected as a first round pick when he comes out. If you think he'd start over Clifford at PSU, ok, but I don't. Hell who knows if he'd even start at Iowa, has the kid ever taken a snap from behind center in his life?

Purdy is good and a pretty ideal fit for CMC's system, but you need to take the blinders off.
Can't tell if this is a troll or not.