ISU Athletics Staff Member Tests Positive

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
They will have choices to make. If someone opts out for a season then someone else gets elevated to cover.

Does that mean departments will need to hire on additional, younger staff? Where does the extra money come from to pay for those extra jobs?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
People, especially in the 18-22 age range, are going to be in group settings going forward. That's reality. This group setting happens to be closely monitored and involves immediate access to medical care. To me, that's about as low risk as you can be in a situation that inevitably involves inherent risk.

Reactions: SpokaneCY

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
It states 3 to 6 weeks in the article. OUCH!
I think you have to be symptom free for a week or the mandatory 14 day isolation. If you were asymptomatic you would be good to go after two wweks. On the other hand,if you had symptoms for two weeks or longer add a week of being symptom-free before you would be allowed back.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
People, especially in the 18-22 age range, are going to be in group settings going forward. That's reality. This group setting happens to be closely monitored and involves immediate access to medical care. To me, that's about as low risk as you can be in a situation that inevitably involves inherent risk.

again, that’s all find and good. But it still doesn’t answer the question about how football will be played.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
yep. And I find it hard to believe that if they are testing properly there won’t be lots of schools forfeiting.

again, look at what happens when they test the meat plants 15-25% are positive. The state claims most don’t have symptoms. But you’d still have to sit an athlete for 6 weeks.

I think you could say it's likely that their policy for sit out time might be different during the season. Before team workouts have even started, it makes sense to just tell people to stay away for a long time to be safe. My assumption/hope is that once the season spins up, testing will increase and will allow players return on a case by case basis once they're examined individually and shown to be no longer contagious.

One thing I've heard recently is that it may not be as easy as getting a negative test to prove you're over it. The tests can sometimes pop positive for a long time after symptoms end. So, how do you decide when that person is safe to return without infecting others? They may have recovered from all symptoms, but still have some amount of virus in their system. Hard to say when they are no longer contagious. Hopefully doctors are studying this.

I still maintain the risk is manageable for players and coaches in a controlled environment. It's much easier to manage 15-25% of a 300 person football team than a 5000 employee meat plant. Also, I think it's reasonable to say that the risk might be lower for a team due to being out in the open most of the time, in close contact for a shorter duration, and generally being more physically fit and healthy with a high access to medical care relative to the workers at the plants.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I say I just ran this thread up to 10 pages in record time. Thanks for the clicks!

I wish I knew how to be as intellectually bankrupt as you. It must be hilariously fun to make stern pronouncements on complex, serious issues and then, when challenged by difficult facts and sound reasoning counter to your opinions, retreat into asinine switcharoos like that. "Wait you guys were taking me seriously? Haha! I win!"

That must be quite the amusing way to avoid serious discussions about a complicated issue and to avoid examining the shortcomings in your arguments.

There is a word for those who enjoy causing mayhem and disruption of civility for their own bemusement, which seems to be your jam. We call them trolls.

What you are choosing to not understand is that we are discussing risk. That is a conversation you don't want to have because it takes us all uncomfortable places.

So much this.

The human brain's least-favorite subject is its own death. It is, of course, inevitable and coming for us all someday, but few of us like to think about that.

I think this is why people dismiss more quixotic but undeniably more statistically dangerous things (e.g., car accidents, obesity leading to health complications, etc.). They then instead concentration on the "hit by lightning" outliers for comfort.

It is easier and more fun to concentrate on weird and unusual instances of death because you are psychologically shielded by their unlikelihood. Considering the risks of our daily lives and how dangerous mundane things like getting in a car can be is frankly terrifying, so we choose irrelevant things to worry about (e.g., international terrorism) instead of realistic ones (e.g., cardiovascular illness or diabetes, etc.) because it fills us with existential dread to take a stone cold look at the objective numbers on our own mortality.

The human brain does not want to look into the void and contemplate its own end. So it dismisses car accidents (and the known and incredible health risks associated with playing football, for that matter) as just "part of life"... so it can pretend those risks do not exist, even if they do... and goes for the new and shiny one instead.

Reactions: Statefan10

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
ISU is not first in having kids sick. Not by a long shot. All eyes are NOT on ISU to see how we handle this.

Can you point me to where another AD has had to deal with COVID among athletes or staff after bringing them back to campus? I haven't seen any other instances of it in the news.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Can you point me to where another AD has had to deal with COVID among athletes or staff after bringing them back to campus? I haven't seen any other instances of it in the news.

Oklahoma St. and Marshall have both reported cases. Links were posted earlier in the thread.

Reactions: heitclone

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Which brings up the question, when a vaccine is released, will any of you get in line? Or perhaps wait and see what the risks and side effects are after a period of time?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Let them all have a big party and get some herd immunity going. Can't believe this has 11 pages already. Did you really not expect this to happen? You're going to find some positive tests if you test a large population of people.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Which brings up the question, when a vaccine is released, will any of you get in line? Or perhaps wait and see what the risks and side effects are after a period of time?

Heck no. Still firmly of the opinion I was already exposed so it would be entirely risk only. Even if that wasn't true I still wouldn't be getting a fast tracked and untested treatment.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
people acting like a positive case wasn't going to happen bringing people back.

of course it's going to happen.

but 18-24 year olds have a better chance of dying by getting struck by lightening than they do with corona.

you wrap yourself up in bubble wrap when you leave the house, too?
I know you have a disdain for Yamahashi but this is going too far.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Someday we’ll have a thread on CF with both major parties in it. Today is not that day.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
No illicit sex either amongst the kiddies and no parties. Best of luck with that.

Yeah, it's really hard to see this whole thing ending well.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, it's really hard to see this whole thing ending well.

"The chancellor's job had come to be defined as providing parking for the faculty, sex for the students, and athletics for the alumni." ~Clark Kerr

Clark Kerr (May 17, 1911 – December 1, 2003) was an American professor of economics and academic administrator. He was the first chancellor of the University of California, Berkeley, and twelfth president of the University of California.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

Yes, I'll get the vaccine when it's available. Fast tracked does not mean it won't be effective.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006

Depends on how the testing/approval is done. If they complete all necessary steps to the same level of thoroughness in a shorter amount of time, I would get it early on. I'm not in a high risk category, so I wouldn't jump ahead of those who are, but still as early as it would be readily available.

If they cut corners, reduce thoroughness, accept higher than normal levels of complications, etc to get it done faster, then no I won't.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yes, I'll get the vaccine when it's available. Fast tracked does not mean it won't be effective.

You'd think it will be out there for a while for specific groups before it's widely accessible which would maybe give a better idea of how effective it is.