Music Groups or artists that you used to not like, but now do like

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
a more modern/recent one, but Harry Styles. I hated him in One Direction and all that teeny-pop ****. But since he has moved to a solo career I have been very impressed by his range and consistency to not fall into a stereotypical musical act that left a boy band.

His acoustic covers on the Tiny Desk Concert were what solidified it for me.

Adore You acoustically is 5x better than the studio version imo.

Reactions: Macloney

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The Doors. Hated them. A couple of years ago, my daughter told me to give them a listen again. They're pretty darn good.

Funny -- they are the opposite for me.

They get less and less interesting as I get older.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I will go with Fleetwood Mac. Like others I was quite the contrarian so didn't appreciate much that was uber popular. So when Rumours came out I was pretty down on them. Over time I've come to appreciate them for what they are/were. Still not a huge fan, but will not avoid them with vigor like I had before.

Surprised so many have come to appreciate Elvis Costello. I was a huge fan back in his heyday and there weren't that many. His music was not really played anywhere around here with any kind of regularity so you sort of had to seek it out.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I will go with Fleetwood Mac. Like others I was quite the contrarian so didn't appreciate much that was uber popular. So when Rumours came out I was pretty down on them. Over time I've come to appreciate them for what they are/were. Still not a huge fan, but will not avoid them with vigor like I had before.

Surprised so many have come to appreciate Elvis Costello. I was a huge fan back in his heyday and there weren't that many. His music was not really played anywhere around here with any kind of regularity so you sort of had to seek it out.

Fleet wood Mac was my parents second favorite band (behind the Eagles). Loved it as a kid, went away from it, then started messing around with guitar, bass guitar, and synth in my late 20’s and digging in to their musicality more. Now I’m a huge fan of FM again. I don’t care for Stevie Nicks that much (or vocals in general in any music)really but their musical connection is amazing. You can see how much they’ve hated each other and burned every bridge amongst the group, but that musical connection always brings them back because they could never find it anywhere else. And that is cool to me.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
For sure Nickelback! If I could relive those days I know the one thing that would never change

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Kings of Leon. I still don't think they're really that good but their early stuff was at least raw and they were just playing some rock and roll.

Recently I still don't like his actual music but I've realized Post Malone is a talented person and his Nirvana set might have been some of the best I've seen/heard out of him. I think he mentioned that he wasn't using autotune and he should stick with it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Kings of Leon. I still don't think they're really that good but their early stuff was at least raw and they were just playing some rock and roll.

Recently I still don't like his actual music but I've realized Post Malone is a talented person and his Nirvana set might have been some of the best I've seen/heard out of him. I think he mentioned that he wasn't using autotune and he should stick with it.
Post is good. He can play guitar, writes his own stuff, produces. Has an ear for melody and gets into your head.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I used to think Billy Joel was overrated trash, but I enjoy most of his music now

Except for 80s doo wop Billy Joel
AgileIdolizedBlackcrappie-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Cypwr

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Others may differ, but I think the band really peaked in the first half of the 70s. The band tended to follow Jerry, and when he became an addict in late 70s, things started to slide. Not to say they weren't good in the 80s and early 90s, but just not as good. Ironically, that's when they achieved their greatest popularity. I also liked when Pigpen (their blues singer) was in the band (up through early 70s).

They started to peak again in '89. Jerry was more committed to getting healthy and they were killing it live. Then Brent died.

My ideal year to go back and see them would be 1976.

Reactions: matclone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Nickleback is so generic that I have a hard time enthusiastically hating them. I don’t like their music, but I just can’t muster a reaction, and hating them has become a total cliche/expected opinion.

Creed is light years worse. That’s a truly hateable band.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
They started to peak again in '89. Jerry was more committed to getting healthy and they were killing it live. Then Brent died.

My ideal year to go back and see them would be 1976.
I didn't realize Brent was in the band for 12 years. I thought it was only a handful