Music Groups or artists that you used to not like, but now do like

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This is an easy one for me and I think it is interesting how musical tastes evolve. For my choice it was as much about rebelling against what everyone else was in to at a certain time vs disliking the music specifically...

74273862.jpg

I’m still not a huge Jerry guy but I have come to have so much appreciation for the entire Dead story and Bob Weir is one of my favorite guitarists.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I used to have a string dislike for REM when I first heard them. I didn't start listening to them until their material was off the radio for years and now like a large chunk of their stuff.

Also, I'm not sure if I'd go as far to saying "like" but there's a few pop artists that I've grown to appreciate after being exposed to their songs by my daughter. I was never a fan of Lady Gaga due to all of the weird crap that she did early on, but I can appreciate that she has a pretty remarkable voice. Sia, as well.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn. I used to think they were over hyped.

About 5 years ago I started listening to a lot of blues musicians. Then, when I went back and listened to Vaughn and Hendrix I really appreciated them more. I guess my musical pallet evolved.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I hated Nickelback when they were actually popular. Then everyone turned on them and I felt sorry for them. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're one of my favorite bands, but I think the hate is overblown.

I hated U2 for awhile, then I realized it was their fans that I couldn't stand.

In the early 90s I was a bit irritated by the love for Red Hot Chili Peppers; now they're definitely one of my favs.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
This is an easy one for me and I think it is interesting how musical tastes evolve. For my choice it was as much about rebelling against what everyone else was in to at a certain time vs disliking the music specifically...

74273862.jpg

I’m still not a huge Jerry guy but I have come to have so much appreciation for the entire Dead story and Bob Weir is one of my favorite guitarists.
Others may differ, but I think the band really peaked in the first half of the 70s. The band tended to follow Jerry, and when he became an addict in late 70s, things started to slide. Not to say they weren't good in the 80s and early 90s, but just not as good. Ironically, that's when they achieved their greatest popularity. I also liked when Pigpen (their blues singer) was in the band (up through early 70s).

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I hated Pearl Jam in middle school becaide I was a Nirvana fan and apparently Kurt didn’t like them. I listen to them much more than Nirvana today.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I hated Nickelback when they were actually popular. Then everyone turned on them and I felt sorry for them. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're one of my favorite bands, but I think the hate is overblown.

I hated U2 for awhile, then I realized it was their fans that I couldn't stand.

In the early 90s I was a bit irritated by the love for Red Hot Chili Peppers; now they're definitely one of my favs.

I didn't care for Nickelback that much back in the 2000s, but nowadays I don't mind hearing their songs. Small amount of nostalgia there.

And I agree - they're not the greatest band ever, but I don't think they're awful either.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Growing up I was one of those kids that hated everything that was overly popular. Hated the Jordan Bulls, hated Seinfeld. I went so far as to trade my Jordan cards for crap in return because I hated them so much. Now I respect the hell out of the Bulls teams, but Seinfeld still blows.

Anyways musically, growing up they had a segment on the radio during drive time (to school) called the "Pearl Necklace", where they played 2 Pearl Jam songs back to back, every. damn. day.

I hated them like no other. Now I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan by any means, but definitely enjoy some of their music and respect them as artists.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Others may differ, but I think the band really peaked in the first half of the 70s. The band tended to follow Jerry, and when he became an addict in late 70s, things started to slide. Not to say they weren't good in the 80s and early 90s, but just not as good. Ironically, that's when they achieved their greatest popularity. I also liked when Pigpen (their blues singer) was in the band (up through early 70s).

I find myself gravitating to like ‘77-‘80 shows.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I used to like the electric version of "Revolution" a lot more, but over time, I am finding it more and more bombastic and gravitating more and more towards the singalong doo-wop acoustic version of it, usually called "Revolution 1." I think John was right. That style is more in keeping with the thematic content of the song. So I like it more now.

Does that count...?

Last edited:

HappyJoe

Jan 21, 2014
Des Moines
Wow.. I got so excited to post when I saw this only to see mine already mentioned. I absolutely hated these artists until I listened more and more. Watched some videos, listened to some rare songs and now enjoy. Steely Dan and Elvis Costello.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I really, really hated early punk when I was younger. Husker Du, MC5, Fugazi, Bad Brains - it was all too "hard" for me when it would get played at throwback parties, and I just never went down that rabbit hole when learning about older music. Now I love it.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
The Doors. Hated them. A couple of years ago, my daughter told me to give them a listen again. They're pretty darn good.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn. I used to think they were over hyped.

About 5 years ago I started listening to a lot of blues musicians. Then, when I went back and listened to Vaughn and Hendrix I really appreciated them more. I guess my musical pallet evolved.

I overlooked this genre completely, but I completely agree. I never listened to blues growing up until a co-worker of mine got me listening to some of the older musicians. Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, BB King, Johnny Lee Hooker, Bobby Blue Bland.

Strangely enough, I'm still not a huge Hendrix fan though.