Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Talking to a couple church friends who have spouses in the care center. They have been on lock down two weeks before anything happened state wide, since around the 10th of March. The only interaction they get is to look through their room windows while talking on their cells phones. They are confined to their rooms. The two spouses who are not in the care centers both said that they and their spouse are at the point that they would rather risk the virus than to live like this anymore.

They say they are alive, but they aren't "living". These are couples that are totally inseparable. I know my mom would call me while in the care center a couple times a day, especially if I missed a day of stopping in to see her.

We are in a balancing act right now. Their lives matter, but even some of them say it's no life that they are living. I know each situation is different, but it does make you think like those with bad cancer situations (I sat their while my sister made this decision), is it better to have a few good months of doing what you want or a year of isolation? I feel for those in care facilities all the way around.

maybe those living in them should realize that they aren’t the only ones that matter. What if a nurses aide gets it and passes it on to their husband.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
it's almost like electing a governor mostly because she was a buddy of the ex-governor wouldn't backfire.

Funny you should say that. I actually caught myself thinking that the ol' Stache looks pretty good right about now...

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
What I'm reading is most people have this perspective: we don't believe enough is was done when the threat was known early on and enough isn't being done now.

Sure, 21 said it harshly. But based on the context of his posts, he's basically saying the above.Do you agree with that perspective - or is it "wrong" as well?

I don't see how you get "Not enough was done early on" from "The governor wants everyone to die." That's a large leap.

I think most people agree not enough was done early on. Very few people agree that the governor wants everyone to die, or feels that it's acceptable for large numbers of people to die. It's been over a month since the first reported cases only 60 people have died in the state so far, most of those are people who were in high risk categories who even in the most ideal environment would still be at greater risk than the general population. It's important to keep that in mind, imo, before making fear based statements like "the governor wants everyone to die."

Reactions: Scott34

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think everyone thinks that way. I hate to use the car accident analogy again, but if people actually thought "no deaths are acceptable, we can prevent them all", then they would never get into a car.

People commonly die in car collisions though because they have the 'won't happen to me' mentality and continue with chosen high risk behaviors just like it has been with Covid-19.

Maybe if the message was stronger about the national economical impact of car collisions (hundreds of billions of dollars annually) that would change too since people don't acknowledge the injuries/deaths part very well.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It depends on what is meant by "doing more". I don't agree more businesses should have been shut down earlier, or that they should now. I do agree that more people could have and should be taking precautions themselves.

So, I don't agree that from a governmental level, we should have done more, or need to do more. I do agree that from a personal level, people could have done more, and need to be more careful. This includes wearing masks, avoiding touching people, washing hands, etc.. I think the long term solution for the virus is for people to be personally responsible for themselves to not get the virus and not spread the virus. Continuing to shut down business long term is not a solution.

Well I think your perspective is deeply wrong then.

spinback32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2006
Cedar Rapids
hospitals badly need to be bailed out. they have (by force or choice) canceled all elective surgeries / treatments which is their main source of revenue.

Hospitals have been bailed out by insurance revenue for a long time. Time for them to run a leaner ship.

I have several family members (including my wife) that work in various levels of different hospitals - the leadership structure in these places is an absolute clown show. In most cases - there is 3, or more, highly paid individuals, doing the job of one person.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
You should probably avoid using this terminology in the future. When people say "acceptable amount" about people dying, it can set some people off.
While I agree that it does set people off I’d say that more of a them problem than a problem with what @isutrevman said. Whether people admit it or not everyone does some of that type of analysis. If any death is unacceptable no scenario of life is acceptable. It may be a bit crass to say it but there is an acceptable amount of death in everything.

For anyone that is affected by that terminology read the below post.
Talking to a couple church friends who have spouses in the care center. They have been on lock down two weeks before anything happened state wide, since around the 10th of March. The only interaction they get is to look through their room windows while talking on their cells phones. They are confined to their rooms. The two spouses who are not in the care centers both said that they and their spouse are at the point that they would rather risk the virus than to live like this anymore.

They say they are alive, but they aren't "living". These are couples that are totally inseparable. I know my mom would call me while in the care center a couple times a day, especially if I missed a day of stopping in to see her.

We are in a balancing act right now. Their lives matter, but even some of them say it's no life that they are living. I know each situation is different, but it does make you think like those with bad cancer situations (I sat their while my sister made this decision), is it better to have a few good months of doing what you want or a year of isolation? I feel for those in care facilities all the way around.

I think that this is something that a lot of people need to hear. At some point society as a whole will get to this point where life in a preventative society is not worth the added safety. We aren’t there yet but in some places I think we are within a month of getting there.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Well I think your perspective is deeply wrong then.
Ok. Then do you have a solution that keeps the virus from spreading until we have a vaccine, which could be never? A solution that doesn't lead to food shortages, power outages, permanent mass unemployment?

What do you think we should be doing 6 months from now?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
If you were a state handling this competently, would you want to attach yourself to Iowa right now? Politically we're untouchable.

Never mind. Kim would rather hang out with her besties.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009

To go along with this, my father-in-law was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's 5 years ago, at the age of 57 (symptoms were starting to show up around 50). Over the last few years, he has lost all recognition of my wife and her sisters, his own children. My mother-in-law would visit him every other day, and she was the only person that he still could remember by name.

In the last month, without being able to leave his room, he has lost his ability to walk. He's 62!! My mother-in-law went to visit through the window a couple weeks ago and he doesn't recognize her. He doesn't understand why she won't come in to talk, and he got very upset with her.

She was bawling the other night on a video call with my wife, saying she would be willing to risk the virus in a heartbeat to be with him, but that's obviously not going to happen.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Ok. Then do you have a solution that keeps the virus from spreading until we have a vaccine, which could be never? A solution that doesn't lead to food shortages, power outages, permanent mass unemployment?

What do you think we should be doing 6 months from now?

People also have to understand that even a vaccine will not completely help. By the time a vaccine is widely distributed, there will likely be other strains. Yes, the vaccine may help with other strains, but there is no way that we will be able to completely stop this virus.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
Never mind. Kim would rather hang out with her besties.

Much as I feel less negative about Reynolds' handling of this situation than several others here, this really disappoints me. Very short sighted thinking from her.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
While I agree that it does set people off I’d say that more of a them problem than a problem with what @isutrevman said. Whether people admit it or not everyone does some of that type of analysis. If any death is unacceptable no scenario of life is acceptable. It may be a bit crass to say it but there is an acceptable amount of death in everything.

For anyone that is affected by that terminology read the below post.

I think that this is something that a lot of people need to hear. At some point society as a whole will get to this point where life in a preventative society is not worth the added safety. We aren’t there yet but in some places I think we are within a month of getting there.

A phrase like "acceptable deaths" makes it seem like more could have been done to prevent some deaths. If/When someone I know dies of this, I'd like to know everything possible was done to have prevented it. Our current situation is temporary. Everyone needs to realize it. Saying life is currently not worth living is shortsighted. Things will loosen up eventually and possibly return to some semblance of normal. People need to be more patient.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
A phrase like "acceptable deaths" makes it seem like more could have been done to prevent some deaths. If/When someone I know dies of this, I'd like to know everything possible was done to have prevented it. Our current situation is temporary. Everyone needs to realize it. Saying life is currently not worth living is shortsighted. Things will loosen up eventually and possibly return to some semblance of normal. People need to be more patient.

Only if we accept that a certain number of people will still get the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron