Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
well yes. But what is the alternative? If everyone gets sick the plants aren’t running anyway. I suspect they’ve only tested people with symptoms in these plants. Apparently Tyson is sending people to other plants. It’s hard not to see that we’re ******.
Iowa’s peak is easily a month away if not longer.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The UW's model has been wrong anyway as the last two days have been the deadliest and cases are jumping up again nationwide, but maybe their projection of Iowa having more deaths than other surrounding states with higher populations has some merit.

You understand there is a lot of uncertainty in that model which is indicated by those shaded areas. The numbers are going to jump around some. Its not going to follow a nice orderly curve. You can't take the 2 most recent observation points and declare the model is wrong.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
And yet, our corporate office just sent us documentation to have with us as though we are in a shelter in place because that's what 'the Iowa Department of Public Health has informed us is necessary in the event of law enforcement involvement'

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Our state unfortunately is a making a mockery of this whole ******* thing. It’s embarrassing in all honesty.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Half of the deaths stem from long-term care facilities. Let's not get so caught up in the numbers without context. It's worse case situation for those types of places. Some of you need to maintain perspective.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Half of the deaths stem from long-term care facilities. Let's not get so caught up in the numbers without context. It's worse case situation for those types of places. Some of you need to maintain perspective.
So those lives don’t matter?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

I'm not judging but this reads like old lives don't matter.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Governments all over will be a mess for the next year. No travel means local roads not being fixed, towns and counties are delaying. Any Ag based state will have budget issues. Livestock, grain,ethanol businesses just hit with 25-35% revenue, revenue not profit, cuts from this. Service sectors are beat down.

Things are going to get really bad. Like unimaginable bad I’m afraid.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Surprise surprise no one was ready for the meat plant problems.

Why do we insist on stupid people in charge.

I know for a fact that steps were taken to control people flow to reduce interactions and workers were being checked for temperature before starting the day.

Short of testing everybody everywhere around the place every day including truck and delivery drivers, what steps should have been taken that are consistent with maintaining operations?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You understand there is a lot of uncertainty in that model which is indicated by those shaded areas. The numbers are going to jump around some. Its not going to follow a nice orderly curve. You can't take the 2 most recent observation points and declare the model is wrong.

Yes...I'd like to see what their updated projections are though. Those tend to come up every 3 days or so.

Most other countries I've looked at on the Worldometer site show that they had a big spike and then other spikes before recently dwindling down a bit.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know for a fact that steps were taken to control people flow to reduce interactions and workers were being checked for temperature before starting the day.

Short of testing everybody everywhere around the place every day including truck and delivery drivers, what steps should have been taken that are consistent with maintaining operations?

Well first of all incentives for showing up every day in April shouldn't have been a thing. Second, they should not be shipping workers from Columbus Junction up to Waterloo without being tested.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Was there an opportunity in January or February or so to start a plan for this process that would have us closer to this point now?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Of course the elderly matter. They're lives are just as precious as mine. What I'm saying is that those people in those facilities are the most susceptible as they basically mark every box the CDC says are most likely to suffer the worst consequences. The reality of this situation is that they were always going to be worst off.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Was everyone required to wear a mask? Were common areas sanitized between uses? Were shift changes, breaks and meal times staggered? Were shift sizes and operations reduced?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So region 6 is now a 10, and absolutely nothing is changing.

I’m sorry, but poor Kim is in WAY over her head. She’s making Iowa look terrible.

Reactions: NEPatriotscy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Call me fu***** crazy but I would have considered spacing people out and operating slower vs running the throttle wide open and operating at capacity. We are talking about numerous plants that are going to sit idle instead of just reducing their output. Being labeled "essential" doesn't mean you get to ignore all of the other precautions that need to be taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron