Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t disagree that this was a bad idea but I still don’t think people will not be happy until everything gets shut down. The whining isn’t helpful IMO. Come up with actual suggestions like you did and you are adding to the discussion.

A plan to stagger workers to spread them out over shifts or space but still keep up some form of sustainable production while still at least being employed would maybe be helpful (I don't know logistics of that, just a thought) but that would have taken proactive measures.

And that would have required more intervention beyond suggested guidelines or checklists.

That's a whole lot of carriers likely spreading it around over the last month or so.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
And there's people out there that think this is just fine which is almost worse.

I'd LOVE for the restrictions to be pulled starting tomorrow and for life to get back to being life but this is just one example of how much of a hornets' nest we're getting into.

It's an every day problem in meat production.

I was a red hat at Tyson more than 20 years ago. I had production lines where every person working for me earned more than $13/hr with benefits, and some who were earning almost $20/hr, but no shows even when operating under normal circumstances might be as high as 20% on any given day.

I'd never make excuses for that company as an employer--the bottom line was the only thing that mattered--but it is obvious the corporate policy wasn't up to the challenge here at all given their importance in staying open.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I understand that. I wasn't saying it as a large scale solution. More people should go this route, though, if they can afford it. Pandemic or no pandemic.

The cost of a deep freeze and the cost of processing/butchering is way less than what you'd pay per pound at the store!

I get not everyone has the ability to do that.

Better product, too.

But a great deal of laws and regulations would have to change to make that possible. I've done leg work on this concept and it would just be easier to change the rules governing processed meat sales than navigate them legally.

But there's a lot of grocery and packing interest in keeping regulatory costs high for small producers wanting to enter into the market. So I don't really expect it to change, despite a proven need.

Reactions: ZB4CY

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
A plan to stagger workers to spread them out over shifts or space but still keep up some form of sustainable production while still at least being employed would maybe be helpful (I don't know logistics of that, just a thought) but that would have taken proactive measures.

And that would have required more intervention beyond suggested guidelines or checklists.

That's a whole lot of carriers likely spreading it around over the last month or so.
I guess I don’t know for sure but are these plants not constantly running? I would support trying to space out breaks and stuff but I guess I am under the assumption that spacing out people means job loss and/or decreases in production.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I guess I don’t know for sure but are these plants not constantly running? I would support trying to space out breaks and stuff but I guess I am under the assumption that spacing out people means job loss and/or decreases in production.

I can't imagine a plant that would have the space or equipment to do it, honestly. There's barely enough time to run sanitation on third shift before first gets there the following day already. It would require a major systems overhaul.

They'll pay a huge premium for antibody tested/proven workers before that happens.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's an every day problem in meat production.

I was a red hat at Tyson more than 20 years ago. I had production lines where every person working for me earned more than $13/hr with benefits, and some who were earning almost $20/hr, but no shows even when operating under normal circumstances might be as high as 20% on any given day.

I'd never make excuses for that company as an employer--the bottom line was the only thing that mattered--but it is obvious the corporate policy wasn't up to the challenge here at all given their importance in staying open.

I'm curious how the disease is spreading at that kind of plant. I read upthread that they don't wear masks or face guards - and I know they work in an assembly line format where the meat passes from person to person. I had initially assumed that lockerrooms, breakrooms, etc would have spread the disease - but with it being this widespread I wonder if it isn't passing from employee to employee on the meat?

on second thought maybe I don't want to know

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Region 6 reached a 10, which means that meets the criteria for a SIP. Two other regions at 9 and I think they’ll hit a 10 soon.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Surprise surprise no one was ready for the meat plant problems.

Why do we insist on stupid people in charge.

Reactions: NEPatriotscy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Governments all over will be a mess for the next year. No travel means local roads not being fixed, towns and counties are delaying. Any Ag based state will have budget issues. Livestock, grain,ethanol businesses just hit with 25-35% revenue, revenue not profit, cuts from this. Service sectors are beat down.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
So basically she wants us all to die

I wouldn't go that far I think we are okay doing what we are but you can't say "at level 10 we will have additional measures" and then not do anything additional.

And now this gem

"We have a question from someone who can't access the internet to get stimulus check information."

"We'll get that up on the state coronavirus website."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
She even just admitted that she is not changing a damn thing in region 6.

So she set up expectations for what would require more action that was a 10 point list, and then when it reached it, didn't come through.

Yeah that's not mixed messaging at all. You know what many will see that as? That everything's fine.

The UW's model has been wrong anyway as the last two days have been the deadliest and cases are jumping up again nationwide, but maybe their projection of Iowa having more deaths than other surrounding states with higher populations has some merit.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

well yes. But what is the alternative? If everyone gets sick the plants aren’t running anyway. I suspect they’ve only tested people with symptoms in these plants. Apparently Tyson is sending people to other plants. It’s hard not to see that we’re ******.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I wouldn't go that far I think we are okay doing what we are but you can't say "at level 10 we will have additional measures" and then not do anything additional.

And now this gem

"We have a question from someone who can't access the internet to get stimulus check information."

"We'll get that up on the state coronavirus website."
To be fair that is a federal and not a state program, but yeah... not a great answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.