Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Since the article is behind a paywall, how are they doing this? Are people not allowed to leave their homes at all, even to go to the store? If not, I wouldn't exactly call it a complete lockdown. Also, how are the going to to deal with people entering the country for the next 18 months? I suppose they could test them all, but that would require a test that gives pretty immediate results and is 100% accurate so no one slips through the cracks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Cool....but how much can they let off after the 4 weeks? Also is it easier for them to monitor 'violators'? Their culture involves less violence and crime than the USA...I'd think it's more cut and dry. Certainly easier to communicate with 4 million people in a smaller space.

Not arguing, just thinking logistically.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Does it matter? I don't know why anyone cares whether she calls it a SIP.
In the grand scheme of things, no, but it's certainly interesting when asked the specific question as to why she's not using any sort of phrasing as other states have, she talks around the question.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Not to distract from the daily ****show, but some numbers: 1119 test results for the 24 hr period, increase of 5 hospitalizations to 104 currently, 9 people discharged and recovering for a total of 89.
I believe that's by far the most test results for any 24 hr period.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Cool....but how much can they let off after the 4 weeks? Also is it easier for them to monitor 'violators'? Their culture involves less violence and crime than the USA...I'd think it's more cut and dry. Certainly easier to communicate with 4 million people in a smaller space.

Not arguing, just thinking logistically.
Agree...and they are an island capable of basically shutting down international travel. Size is roughly double the size of Iowa, but with a lower population density.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Does it matter? I don't know why anyone cares whether she calls it a SIP.
People complained because it made us look like inbred hicks who didn't care about what's going on until it was too late, which should matter to people who don't like being labelled as inbred hicks. Now, we're pretty caught up in terms of policy to other, similar states.

At this point, it's even less sensical that, according to the top health official in the country, we are doing a SIP but our governor simply refuses to accept that point for reasons nobody, not even she, can explain.

Initially we were told we weren't doing a SIP 'cuz it wasn't needed. Then we were told were basically doing the same thing, but not really, but basically. Then we are told we are doing the same thing, but just won't call it that. The same people who initially said we don't need a SIP have now seemlessly transitioned to saying we've been doing one the whole time. How does that mental gymnastics work?

How about we just fix the messaging outright at the source, who is the governor, and stop the confusion altogether? Yes, it's a silly argument, but on the outside it still...makes us look like inbred hicks with dips*** leadership who's being a stubborn prick about something stupid for literally no reason and no gain whatsoever.

We've had enough bad publicity after the caucus f***ups, let's not gather more with this idiocy. It's not hard to see why people would be upset with poor messaging related to how we are handling this compared to other states or at the federal level.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Not to distract from the daily ****show, but some numbers: 1119 test results for the 24 hr period, increase of 5 hospitalizations to 104 currently, 9 people discharged and recovering for a total of 89.
I believe that's by far the most test results for any 24 hr period.
Is the 1100 tests a recent outlier or a growing trend of higher daily results? I genuinely don't recall.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Since the article is behind a paywall, how are they doing this? Are people not allowed to leave their homes at all, even to go to the store? If not, I wouldn't exactly call it a complete lockdown. Also, how are the going to to deal with people entering the country for the next 18 months? I suppose they could test them all, but that would require a test that gives pretty immediate results and is 100% accurate so no one slips through the cracks.
They skipped the gradual phase of lock down and went to it immediately basically.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
*Compares numbers between the two and the respective measures taken by each*

Looks like the train wreck has happened in NYC. We all know who you are saying got ahead of it, but the details tell a different story.
I have to admit I'm confused about what your argument here is. Clearly an urban, dense environment with as many people as our entire state has would have a much tougher time containing and controlling something like this. Doesn't take a brain blast to decipher that.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I have to admit I'm confused about what your argument here is. Clearly an urban, dense environment with as many people as our entire state has would have a much tougher time containing and controlling something like this. Doesn't take a brain blast to decipher that.

that wasn’t his intent.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I'm sure there maybe some other reason for not calling it a SIP, but the 2 reasons that come to mind are 1. If we stay below hospital capacity throughout this whole thing she comes out the other side smelling like a rose since she didn't put a SIP (in name only) in place. 2. She doesn't believe what we or any other state is doing is truly a SIP which would be more like a lock down, and why call a round ball square even though everyone else is doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.