Casting Couch: Best and Worst people casted

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
OK, I'm gonna say the role of Jack Reacher should have gone to the Rock, not Tom Cruise. The book version of Reacher is that he's a huge dude that dwarfs everyone and nobody wants to mess with. Not sure how they got Tom Cruise out of that description, but oh well.
15 years ago I would have gone with Sam Elliot.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Rory Cochrane as Slater and Mcconaughey as Wooderson in Dazed and Confused. Actually can I just nominate that entire cast for best?

Another nostalgia movie that was perfectly cast was American Graffiti.

Not as many comedic situations but everyone gives you the genuine feeling that they're unknowingly living in a time before really drastic societal changes were about to take place (summer of 1962).

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Kevin Costner belongs in both categories:
Great Casting: "Dances with Wolves"
Awful Casting: as Robin Hood in "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"

Another perfect casting was Pat Morita as Mr. Miyagi in "The Karate Kid"
I like him in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves! Of course I was 11 when the movie came out so I will always see the movie through that lens.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
OK, I'm gonna say the role of Jack Reacher should have gone to the Rock, not Tom Cruise. The book version of Reacher is that he's a huge dude that dwarfs everyone and nobody wants to mess with. Not sure how they got Tom Cruise out of that description, but oh well.

Truth. If you forget the books the two Reacher movies are good stay-at-home Covid-19 watches. Saw the second the other night and was thinking who to cast if you went closer to the books take and also thought maybe the Rock. Maybe a beefed up Hugh Jackson.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
But yet they always mess with him anyway. Otherwise the Reacher books would be about a chapter long.

I was going to say Tom Cruise as Reacher as well. But I disagree about the Rock as Reacher instead. Both the Rock and Cruise are too "pretty" to play Reacher, Reacher is described as a giant, but is also supposed to be average looking. It will be interesting to see who plays him going forward because they are planning on making more movies.

I'd say Liam Niesen is closer to the Reacher I have pictured in my head, if Niesen were about 4 inches taller and about 40 pounds heavier. Definitely not that midget Cruise. (what is he 5-5?) I don't know who I'd cast as Reacher.

Agree that Cruise was a terrible choice.

Maybe John Krasinki?

Reactions: Doc

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
The movie the Outsiders might be the best casted movie of all time. Someone had a serious eye for talent.

Pulp Fiction was perfect casting also

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and I thought he would really suck at that.

Michael Jordan in Creed

Reactions: Angie and Joe4Cy

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Perfect choices:
Snoop Dogg as Huggy Bear in the updated Starsky & Hutch

2 for X-men: Kelsey Grammer as Beast and Patrick Stewart as Professor X

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Truth. If you forget the books the two Reacher movies are good stay-at-home Covid-19 watches. Saw the second the other night and was thinking who to cast if you went closer to the books take and also thought maybe the Rock. Maybe a beefed up Hugh Jackson.

Yeah, obviously I read the books before the movies came out, so when I was visualizing Reacher, it was Dwayne Johnson that I was seeing. Guess that colored the films a bit for me. You can't knock Cruise for his acting skills, but he's a good foot shorter than what the character is "supposed" to be.

And I had also considered Hugh Jackman, but he's "only" 6'2", which is my height. I figured this would be a dude who is bigger than me. Maybe JJ Watt after he gives up football.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Great: Sean Connery in The Rock. Nic Cage in Face off. Bruce Willis in Die Hard. Tom Hardy in everything he's been in especially Peaky Blinders and Lawless. Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds. Cristopher Waltz in the same. Shia in Peanut Butter Falcon. Pitt in Burn After reading. Malkovich in Con Air. Buschemi in Con Air. Jeff Lowe in Tiger King.

Bad: All Batmen except Bale. John Travolta in almost anything. Cruise in Reacher. Jon Hamm in Baby Driver.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Yeah, obviously I read the books before the movies came out, so when I was visualizing Reacher, it was Dwayne Johnson that I was seeing. Guess that colored the films a bit for me. You can't knock Cruise for his acting skills, but he's a good foot shorter than what the character is "supposed" to be.

And I had also considered Hugh Jackman, but he's "only" 6'2", which is my height. I figured this would be a dude who is bigger than me. Maybe JJ Watt after he gives up football.

After Tom Cruise played Reacher, I think somebody 6'2" would be plenty tall enough for the role. My thought was Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (he was Jaime Lannister in GOT).

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Great: Sean Connery in The Rock. Nic Cage in Face off. Bruce Willis in Die Hard. Tom Hardy in everything he's been in especially Peaky Blinders and Lawless. Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds. Cristopher Waltz in the same. Shia in Peanut Butter Falcon. Pitt in Burn After reading. Malkovich in Con Air. Buschemi in Con Air. Jeff Lowe in Tiger King.

Bad: All Batmen except Bale. John Travolta in almost anything. Cruise in Reacher. Jon Hamm in Baby Driver.

Glad you said "almost" because he's great in 'Get Shorty'.

Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I always thought a poor choice of actor for a role was John Cusack in the movie 2012. He just doesn't fit in a disaster movie, I can accept him much better in comedy or even romantic comedy (Serendipity).

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I always thought a poor choice of actor for a role was John Cusack in the movie 2012. He just doesn't fit in a disaster movie, I can accept him much better in comedy or even romantic comedy (Serendipity).
Agree. John Cusack is perfect for light comedies.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Anyone ever see the movie Whiplash? J.K. Simmons nailed it. Well deserved Oscar victory for that role.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I like him in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves! Of course I was 11 when the movie came out so I will always see the movie through that lens.
His acting was fine - it was just head-scratching that they did not cast an actor who could demonstrate an adequate English accent. BTW, I watched this with my dad - on the day that I had purchased my very first NEW vehicle (a red Ford Probe LX). I had a hard time staying focused on the movie as my feelings fluctuated between excitement and dread (over the fact that I had an additional debt to pay off each month).

Reactions: Macloney

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron