Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
This will pass and I think we've probably been exposed to this virus even as early as last fall and didn't even know it. Eventually herd immunity will slow the spread and I think a good dose of fresh outdoor air even in a packed stadium will do us more good than fearing the virus as we are right now.

I understand why you might think that. Last Thanksgiving I had a fever for 5 days and had absolutely no motivation to do anything. I could extrapolate that it was the virus, however, I believe it wasn't until December that there was ANY news from China about this. Also, if I had it why aren't we seeing exponential growth starting in November instead of Feb/Mar

Easy to imagine I had it, but taking all evidence together, not very likely.

Also, sitting in a packed stadium with ANY infected people is NOT a good idea. If you think so, go visit a COVID patient and get in bed with them for a few hours. Get some fresh air, for sure, but don't do it with anyone in coughing distance from you.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Catching up from yesterday's conversation here.

What is the intent of a stay-at-home order?

My understanding is that it is to minimize the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 at any given time.

If you believe the intent is anything else, please explain.

It looks like we are currently have 61 people in the hospital. What is the maximum number of hospitalizations the state can manage, and, per projections, when should we hit our limit?

To be honest, 2 weeks ago I was all for a stay-at-home order in Iowa. I wanted to get 'over' it as quickly as possible. However, the more this has dragged on in Iowa, we might be best served to let it ride out assuming:
- Hospitals aren't overrun (definitely have to look at future projections not just current state)
- Those that have died from COVID-19 probably would have anyway (IE the virus will eventually spread and those individuals were cared for in a strong medical environment)
Iowa has about 280 ventilators. The three closest hospitals from my home has a combined total of 14. My family Dr. has told me he's fully aware that they will be choosing who lives or dies in the next few weeks.

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
After reading this forum, I always thought it was going to be one of those 30 to 40” blizzards that was going to do us in. I was wrong.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Iowa has about 280 ventilators. The three closest hospitals from my home has a combined total of 14. My family Dr. has told me he's fully aware that they will be choosing who lives or dies in the next few weeks.

But it's ok because some of those people were probably going to die soon anyway.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
But it's ok because some of those people were probably going to die soon anyway.
Our rural hospital system is in a tough place. The small hospital closest to us has four vents. As of yesterday two of them were being used on non-Covid patients.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
why do you think Kim has done a better job?

And how do you explain her factually incorrect assertion for several days that you only needed to stay home if you felt sick?

I mean, that is straight from the CDC recommendations. Why do people seem hell bent on making this the governor’s fault when she’s literally taking guidance and advice from experts?

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa

No, the point is that even with ventilators, some will die. Some die from the flu too.

And, that the question in my previous post: what rules are we playing by? I don't think that any expert has said that locking everyone up will make it go away. This virus will make its way through our society. The only goal that I have seen is to slow it down so that the hospitals are not overwhelmed.

Now, that could be one of 2 things: 1) we minimize the number of patients (but extend the duration) or 2) we hold it off until we have enough supplies to tackle it properly.

I have not seen any suggestion that locking everyone up for 2 weeks would magically make it go away. And that magic is the only thing that will keep death rates at 0.

Last edited:

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
It’s baffling to me how many idiots just don’t understand the concept of flattening the curve and that hospitals have very limited lifesaving resources even with all the available info.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I'm in IT for an essential business so as long as we have workers in the office I don't see a work from home option for me coming any time soon. And there are also support scenarios where someone will have to come into the office for support too. I'm much more diligent than I usually am about washing my hands, using hand sanitzer, and wiping down surfaces I touch than I usually am. I'm well aware of the risk I am taking right now but after talking to a friend whose income is based on sales commission and he is currently not getting paycheck as a non-essential worker I will take that gamble on the statistics so far because in the big picture Iowa is a drop in the bucket compared to the high density populations.

This will pass and I think we've probably been exposed to this virus even as early as last fall and didn't even know it. Eventually herd immunity will slow the spread and I think a good dose of fresh outdoor air even in a packed stadium will do us more good than fearing the virus as we are right now.

FWIW, they think a single soccer match was one of Italy’s main issues.
https://time.com/5809848/game-zero-soccer-game-italy/

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
the United States has so many people completely full of ego and pride...and this is why we're the epicenter...and some of the ridiculous comments above represent all of that.

The fear I have for Iowa is that we have all of these rural communities that are one infected person away from wiping out nearly everyone. Rural folks truly believe they aren't in harms way, that they're tougher than city folks (I've heard this countless times) yet they live in areas where if it spreads, they've got nowhere to go and limited recources.

I live just outside of DSM in a small town...roughly 5,000 people...and it's maddening to see families still getting together and letting their kids play, high schoolers having their boyfiends/girlfriends visit.

My health and my family health supersedes anyone's temporary inconvenience. It's very hard not to be judgemental during this time but it's a fact that I'll have fewer friends as a result of what I've seen people NOT do.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Iowa can’t handle a severe uptick in positive cases as we do not have near enough resources to handle it. Oh and by the way a sneeze or cough cloud can travel up to 27 feet.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa

Yeah, that isn't much. How many are available and how many are in use with COVID patients right now?

I wonder what the right trigger point is. I don't know that we have enough information to have an informed opinion at this point.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
To many people won’t make the right choice because a higher power isn’t telling them what to do or shutting **** down, but there are a lot of idiots out there that think they’re this or that, Merica

Please don't read my questioning as not believing the situation: My family is in near lock down. Wife and I are working from home, have gotten take out a couple times from a local restaurant, have been to a local softball diamond for hitting and exercise with my daughter, and groceries once in the last ~2 weeks.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
No, the point is that even with ventilators, some will die. Some die from the flu too.

And, that the question in my previous post: what rules are we playing by? I don't think that any expert has said that locking everyone up will make it go away. This virus will make its way through our society. The only goal that I have seen is to slow it down so that the hospitals are not overwhelmed.

Now, that could be one of 2 things: 1) we minimize the number of patients (but extend the duration) or 2) we hold it off until we have enough supplies to tackle it properly.

I have not seen any suggestion that locking everyone up for 2 weeks would magically make it go away. And that magic is the only thing that will keep death rates at 0.

I'm glad you're not one of the people making the argument that many of those ill only had 5-10 years left anyway (or other underlying illness) so they should be willing to die for the economy. I agree with your points 1 & 2 and I haven't advocated for the last paragraph.

Last edited:
Reactions: agcy68

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I mean, that is straight from the CDC recommendations. Why do people seem hell bent on making this the governor’s fault when she’s literally taking guidance and advice from experts?
I think this more has to do with the Laissez Faire leadership style she has been using to handle this. I understand for Iowa that approach was probably needed to be used right away, as we clearly are different from other states, however now we're behind our efforts compared to even more rural states than ours.

She's closed down a lot of our businesses and all schools, however that's literally what every other state had done and she basically had to do that. Since then though, she's put it into the hands of Iowa citizens to "do their part". She's relying on hope that we all will combat this together. That all sounds fine and dandy until you look at the fact that a large portion of the Iowa population don't even believe this is as serious as it is. People are not listening to her recommendations and guidelines. Yesterday there were countless photos being posted to social media proving that fact.

Yesterday when questions came up about kids still hoarding in groups, she blamed parents for allowing that to happen. I mean, obviously it's on the parents to control their kids, but if you're just going to give simple recommendations and not actually enforce any of those, these parents who don't believe this is serious are going to continue to allow their kids to do whatever they want. Those same parents are most likely the ones that are throwing house parties, having garage sales, etc.

People want social interaction.. most want to be around one another. I understand that and I'm like that too. So when you simply recommend something and there are absolutely no consequences for not following along, you're going to get what you're seeing now. She doesn't feel like it's necessary to take more actions at this time as far as enforcing a more strict "lock down" policy. I can understand why, even if I don't agree with it. However, she has to become more powerful in her language. She has to sound forceful. This is not the time to be nice, nor is it the time to be a friend. She's a governor, not a family member.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Yeah, that isn't much. How many are available and how many are in use with COVID patients right now?

I wonder what the right trigger point is. I don't know that we have enough information to have an informed opinion at this point.
I was responding to a post that you said we already gave it two weeks and maybe it's best we just go back to," riding it out as long as we don't overrun our hospitals."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No way this has been here that long

And no way it just 'blows over'.

Repeating but this isn't some high pressure, high heat and humidity system that's going to just 'break' and be done.

It might fade a bit but people thinking we're just gonna push it aside after this next month are living outside of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron