Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
why do you think Kim has done a better job?

And how do you explain her factually incorrect assertion for several days that you only needed to stay home if you felt sick?

As I’ve said several times, I don’t think she’s been that bad. But DeWine has been clearly better. I could name some other Dems that I think have been better, but to keep it non political I’m sticking with DeWine.

As of today, Ohio has 2200 cases. Iowa has 500. Ohio population is about 4x ours. Numbers seems pretty equal to me...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
why do you think Kim has done a better job?

And how do you explain her factually incorrect assertion for several days that you only needed to stay home if you felt sick?

As I’ve said several times, I don’t think she’s been that bad. But DeWine has been clearly better. I could name some other Dems that I think have been better, but to keep it non political I’m sticking with DeWine.

I don't think Governor Reynolds has necessarily done a better job. I haven't kept up with other states, except MN, outside of deaths and cases that have been reported, so this discussion has made me dig into many more and have realized that most of the Stay at Home directives are similar to what we have. I was just curious why posters were getting so wound up since the other states are basically similar to ours but have less testing, more deaths and more cases.

I have not seen the press conferences for today and yesterday due to work. I will look at the last two if I can pull them up and then answer the assertion that she is saying people don't need to stay home if they are not sick. It seems odd to close schools, shutter businesses and such and tell people to feel free to go out.

I guess I don't remember the posts where you have said she has done a good job with any part of this so I may need to reread some posts then.

I look at the hospitalization number, the deaths and see what the amount of positive tests percent of total tests are. That is what I base my opinion of how the leaders of Iowa are doing. So far they seem to be solid compared to other states out there, so therefore I think they are doing a decent job, not great, not terrible.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Never mind. I was concerned it was the Iowa Dept of Public Health that was mathing wrong. Which was concerning. Turns out it’s the Register. Lol. Figures.
Randy Pete is doing the math.
Also, it is comforting to know there are so many potential governors on CF. :cool:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So why wouldn't you guys mention them, it is starting to seem like you guys care more about politics right now than if the right decisions are being made.

I checked on Ohio, they have 2.5X the per capita amount of people hospitalized for corona and over 2X the amount of per capita deaths from this, but we are told they are a model to uphold.

When asked if you would give credit to Reynolds if everything turned out o.k. you said no because you feel she is guessing at things.

The other states that you guys mentioned are testing at a way lower rate than Iowa, but you chastised Reynolds earlier in this thread for not enough tests being done, but you think Virginia and Kansas are great, even Maryland is only about 10% per capita higher than us.

If you want to hate her decisions due to her political affiliation, just say that because that is what it appears you are doing.
Actually, my views on her have nothing to do with her political affiliation and surprising enough, I’m a republican. I just don’t necessarily agree with her tactics so far and think she’s not following her criteria well. I just think she’s being reactionary that’s all.

I think she is thinking a lot about the economy and less about the possibility of endangering more lives because right now we’re not in trouble, however we could end up being in trouble if she doesn’t get a handle of everything.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The state that appears to have gotten a handle on their cases is Minnesota, but nobody has mentioned them. People mentioned states with more per capita deaths and hospitalizations than us.

I just talked to my brother who's got a friend in Minneapolis that works in an ICU.

Don't remember all the details, but they don't have a handle on cases and the sentiment is that's it's about to be just as awful there as anywhere.

Minnesota's on the lower end for numbers but they must be anticipating much worse.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Hawaii has been the real outlier so far to me. So much so in fact I’ve seen accusations of them fudging their numbers. When you think about where most of their income derives from, it’s pretty easy to jump to that conclusion.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Actually, my views on her have nothing to do with her political affiliation and surprising enough, I’m a republican. I just don’t necessarily agree with her tactics so far and think she’s not following her criteria well. I just think she’s being reactionary that’s all.

I think she is thinking a lot about the economy and less about the possibility of endangering more lives because right now we’re not in trouble, however we could end up being in trouble if she doesn’t get a handle of everything.

To try to avoid the politics to keep it out of the cave, I will try to stay with what the differences in states are. I read the Ohio directive, and I was wrong it was put in place a week ago not yesterday, and as I went through it it came out pretty similar to what we have. One oddity that i found was that you can go to parks and any outdoor thing (as long as you don't have more than 10 in your group) and use them as much as you want. You can also run errands for people who are unable to run things or at risk of corona. As I read the directive, a lot of the teeth were knocked out of their directive. (Marijuana growers were specifically singled out for exemption for example).

I think this may be the biggest difference in what is being discussed. Some people feel that there is a wide difference between what states like Ohio and Mn have and what Iowa currently has. Some of us don't see much of a difference. I guess that I have held off of going to a few places to get stuff to buy time to see if it improves, but I'm thinking I may go grab the stuff incase some sort of shut down comes along.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The first death in Minnesota was 3/19. This: https://mn.gov/deed/newscenter/covid/business-exemptions/
was issued by their governor on 3/25. Read through it. It’s essentially equal to what we’re doing. Not sure where you’re getting your information. Mine is from their state dept of health website.
http://www.citypages.com/news/minnesota-ordered-to-shelter-in-place-for-two-weeks/569098891

“As of Wednesday, Minnesota has 287 confirmed cases of coronavirus, aka COVID-19, with one death and a dozen people currently in intensive care, up from seven on Tuesday. Under the state's models, Walz said, up to 74,000 Minnesotans would die from coronavirus if the state did not take steps to mitigate social interaction and the virus's spread.”

Okay so I got my information from this article that says at that point of time they had 287 cases and only 1 death. Also, if you read how their governor addressed this, he had a very strong approach. He said you’re not locked in your homes and encouraged going outside, but also said if you choose to not abide by his mandate, you can be fined / thrown in jail. He also said he mandated even the essential businesses to work from home to help with social distancing.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
http://www.citypages.com/news/minnesota-ordered-to-shelter-in-place-for-two-weeks/569098891

“As of Wednesday, Minnesota has 287 confirmed cases of coronavirus, aka COVID-19, with one death and a dozen people currently in intensive care, up from seven on Tuesday. Under the state's models, Walz said, up to 74,000 Minnesotans would die from coronavirus if the state did not take steps to mitigate social interaction and the virus's spread.”

Okay so I got my information from this article that says at that point of time they had 287 cases and only 1 death. Also, if you read how their governor addressed this, he had a very strong approach. He said you’re not locked in your homes and encouraged going outside, but also said if you choose to not abide by his mandate, you can be fined / thrown in jail. He also said he mandated even the essential businesses to work from home to help with social distancing.

I texted my sister about the last sentence. Her husband is required to go into work as an essential employee (government worker, management level) and my sister is optional and she is not what I would come close to labeling essential.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

“Workers in healthcare, law enforcement, food and agriculture, energy, public utilities, journalism, banking, childcare, education, construction, and hotels, among other industries, are exempt from the work-from-home mandate.
This is pretty much what you were supposed to be doing anyway.”
It’s a difference without a distinction. Other than the threat of a fine.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I texted my sister about the last sentence. Her husband is required to go into work as an essential employee (government worker, management level) and my sister is optional and she is not what I would come close to labeling essential.
Yeah like someone mentioned before, there are still going to be places that absolutely cannot work from home and also places that don't end up following through.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
“Workers in healthcare, law enforcement, food and agriculture, energy, public utilities, journalism, banking, childcare, education, construction, and hotels, among other industries, are exempt from the work-from-home mandate.
This is pretty much what you were supposed to be doing anyway.”
It’s a difference without a distinction. Other than the threat of a fine.
I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but I believe they stopped construction now as well.

Also, I'm sure people would be less inclined to go against our governor's recommendations if there was a penalty involved. Even if there was no jail time.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah like someone mentioned before, there are still going to be places that absolutely cannot work from home and also places that don't end up following through.

Yeah, my BIL would be an easy WFH person IMO. MN government just says he needs to go in. So it appears that even MN doesn't have a harsh directive.

Somebody else mentioned this. If you don't follow the orders, are they really going to put you in jail? They are letting out what they consider to be lighter criminals because of this so what is the probability that they jail a person?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah, my BIL would be an easy WFH person IMO. MN government just says he needs to go in. So it appears that even MN doesn't have a harsh directive.

Somebody else mentioned this. If you don't follow the orders, are they really going to put you in jail? They are letting out what they consider to be lighter criminals because of this so what is the probability that they jail a person?
I think the 90 days in jail would be for those who are not following the rules over and over again, or the people that cause a disruption. I have a hard time believing they'd throw someone in jail because they were in a group of people that was too large. But yeah, doesn't really make THAT much sense to throw them in jail for a very minor offense while also letting out people with minor offenses lol.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I'm not 100% sure if this is true, but I believe they stopped construction now as well.

Also, I'm sure people would be less inclined to go against our governor's recommendations if there was a penalty involved. Even if there was no jail time.
Construction has not stopped

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Construction has not stopped
Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe they were talking about somewhere else, but I thought they said Minnesota. I was under the influence that construction was an essential business for most states.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I have no idea why people think a shelter in place in Iowa is worth the paper it’s written on. Iowans live in comfortable living quarters not on to of each other. My in-laws live in Colorado, which is on “lockdown” and they say everyone is treating it like any other day, out and about. Same goes with California, people think it’s just PTO and are having a great time outside together. Unless we call in the military it takes people taking ownership to enforce the shelter in place. I saw someone comment on this, Reynolds says she is not opposed to shutting down portions of the state rather than the whole state.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Have you seen the video of the hospital ship coming in to dock in NYC(NYC!)?
There was a group of about 250-300 people there watching. I mean crowded together, shoulder to shoulder. Some channel was there doing a live feed. Unfortunately, some of the onlookers were on-duty NYPD. Well, some city official noticed this, got on the horn to the Chief, who then contacted the cops on site and told them to disperse the crowd. Lol. You couldn’t make this **** up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron