Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
FWIW, Arizona just implemented a stay at home order (or whatever you want to officially call it). Now down to 6 states (technically 5 considering Nevada has it implemented it but for some reason isn't being counted). Nevada is calling it "Stay Home Nevada".

So it's Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Arkansas.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
FWIW, Arizona just implemented a stay at home order (or whatever you want to officially call it). Now down to 6 states (technically 5 considering Nevada has it implemented it but for some reason isn't being counted). Nevada is calling it "Stay Home Nevada".

So it's Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Arkansas.
Wonder if Kim wants to be last just to get some PR move?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Thinking about ordering pizza then blaring the shooting scene from Home Alone to keep my distancing. Good idea? Bad idea?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You do realize I could get in a vehicle and drive x amount of miles and interact with nobody correct? This metric is basically worthless.

You want to compare Iowa to NYC?
Yes I'm sure that most of these people getting into their cars are simply driving around and interacting with literally no one. Like this article said, you should take this with a grain of salt, but it's not totally meaningless.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wonder if Kim wants to be last just to get some PR move?
In my opinion, Gov. Reynolds wants to be able to look back and say she held out as long as possible before having to use this measure. Time will tell whether or not that's the right choice or the wrong choice. If I were to error on the side of caution though, I'd be doing what the other 95% of the United States is doing..

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You’re buying in to the fallacy that “flattening the curve” equates with saving lives. It doesn’t, assuming hospitals don’t reach the point of being overrun.

Fallacy? So basically your argument is that flattening the curve doesn't save lives unless it accomplishes what it is supposed to accomplish (keeping hospitals from getting overrun)?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Fallacy? So basically your argument is that flattening the curve doesn't save lives unless it accomplishes what it is supposed to accomplish (keeping hospitals from getting overrun)?
No. The worst case scenario is the do nothing one. We’re past that. If the # of deaths is the same under the social distancing scenario and the lockdown scenario, which would you prefer?

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
You do realize I could get in a vehicle and drive x amount of miles and interact with nobody correct? This metric is basically worthless.

You want to compare Iowa to NYC?

No I want Iowa to do everything it can to keep the death toll as low as possible here.

Reactions: cowgirl836

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wife has some Oprah thing on and it’s awful. Some dude talking about his positive test and he apparently flew all over the place. Then his wife decided to fly to meet him and she finds out she is positive. So she was positive while flying. Oprah sits there with her hands all over her face.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
No. The worst case scenario is the do nothing one. We’re past that. If the # of deaths is the same under the social distancing scenario and the lockdown scenario, which would you prefer?

But Iowa can do more that doesn’t include everyone being locked inside their house. There are currently thousands of nonessential employees going to work everyday that can’t maintain the recommended social distancing.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Do we know yet that immunity is a thing for sure? From what I've seen it's still in question.
You will definitely be immune for a while. Your body just killed off the virus, so if you were exposed to it a day later, for instance, your body would just kill it again. I think most experts would guess "immunity" would last for at least 6-12 months just based on other corona viruses. Obviously we wont know for a while, though. Immunity also doesn't go from 100% immune to 0% over night. Your antibodies gradually decrease over time, so maybe you get the virus again in 2 years, but have a less sever case if you still have some antibodies left, so your immune system isn't starting from scratch again.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So outlaw vehicles also while we’re at it?
There's a spectrum to all of this and you're choosing to go to the extreme. Those of us in here are advocating towards measures that honestly almost every single state has already taken. No one is saying we should take away cars, or lock people in their houses, or any other authoritarian measure you're suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.