Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
From the reports that I read. They track cell phones for how well they are following shelter in place. Might explain why rural areas are worse. They have to travel 10-20 miles to get groceries. A lot of animal agriculture in Iowa. Feed trucks and delivery trucks racking up miles. Getting ready for planting puts miles on. It’s a very prejudiced set of data favoring states with larger towns.
Yeah that makes sense actually. I won't read into those as much then.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I've seen explanations say one meaning is the same number of sick folk, but over a much longer time horizon.
Right -- so the goal still is to stretch the illnesses out over time to get them better care/not overwhelm the system.

In theory you could reduce the total number of infections this way if a cure or vaccine or such were to come along during this time, but that seems very unlikely to apply here.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Seriously? You’re worried about ******* grades?
As someone pointed out, our grade might not be as good due to our farming, but I mean yeah you should probably worry about grades. They're based on data..

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Right -- so the goal still is to stretch the illnesses out over time to get them better care/not overwhelm the system.

In theory you could reduce the total number of infections this way if a cure or vaccine or such were to come along during this time, but that seems very unlikely to apply here.

So many variables in place. Do you get less deaths since you take pressure off the hospitals? Could be. Do you have more deaths because you stretch out how long this May float around the communities and possibly have it keep reigniting? Could be. You really never know if your plan was the right or wrong one until well after the dust settles. I’m not for just opening everything back up. Need to allow hospitals to have the ability to deal with it.

A positive about getting it later is you get a shot to see what has worked for others and have a little knowledge on it. A negative is that other states may suck up all the ventilators and PPEs and you don’t have the supplies when you need them.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
From what I've been reading on here, most of the people on here that don't want more extreme measures taken are those already working from home and don't have that added factor of risk. Those who are arguing for more extreme measures seem to be currently more at risk because they have to continue to work at a non-essential business.
My girlfriend (essentially my wife) has to go to her office 2 to 3 times a week for what I am assuming would be deemed non-essential. She is perfectly capable from doing her job at home, but her boss wants the office staffed for "business continuity", which is a bunch of bs. I get it. I'm not saying I would be opposed to the governor doing more, I'm just saying from a big picture perspective I do think we have done a lot to lower the curve already.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
My girlfriend (essentially my wife) has to go to her office 2 to 3 times a week for what I am assuming would be deemed non-essential. She is perfectly capable from doing her job at home, but her boss wants the office staffed for "business continuity", which is a bunch of bs. I get it. I'm not saying I would be opposed to the governor doing more, I'm just saying from a big picture perspective I do think we have done a lot to lower the curve already.

See this is what those bosses don't understand. It's damn hard to have "business continuity" when everyone gets sick at the same time. I can understand having some core essential staff on-site but not everyone at the same time.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah that's definitely true.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
So many variables in place. Do you get less deaths since you take pressure off the hospitals? Could be. Do you have more deaths because you stretch out how long this May float around the communities and possibly have it keep reigniting? Could be. You really never know if your plan was the right or wrong one until well after the dust settles. I’m not for just opening everything back up. Need to allow hospitals to have the ability to deal with it.

A positive about getting it later is you get a shot to see what has worked for others and have a little knowledge on it. A negative is that other states may suck up all the ventilators and PPEs and you don’t have the supplies when you need them.
There's certainly a delicate balance involved and many [rapidly-] changing variables. As it pertains to supplies, I would think the long game would still be better overall -- more time to produce and identify future needs.

Yeah. Which is exactly what we’ve been doing.
So what's the fallacy, again? We're flattening the curve, to hopefully save lives and/or provide better care, which you also said is a fallacy... Did I miss something here?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Took the kids to a local hiking spot that usually has no one at it. About 10 minutes down the trail a group of 8 or so teenagers come running down the path panting playing tag. One fat girl stops 2 feet from us and starts to cough like she's out of breath.

I couldn't control myself and shouted "you have got it be ******* kidding me right now. MOVE!"

We went straight to the car and drove home.

Reactions: joker

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Took the kids to a local hiking spot that usually has no one at it. About 10 minutes down the trail a group of 8 or so teenagers come running down the path panting playing tag. One fat girl stops 2 feet from us and starts to cough like she's out of breath.

I couldn't control myself and shouted "you have got it be ******* kidding me right now. MOVE!"

We went straight to the car and drove home.

Good. Since so many people live virtually, actual, real interactions with others may actually mean something.

Hope all works out.

This study on human stupidity (the teens playing tag) continues.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
You’re the one guaranteeing SIP would save lives compared to what we’re doing. Show me the supporting data.

They’re currently using forklifts to load dead bodies into semi trailers in NYC.
I think the wise choice would be to error on the side of caution.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had to go to the grocery store tonight; everyone was doing a solid job of gapping each other and not meeting each other in aisles.......except one guy. He would stand and hover by you and then stood right in front of the produce yacking on his phone. Made sure to get wrapped vegetables when he finally moved over. There was kind of a process in the store too, a flow that everybody followed but this dude. He kept zig zagging back and forth.

Also, you can now stop hoarding the TP, yeast, flour, eggs, and other basic essentials. It’s getting old.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Had to go to the grocery store tonight; everyone was doing a solid job of gapping each other and not meeting each other in aisles.......except one guy. He would stand and hover by you and then stood right in front of the produce yacking on his phone. Made sure to get wrapped vegetables when he finally moved over. There was kind of a process in the store too, a flow that everybody followed but this dude. He kept zig zagging back and forth.

Also, you can now stop hoarding the TP, yeast, flour, eggs, and other basic essentials. It’s getting old.
Trying the curbside pickup from Hyvee Friday to avoid idiots like that. Never done it before

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I used 1.5 rolls in two weeks.

1.5 rolls.

Reactions: Scott34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron