Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Tell me how many of the deaths in Iowa have occurred because of the current measures in place. Would you say people being exposed and recovering and developing 90%+ immunity right now is a good thing or bad thing?
Again, I'm not talking about the current deaths. This is about the future deaths that will happen. And herd immunity was tried in other places around the world and really isn't working as well as they thought.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Almost all of the people wanting more measures taken want to take the next step of shutting down non essential businesses, not shutting everyone inside. I don’t want that either.

WA State is a stay at home state - or shelter in place - or whatever but it's the same thing. Stay at home, work from home if possible, limit outside exposures and just go out for "essentials". In WA state the weed stores were deemed essential.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't know the right answers to what should and shouldn't be done. I know I am only leaving the house for groceries once a week and that's it beside going for walks or runs. Pretty much everyone I know is doing the same. It's anecdotal, but I believe most people are doing what needs to be done and we will flatten the curve as much as possible. It's going to be a rough ride no matter what.
From what I've been reading on here, most of the people on here that don't want more extreme measures taken are those already working from home and don't have that added factor of risk. Those who are arguing for more extreme measures seem to be currently more at risk because they have to continue to work at a non-essential business.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
WA State is a stay at home state - or shelter in place - or whatever but it's the same thing. Stay at home, work from home if possible, limit outside exposures and just go out for "essentials". In WA state the weed stores were deemed essential.
Yeah I mean liquor stores have been deemed essential in plenty of states too, which I would have to agree with during these dire times.

Reactions: baller21

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
You think stuff like this helps your argument and it only makes you sound more ridiculous. You have to argue against things nobody is saying because it's the only way your arguments make sense.
You’re the one guaranteeing SIP would save lives compared to what we’re doing. Show me the supporting data.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My frustration is that is what a shelter in place is. If you are arguing for a shelter in place you are arguing for locking people inside. If you want to argue for shutting down non essential businesses then do so but that isn’t a shelter in place.

You want a definition when there are hundreds of definitions for the same term across every municipality that has issued shelter in place.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Your first paragraph is incorrect. All the models you look at, whether doing nothing, social distancing, or more stringent measures, involve the exact same number of infections. By extrapolation, you end up at the same number of deaths assuming consistency of care.

If I never catch the virus, I will not die from it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You’re the one guaranteeing SIP would save lives compared to what we’re doing. Show me the supporting data.
There are social distancing grades for each state.. Want to know the states that have poor grades? Mostly those that don't have SIP or some similar measure in place. Want to know what states have great grades? Those that have SIP or something similar in place. Social distancing saves lives, and right now we suck at it. If you don't think more measures could help with that, then you're going against that data.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Current data shows 90%. That is relying mostly on information from China unfortunately.

That's what I mean..I've seen nothing elsewhere I don't think. I'll be curious as to when they find out about here along with knowing that if you DO get it again, how intense the symptoms are.

I would think that would be a major step forward. More of a game changer than just increasing tests, really.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
There are social distancing grades for each state.. Want to know the states that have poor grades? Mostly those that don't have SIP or some similar measure in place. Want to know what states have great grades? Those that have SIP or something similar in place. Social distancing saves lives, and right now we suck at it. If you don't think more measures could help with that, then you're going against that data.
Seriously? You’re worried about ******* grades?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
You’re buying in to the fallacy that “flattening the curve” equates with saving lives. It doesn’t, assuming hospitals don’t reach the point of being overrun.
Isn't that literally the point of flattening the curve?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Isn't that literally the point of flattening the curve?

Yeah I thought one aspect of flattening it meant better care for those admitted, and less chances of deaths piling up due to lack of care, i.e. if someone's waiting too long for a ventilator.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

From the reports that I read. They track cell phones for how well they are following shelter in place. Might explain why rural areas are worse. They have to travel 10-20 miles to get groceries. A lot of animal agriculture in Iowa. Feed trucks and delivery trucks racking up miles. Getting ready for planting puts miles on. It’s a very prejudiced set of data favoring states with larger towns.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I went to the grocery store this afternoon. Fairly busy, but it appeared there were lots of HyVee shoppers. Lots of parents with their kids. Then I decided to be an old person and went for a bit of a drive. The golf course next to 235 had people out there.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yeah I mean liquor stores have been deemed essential in plenty of states too, which I would have to agree with during these dire times.

There are lots of "edibles" in our local shops but you can't buy it with food stamps. Plus it just makes you more hungry for some reason.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I'm not guaranteeing anything. I'm relying on the recommendations of experts. You, on the other hand, are flailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron