Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
My frustration is that is what a shelter in place is. If you are arguing for a shelter in place you are arguing for locking people inside. If you want to argue for shutting down non essential businesses then do so but that isn’t a shelter in place.
That's not what a shelter in place is. It means something totally different. Every state declaring "shelter in place" then has to go and define what that means because they are using the term in a way it was never intended.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's not what a shelter in place is. It means something totally different. Every state declaring "shelter in place" then has to go and define what that means because they are using the term in a way it was never intended.
Wasn’t shelter in place a term used during the Cold War?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

For sure there is a terminology problem, but Iowa's problem is not simply one of terminology.

I'd read somewhere (I'll never find it so I won't bother) that they want to get away from the term "shelter in place" because that's meant for school shooting-type situations with a more urgent/immediate need. But for better or worse it's taken hold during coronavirus.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I think it was duck and cover.
ExaltedGreedyEnglishsetter.webp

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Taking it seriously and handling it competently are two different things. Nobody doubts she is doing the former but the latter is wobbly at best.

As for her metrics, we do now actually know what her metrics are...and they're not great. Nobody knows when the tipping point is but it's almost immaterial because most of the metrics are based on data that is inherently flawed and lagging in nature.

For the record, I think she needs to implement a stay-at-home order.

In her presser today the metrics were brought up and she said something along the lines of "we're close" on some of the metrics. What does that mean? Will it be too late if we wait to hit certain metrics? Those are the questions arising.

What's more disheartening is I'm seeing this turn into a political "take sides" debate, which is the worst thing possible for a situation like this.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yes, and it means exactly as it sounds. In an emergency situation find the closest safe spot and don't move until the all clear is given. That is not what anyone is going to propose. Even in the hardest hit areas they are not literally locking people in their homes and they never will. People have to get essentials and I guarantee the government is not going to provide it to everyone. And of course every state is going to have a little different take on what is and isn't essential. What staff are and are not essential. So the term is pointless in this situation because every state is going to detail how they handle that differently and if they are going to even really try and enforce anything. Our state has mandated certain things be shut down and is recommending everyone stay home as much as possible. That could be described as a sort of shelter in place order. So in the end it comes down to people just wanting her to say some words that really have no real meaning.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I don't have all the answers. That's what policy people are for. And sure enough, the medical experts and economists agree that measures like these are the best way to save additional lives and get everyone else's life back to normal as quickly as possible. I spent weeks wondering what Kim Reynolds knew that these people and her fellow governors did not, and now we know the answer to that question is: nothing.

The onus is not on me to prove that measures that virtually every expert and policy maker advocates for are the correct ones. The onus is on Reynolds, and you should you choose to defend her, to prove they are not.
I guess at this point I can only admit that I’d like to live in your utopian world where everything is black and white, no decision has any repercussions, we can see into the future, and diseases are cured by rainbows and unicorns.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
For the record, I think she needs to implement a stay-at-home order.

In her presser today the metrics were brought up and she said something along the lines of "we're close" on some of the metrics. What does that mean? Will it be too late if we wait to hit certain metrics? Those are the questions arising.

What's more disheartening is I'm seeing this turn into a political "take sides" debate, which is the worst thing possible for a situation like this.
Because it is political.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yes, and it means exactly as it sounds. In an emergency situation find the closest safe spot and don't move until the all clear is given. That is not what anyone is going to propose. Even in the hardest hit areas they are not literally locking people in their homes and they never will. People have to get essentials and I guarantee the government is not going to provide it to everyone. And of course every state is going to have a little different take on what is and isn't essential. What staff are and are not essential. So the term is pointless in this situation because every state is going to detail how they handle that differently and if they are going to even really try and enforce anything. Our state has mandated certain things be shut down and is recommending everyone stay home as much as possible. That could be described as a sort of shelter in place order. So in the end it comes down to people just wanting her to say some words that really have no real meaning.
Yeah that's quite fascinating.. And our situation is much different than those back then obviously. And I mentioned this above, but I could care less what she calls it. She can make up her own phrasing for all I care.. From what I've read, this extensive measure is one of the ways to flatten the curve the best. The quicker we do that, the quicker we get back to normalcy, the spread stops, lives are saved, etc.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I guess at this point I can only admit that I’d like to live in your utopian world where everything is black and white, no decision has any repercussions, we can see into the future, and diseases are cured by rainbows and unicorns.
Or we could be in the 6% of states not doing the most to help stop / prevent the spread of this virus and say we're all going to be okay in the end.. oh wait, that's what we're doing.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Yeah that's quite fascinating.. And our situation is much different than those back then obviously. And I mentioned this above, but I could care less what she calls it. She can make up her own phrasing for all I care.. From what I've read, this extensive measure is one of the ways to flatten the curve the best. The quicker we do that, the quicker we get back to normalcy, the spread stops, lives are saved, etc.
You’re buying in to the fallacy that “flattening the curve” equates with saving lives. It doesn’t, assuming hospitals don’t reach the point of being overrun.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know the right answers to what should and shouldn't be done. I know I am only leaving the house for groceries once a week and that's it beside going for walks or runs. Pretty much everyone I know is doing the same. It's anecdotal, but I believe most people are doing what needs to be done and we will flatten the curve as much as possible. It's going to be a rough ride no matter what.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
You’re buying in to the fallacy that “flattening the curve” equates with saving lives. It doesn’t, assuming hospitals don’t reach the point of being overrun.

I disagree. While the purpose of flattening the curve is to minimize the burden on the healthcare system, the recommendations will also result in less people being exposed to the virus.

While this is highly infectious, 100% of the population is not going to contract it. The fewer people who do, the fewer people who get sick, and the fewer people who die.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Or we could be in the 6% of states not doing the most to help stop / prevent the spread of this virus and say we're all going to be okay in the end.. oh wait, that's what we're doing.
Tell me how many of the deaths in Iowa have occurred because of the current measures in place. Would you say people being exposed and recovering and developing 90%+ immunity right now is a good thing or bad thing?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Flattening the curve means not overrunning hospitals. If that happens, more deaths happen. You put extreme measures into place to not have that happen. If you wait until after hospitals are overrun you then you've defeated the entire purpose of all of this.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Tell me how many of the deaths in Iowa have occurred because of the current measures in place. Would you say people being exposed and recovering and developing 90%+ immunity right now is a good thing or bad thing?

Do we know yet that immunity is a thing for sure? From what I've seen it's still in question.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I disagree. While the purpose of flattening the curve is to minimize the burden on the healthcare system, the recommendations will also result in less people being exposed to the virus.

While this is highly infectious, 100% of the population is not going to contract it. The fewer people who do, the fewer people who get sick, and the fewer people who die.
Your first paragraph is incorrect. All the models you look at, whether doing nothing, social distancing, or more stringent measures, involve the exact same number of infections. By extrapolation, you end up at the same number of deaths assuming consistency of care.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

You think stuff like this helps your argument and it only makes you sound more ridiculous. You have to argue against things nobody is saying because it's the only way your arguments make sense.

Reactions: SpokaneCY
Status
Not open for further replies.