Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It looks like ratio of positive tests is staying between 6-7%.

Our increases are likely due to increased testing. The more we test, the more we learn the extent of the spread.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
There are employers that are still hesitant let employees work from home. A more explicit order might change that.

So those exact same employers can just call themselves 'essential' and change nothing? Unfortunately, if an employer hasn't gotten the message at this point, they aren't going to get it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm a little bit concerned about the fact that Linn County now surpassed Polk and Johnson for most confirmed cases.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Of course we made it worse.

So if that is the case, then we are still at least 2 to 3 weeks away from seeing cases drop. Trump has expanded the shelter in place orders till the end of April.

Getting the sense that kids and I are not going back to school this calendar school year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So those exact same employers can just call themselves 'essential' and change nothing? Unfortunately, if an employer hasn't gotten the message at this point, they aren't going to get it.

maybe. But there are a few posters on here that say they could easily telework but their bosses are old school and won’t allow it. A more formal order might change that.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Actually I know from personal experience that if there was a shelter in place mandate, the company I work for would work from home for the time being. Our employer stated they will not do that until that mandate is put in place.

I can't imagine we're the only business doing the same thing. There are almost 30 states now that are issuing a shelter in place either for the entire state, or for specific areas within the state. There are reasons they are doing and there are obvious areas within our state that probably need to do the same however our Governor made it apparent our mayors cannot make those decisions.

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Actually I know from personal experience that if there was a shelter in place mandate, the company I work for would work from home for the time being. Our employer stated they will not do that until that mandate is put in place.

I can't imagine we're the only business doing the same thing. There are almost 30 states now that are issuing a shelter in place either for the entire state, or for specific areas within the state. There are reasons they are doing and there are obvious areas within our state that probably need to do the same however our Governor made it apparent our mayors cannot make those decisions.

My boss will only allow us to work from home when the official "shelter-in-place" order is given.

Other than that, we're continuing to come into the office.

Granted, there are only 8 of us in this office.

Call in to people and “whistleblow” to get a targeted order forcing your company to work from home. I don’t think we will get and don’t think we should get a shelter in place order but we should get companies to allow WFH.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
So if that is the case, then we are still at least 2 to 3 weeks away from seeing cases drop. Trump has expanded the shelter in place orders till the end of April.

Getting the sense that kids and I are not going back to school this calendar school year.

It should be clarified that Trump has NOT implemented a shelter in place, he has implemented social distancing.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
My boss will only allow us to work from home when the official "shelter-in-place" order is given.

Other than that, we're continuing to come into the office.

Granted, there are only 8 of us in this office.
Same thing here, with about double the number of people.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Call in to people and “whistleblow” to get a targeted order forcing your company to work from home. I don’t think we will get and don’t think we should get a shelter in place order but we should get companies to allow WFH.
Are you currently working from home?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Cant believe this is still a question at this point.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
There shouldn't need to be an official shelter in place at a time like this but there are too many self centered morons out there. Some people just can't seem to do the right thing unless its forced on them.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
If I had a job that could be done from home and an employer that refused to allow it right now without a government order, I would be looking for a new job.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yes most of the time. We still have a few things we have to be in the office to do but we are trying to maximize time out of the office.
Exactly. That's what I wish our business was doing but we still haven't and won't unless there is some sort of change. I don't mean to be a jerk, but it doesn't seem that fair that you are saying we shouldn't enforce more strict measures while you're primarily working from home. If you were driving to work every single day and in an office filled with numerous amounts of people, you'd probably feel a little bit differently.

On the opposite side, I too would probably see no need to extend measures if I were primarily working out of my own home and didn't have as much of a risk to catch the virus either.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If I had a job that could be done from home and an employer that refused to allow it right now without a government order, I would be looking for a new job.
It's probably not the best time to be quitting / looking for a job.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Not the best time to be job searching is it?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If you look at the spread of the virus data from other counters, we should be hitting the peak of the virus this week, but I wonder if the slow response and down playing of the severity of the virus by the WH, has not spread that timeline out longer.

By downplaying the severity of the virus here in the US, and waiting to ramp up stopping it, we might have just made it worse.

A lot depends on how you define peak. Again, the dependence on cases vs. testing makes it tough, but if you look at percent increase in confirmed cases I think from Thurs.-Fri. that was the high at about 32% if I remember correctly. Sunday was 26%. Obviously there is tons of noise considering limited testing, but in my opinion between that number, the high percent of negative tests, the rate of new hospitalizations and deaths, I think we are doing OK in Iowa in slowing spread. We really need some of these dumbass employers that are not letting people WFH when they could be to get their **** together. Hopefully people see what is happening in places like NYC and don't brush it off because we don't have the population density. While that is of course true we also have an older population and areas with limited ICU capacity.

I still think we are going to be maxing out number of ventilators here in Iowa, certainly in some areas. More than that I think we'll run into ambulance capacity problems getting people from rural areas to hospitals that can adequately care for critical patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron