Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
@BCClone : The latest in the travails of the online transition (which really means that I want to whine):

Before the virus outbreak was known to be affecting anything, I made a deal with students to move an exam to 3/30. That way, it wouldn't be the week they returned from break.
So we're running with that schedule, but I still can't upload the lecture they were supposed to see on Wednesday. Internet blinked just long enough to kill the latest upload.
With that, we're returning to our original schedule for content, with the exam open all week long. Then I'll record an introduction to Part III of the course, record the lecture that's scheduled for Wednesday, and hope that the adapter I ordered solves this whole problem. If so, I'll binge upload on Wednesday, and it's all good.

If not, then I need to rejigger everything into 3-5 minute videos from me mixed with relevant YouTube links and primary sources.

Dang, this is not the smoothest change.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
@BCClone : The latest in the travails of the online transition (which really means that I want to whine):

Before the virus outbreak was known to be affecting anything, I made a deal with students to move an exam to 3/30. That way, it wouldn't be the week they returned from break.
So we're running with that schedule, but I still can't upload the lecture they were supposed to see on Wednesday. Internet blinked just long enough to kill the latest upload.
With that, we're returning to our original schedule for content, with the exam open all week long. Then I'll record an introduction to Part III of the course, record the lecture that's scheduled for Wednesday, and hope that the adapter I ordered solves this whole problem. If so, I'll binge upload on Wednesday, and it's all good.

If not, then I need to rejigger everything into 3-5 minute videos from me mixed with relevant YouTube links and primary sources.

Dang, this is not the smoothest change.

No problem. I know the boy is nervous. He told me he was As and Bs going into spring break but is nervous about the rest. Just a clumsy switch due to the timing. Hopefully it all gets better and everyone learns from it. I found my old money and banking test that I gave last night and my notes. That part of my life is definitely over.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
No problem. I know the boy is nervous. He told me he was As and Bs going into spring break but is nervous about the rest. Just a clumsy switch due to the timing. Hopefully it all gets better and everyone learns from it. I found my old money and banking test that I gave last night and my notes. That part of my life is definitely over.

Yeah, I think we're all nervous.
I expect that most will show some grace and mercy and be reasonable about it. I know we're being encouraged that way, although that will really only matter for people who would be that way anyway.
Some feel that it's time to ramp up their standards. I've already had a chat and e-mail exchange with my T.A. about that very thing, emphasizing that we're not doing that. We'll see what actually happens, of course.

Reactions: BCClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
source.gif

Reactions: SaraV and cycloneG

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yeah, I think we're all nervous.
I expect that most will show some grace and mercy and be reasonable about it. I know we're being encouraged that way, although that will really only matter for people who would be that way anyway.
Some feel that it's time to ramp up their standards. I've already had a chat and e-mail exchange with my T.A. about that very thing, emphasizing that we're not doing that. We'll see what actually happens, of course.

I feel like I'm missing something because isn't the TA supposed to be your peon? They don't seem to act like it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I feel like I'm missing something because isn't the TA supposed to be your peon? They don't seem to act like it.

Yup. He knows bestest, even though he doesn't. (and that's just from stuff I know. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more that I haven't seen, because trends)

Next barrier to overcome:
1. Laptop doesn't recognize USB connection to phone, so moving videos to the laptop may be a no-go.
2. Desktop might work. Then I'm still good, even with a bit of a run-around.
3. Chromebooks, with a few expensive exceptions, are sold out nearly everywhere. Did parents race after those when schools shut down or something?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did you separate the flat and the point first?
Pretty much what I did. This one was odd. It was longer than the past. I figured it would not be ready for supper putting on at 8:30-8:45. Usually Sunday supper is like 4:30-5:00 since we basically brunch and supper that day. This way I can pull the flat for supper and let the point go however long it takes. The wind is really fighting getting the temp up though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yup. He knows bestest, even though he doesn't. (and that's just from stuff I know. I'm pretty sure there's a lot more that I haven't seen, because trends)

Next barrier to overcome:
1. Laptop doesn't recognize USB connection to phone, so moving videos to the laptop may be a no-go.
2. Desktop might work. Then I'm still good, even with a bit of a run-around.
3. Chromebooks, with a few expensive exceptions, are sold out nearly everywhere. Did parents race after those when schools shut down or something?

If we were closer I’d borrow one of our chrome books to you. Our HS sells their old ones (they keep changing their minds on things so they are usually about 2 years old) and I bought one for my mom to watch video streamed games of my kids and to have a spare laying around. Like 30-50 bucks.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
If we were closer I’d borrow one of our chrome books to you. Our HS sells their old ones (they keep changing their minds on things so they are usually about 2 years old) and I bought one for my mom to watch video streamed games of my kids and to have a spare laying around. Like 30-50 bucks.

Thanks! We'll start apartment shopping!
Sigh, that might be the easiest solution.

Laptop didn't connect. Desktop did, after some working around. Copied the video very quickly, then a blunt "can't upload" and quit.

So the next options for capturing the recording, since I have the adapters coming to hardwire to our Internet connection, but can't move videos anywhere:
1. Upgraded cable for phone to computer connection
2. Chromebook. Record on there. Upload to YouTube and Google Photos, then delete right away.

There has to be something I'm missing. It shouldn't be this difficult, unless this is just the price of having poor equipment.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Laptop didn't connect. Desktop did, after some working around. Copied the video very quickly, then a blunt "can't upload" and quit.

So the next options for capturing the recording, since I have the adapters coming to hardwire to our Internet connection, but can't move videos anywhere:
2. Chromebook. Record on there. Upload to YouTube and Google Photos, then delete right away.

There has to be something I'm missing. It shouldn't be this difficult, unless this is just the price of having poor equipment.

If you would have let me know, I would have rented my mom's house to you for a few months before we closed on the 13th.

Technology changes so fast you never can tell. I always feel a little embarrassed about technology now and 15-20 years ago I was trained well enough (what a college told me) that I could code for places like Kingland systems. I struggle with my phone once in awhile now.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Has your department offered you any support or advice? I understand you're not tenured faculty, but it sure seems like it would be in the best interests of the department to make sure its students have access to the lessons...without expecting YOU to go broke trying to serve your students.
Just spitballing...

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Speaking of bread, does anyone have a good recipe for English muffin bread? I tried one three different times and ended up with a flat dense loaf each time. Different brands of yeast and not expired. Made no difference.
After reading this I decided to try the Fleischmanns' English Muffin bread recipe. I didn't have any rapid rise yeast so I just used regular active. I figure I'll just let it rise till it doubles and then cook it. I'll let you know how it comes out in an hour or so

https://www.breadworld.com/recipe/English-Muffin-Bread

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
After reading this I decided to try the Fleischmanns' English Muffin bread recipe. I didn't have any rapid rise yeast so I just used regular active. I figure I'll just let it rise till it doubles and then cook it. I'll let you know how it comes out in an hour or so

https://www.breadworld.com/recipe/English-Muffin-Bread

All I have is rapid rise, because I got the last jar at the grocery store (even went out of town to get it, it was a run in and grab, pay and run out). Run out the best I could since I got stuck behind a guy who decided that scratch tickets were vital to his day, but couldn't decide which ones.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Has your department offered you any support or advice? I understand you're not tenured faculty, but it sure seems like it would be in the best interests of the department to make sure its students have access to the lessons...without expecting YOU to go broke trying to serve your students.
Just spitballing...
Or directly to IT or CELT? Or maybe mention this to Wendy during her town hall mtg tomorrow morning.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Personally, I wish they would say that they are giving the option of taking your grades as of this last monday. My son would grab those in a heartbeat. He said the only one that he isn't happy with is his religion class. First section was over Hinduism and Buddhism. He feels comfortable with the rest, but those were ones he never really had any background in. Non comprehensive tests so he feels the next two chunks will raise his grade.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Just spitballing...

I don't even ask. My contract ends on May 15th no matter what, so I can't even imagine they could get anyone to approve funding for the tempiest of temps.

A friend had a dream list of stuff for me on Facebook. I noted my temp status. None of my prof friends disagreed, and usually one would have suggested to ask.

When you're an adjunct, it's always on you.That's what I've learned over the last couple years.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Or directly to IT or CELT? Or maybe mention this to Wendy during her town hall mtg tomorrow morning.

Since it's Z and I tomorrow morning, I doubt that I make the town hall meeting.
As for IT or CELT, they can only troubleshoot what I already know.

Canvas help has been spectacular. I had a long chat with someone Friday night and solved a bunch of issues.
I think the major issue is that my equipment is lacking and I'm not someone they're going to invest in. Maybe early into a full-year contract, maybe, but not this late in a one-term deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.