Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Stay calm and hold on to your Right Bower!

Edit: I grew up in Northeast Iowa, the descendant (on Mom's side) of Norwegian immigrants (and Vikings too, I spose). I know Euchre! I'm not saying it originated in Norway, but we learned Euchre as kids from Grandma and Grandpa Johnson (Gertrude and Alvie).

Are you kidding??!!??? Norwegians don't play cards, for crying out loud! That's almost like dancing or copulation! You go wash your mouth out with soap RIGHT NOW!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
On the drive to work I see what appears to be a dryer in the ditch. Been there a bit. How do you lose a dryer while driving?
Most likely thrown off the back to get rid of it. You should see the junk people leave at the recycle places here in town. Mattresses, tires, broken furniture and assorted garbage.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Growing up, I played so much Euchre. It's been awhile though-- haven't played since moving out of Iowa.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Most likely thrown off the back to get rid of it. You should see the junk people leave at the recycle places here in town. Mattresses, tires, broken furniture and assorted garbage.

I joked with the son that we should have loaded up my moms old TVs and our old coach and chucked them into the ISU garbage dumpster. Not much in there and nobody was there when we were it would have been an 80 dollar savings.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
On the drive to work I see what appears to be a dryer in the ditch. Been there a bit. How do you lose a dryer while driving?
You don't.
You are a "city person" who chooses to dump it in a ditch rather than pay the disposal fees. That way, it's no longer your problem.

Generic "you", of course.

And yes...it pisses me off!!!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The Google has sorta replaced my 1968 Better Homes vintage checkerboard notebook.

Can I have it? J/K. I think I already have two of those. I really like buying the ones that come with recipes clipped from local newspapers or personal recipe cards. I marvel at what it took to actually run a household back in the day.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Can I have it? J/K. I think I already have two of those. I really like buying the ones that come with recipes clipped from local newspapers or personal recipe cards. I marvel at what it took to actually run a household back in the day.
After seeing your cookbook shelf I have a question for you. I don't know the pub date, but my book was a wedding gift in 1976. It is CLEARLY well loved...and well used! ;) One small problem - I am missing two pages from the cookie section - pages 117/118 and 119/120. Below are pictures of the surrounding pages. If you have an edition with the same pages 116 & 121, would you please please please take pictures for me of the pages I am missing? Thank you!!!
cookbook 3.jpg cookbook 2.jpg cookbook1.jpg

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
You don't.
You are a "city person" who chooses to dump it in a ditch rather than pay the disposal fees. That way, it's no longer your problem.

Generic "you", of course.

And yes...it pisses me off!!!

It's just because they can't take the 'rural' person way of either a) burn it, b) bury it, or c) let it rot out behind some shed or d) dump it in somebody else's ditch.;)

The road down to my jobsite here in Houston is a prime dump site. For a while we were seeing a lot of toilets along the side of the road. Then it was mattresses (mattressi?). Still a couple of used couches that are available up along the railroad tracks. How I don't love Houston.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
After seeing your cookbook shelf I have a question for you. I don't know the pub date, but my book was a wedding gift in 1976. It is CLEARLY well loved...and well used! ;) One small problem - I am missing two pages from the cookie section - pages 117/118 and 119/120. Below are pictures of the surrounding pages. If you have an edition with the same pages 116 & 121, would you please please please take pictures for me of the pages I am missing? Thank you!!!
View attachment 70853 View attachment 70854 View attachment 70855
I have a 1976 (honestly, I don't have that many;)
However, the pages are numbered differently. I will take pictures of the first few pages of the cookie section and you can keep or delete. Can I do that via PM or do you want them here?

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I have a 1976 (honestly, I don't have that many;)
However, the pages are numbered differently. I will take pictures of the first few pages of the cookie section and you can keep or delete. Can I do that via PM or do you want them here?
Makes no difference. The problem is, the different years rearrange the cookie pages. I had a friend with 1976 era book and the recipes were ones that were on my other pages. That's why I was hoping you could match up pages from one of your books. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.