Social Distancing

Should Parents Let Their Kids Hang Out With Friends During This "Break"?

• Yes

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 125 66.1%
  • Maybe Just 1 Friend

Votes: 37 19.6%

• Total voters

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
We're letting them hang out with kids. That said, we live across the street from a park, so it'd be basically torturing them by keeping them inside when other kids are over there.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
We're letting them hang out with kids. That said, we live across the street from a park, so it'd be basically torturing them by keeping them inside when other kids are over there.
My youngest is 12. I did say they could go hang out outside, but that hasn't happened yet.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I let mine hang out. If we had older family members with us, it would be different, but nobody in our house is among the risky age groups for this virus.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think the "less than 10" rule is a pretty safe one to follow.

I'd let them interact, but I would be paying close attention to how many other kids are involved. If it's just a few getting together, no big deal. If it's birthday party sized, I'd maybe pull it back.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm fine with my kids being around other kids so long as we know their parents. I think I have a pretty good sense of who is being smart about this, and so long as I think the parents have been cautious with who their kids are around it doesn't bother me.

They are kids. They need the social interaction.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
No and most of his friends have the same rules. At least for now the weather has sucked so it’s not really an issue, maybe when it warms up we’ll reconsider. They’re playing together online basically 24/7 anyways.

• Agree
Reactions: DreamyCy and Angie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
No and most of his friends have the same rules. At least for now the weather has sucked so it’s not really an issue, maybe when it warms up we’ll reconsider. They’re playing together online basically 24/7 anyways.

This is a true point. Kids are bred for this moment.

Even before this got crazy, my nephew was at our house. Kid literally brought his own Playstation, plugged in to one of the TVs, and two of my kids and him played Fortnite against each other from separate rooms within the same house communicating through headsets. Truly ahead of their time.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and HFCS

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I let them hang out but in smaller groups (usually do anyhow) and pay attention to who has older loved ones that may be around.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm not really concerned about my kids getting it, the symptoms seem to be less severe for children, although it is still a concern. My main thing is just not wanting to be a part of the problem if we don't have to be, potentially spreading something from one household to another and then to who knows where.

It's not a big deal for them to be home for awhile, they're both exceptional students, my 13 year old is in constant contact with his friends anyways. They're not going to wither and die because they couldn't hang out in person with their friends for a little while.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
If you're in a known "hot spot" then I'd say no, but if you're in a place like Iowa with very few known cases then I wouldn't make a big fuss about it.

I should add that I don't take my kids to the grocery store or anything unnecessary. But they've been getting outside and engaging with the neighbors a little bit.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I have chosen to keep my kids on lock down while they are out of school. Am I being unreasonable?

We decided we're going to go two weeks without contact with anyone outside the family (still going out for walks/runs), but then after that we'll reassess. The biggest thing is we can't control where other people have been but we can control ourselves.

I'd rather look back and say "man that was overboard" than accidentally have the virus undetected and pass it on.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
If you're in a known "hot spot" then I'd say no, but if you're in a place like Iowa with very few known cases then I wouldn't make a big fuss about it.
But the cases have doubled in 2 days. If it continues to do that, we will be a hot spot quickly. Again, I don't want to overreact, but I want to be socially responsible too. It seems to be taking off fast. Many experts are saying stay home if possible.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
But the cases have doubled in 2 days. If it continues to do that, we will be a hot spot quickly. Again, I don't want to overreact, but I want to be socially responsible too. It seems to be taking off fast. Many experts are saying stay home if possible.
Not to get terribly off topic, but the cases aren't necessarily new, they're just being confirmed. At any rate, it's 2020. Being stuck inside isn't really that big of a deal anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I voted yes, but it does depend on the whether the children are healthy and whether the kids are living with a family member who is also susceptible to grave illness as a result of COVID-19.

twa5786

Feb 21, 2007
USA
Forgive me for being direct, but if you answered “yes” to this question, you have clearly missed the point so far. This thing is about to explode, and I don’t care where you are, what your age is, or how many “confirmed” cases there are in your area. Plus, there are a lot of 20-44 year olds being hospitalized, so no adult is completely safe from its effects.

My wife works at a large hospital locally and they are hosting daily doomsday calls. This pandemic is no joke. Practice true social distancing for a few weeks or more, or risk being forced to for several months, or worse.

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
My husband is a doctor, and this is the first time in our lives together I've seen him truly scared, with constant anxiety. Just last night he was saying "I didn't sign up to go to war, but it's what it feels like right now." He's really scared that they are going to run out of PPE, personal protective equipment. This article was just in the NY Times today about a 40-something attorney currently in the ICU in Louisiana, fighting for his life, with Covid-19: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/us/politics/coronavirus-heaven-frilot-mark-frilot.html.

Keep your ******* kids at home. It's not good enough if you let them play with the neighbors in a park. If those kids have played with other kids, and then they play with yours, you're forming a chain that can result in dozens or even hundreds being infected. Here's a story about a single family that has lost their matriarch, and three of her children (all in their 40s and 50s) to the disease: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...rsey-family-kills-3-4-more-hospitals-n1163696. None of us are as young as we think we are. Keep your ******* kids at home.