Hy-Vee-What's up?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
It's no longer a grocery store, the new ones seem like they have less selection for groceries and more ******** like the bathbombs and clothing store. (South ankeny one). As others have said they expanded into other areas way to fast.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's no longer a grocery store, the new ones seem like they have less selection for groceries and more ******** like the bathbombs and clothing store. (South ankeny one). As others have said they expanded into other areas way to fast.

It makes me wonder what kind of research they do. Seems like they want to be an industry driver but they didn’t actually do any research with customers/consumers.

Also seems like they are way past just promoting up the ladder like they do so much of. It’s a great story when a bag boy eventually becomes a frozen foods manager but there’s a big lack of skills there because their only talent is being part of the machine and having experience in the machine.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
For the people mentioning "the lack of helpful smile in every isle" is this really a issue. When we go to the grocery store we know what we want/need and can find it relatively easy without assistance. In fact if we can manage to not see any employees in an isle that's a huge bonus.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Did you provide a helpful smile in every aisle?

tenor.gif

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
One thing to keep in mind, is that all that weird stuff they carry like bath bombs have very high profit margins. The actual food items (non frozen) you buy have very little profit margin. At least that was the case 20+ years ago. Hy-Vee profits come from those outside departments like non-food, produce, meat, bakery, deli, etc.

This may be totally off but I'm wondering if they are trying to actually get less people doing their Aisles program. When you use their Aisles program you are a lot less likely to buy things from those high profit areas.

I used t work for a supplier of HyVee and whent hey rolled out the Aisles on-line program our very first reaction was "that's a great way to get people to stop buying high margin impulse items." That was fact realized within a year of the program and they still pushed their chips all in on the fulfillment centers. So dumb!

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
One thing to keep in mind, is that all that weird stuff they carry like bath bombs have very high profit margins. The actual food items (non frozen) you buy have very little profit margin. At least that was the case 20+ years ago. Hy-Vee profits come from those outside departments like non-food, produce, meat, bakery, deli, etc.

This may be totally off but I'm wondering if they are trying to actually get less people doing their Aisles program. When you use their Aisles program you are a lot less likely to buy things from those high profit areas.

They are clearly emphasizing high-margin items at the expense of grocery selection. I hate everything about Walmart, but the Duff location might have a better grocery selection than the revamped East Hy-Vee. And since both are essentially self-check...

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Hyvee is still a way better grocery store than most and it is cheaper than some of the ones up here in the cities (Lund & Byerlys, Kowalskis, etc.)

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
And maybe I’m just an old man now, but I started working there at age 14 through high school, went back after the military as a college job and back then (not THAT long ago) it was a freaking grocery store that emphasized customer service over all else. Now try finding an employee in an aisle that knows where a specific item you’re looking for is. Try finding an empty and open check out lane. Try finding a shift manager that’s not more worried about their phone or chatting with other workers. In my day you’d get written up for not greeting a customer in the aisle. Now it’s not so much a grocery store as they want it to be a lifestyle thing. Dumb.
I worked at Hyvee in high school and remember being reprimanded by the front end manager on my first day because I didn’t say hello to a customer in passing. Fast forward ten years, I go into Hyvee and see kids, the same age I was when I worked there, grouped up standing around on their phones in the produce section talking crap about customers who they had to deal with earlier in their shift.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
For the people mentioning "the lack of helpful smile in every isle" is this really a issue. When we go to the grocery store we know what we want/need and can find it relatively easy without assistance. In fact if we can manage to not see any employees in an isle that's a huge bonus.
Yes, I’m right there with you. However, one bad customer service blunder can affect a customers decision to return. Main reason it’s effecting changed? Likely not, but there has been a downfall in customer service from them in the stores I’ve been in within the last decade.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
1 - It's hard to find anything but high school or college kids that will work in the afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Those helpful smiles largely went away when they could no longer bring in the necessary numbers of less young workers.

2 - They overplayed some of their cards; i.e. Market Grille.

3 - They tried to do too many things all in a 5-10 year period (Hy-Vee Gas, Market Grille, huge store changes, Fast & Fresh, etc).

But, let's not pretend they have some huge competition either and are at risk of going under. Fareway isn't going to take that many shoppers because there isn't the variety or volume of items, regardless of what Hy-Vee gets wrong.

If they were smart, they'd stop with the things like the bath bomb crap, simplify and change their eating options, double down on their core, and stick to just the grocery stores and gas stations. They'd likely get back to greatness pretty easily and quickly.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
1 - It's hard to find anything but high school or college kids that will work in the afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Those helpful smiles largely went away when they could no longer bring in the necessary numbers of less young workers.

3 - They tried to do too many things all in a 5-10 year period (Hy-Vee Gas, Market Grille, huge store changes, Fast & Fresh, etc).

But, let's not pretend they have some huge competition either and are at risk of going under. Fareway isn't going to take that many shoppers because there isn't the variety or volume of items, regardless of what Hy-Vee gets wrong.

If they were smart, they'd stop with the things like the bath bomb crap, simplify and change their eating options, double down on their core, and stick to just the grocery stores and gas stations. They'd likely get back to greatness pretty easily and quickly.

But do not touch the Hy Chi - that is a staple!!!

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I think it’s a departure from what made them successful. They built a loyal base and it’s cornerstone was customer service. I don’t need it every time I go, but when I do need it, I want it. I’ll sacrifice lower prices for a better experience, even at the grocery store, but remove that better experience and I’m headed to the no frills but lower prices of Fareway

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I've been curious about the profitability of their health food section. All of that stuff has pretty good markups, but you almost never see anyone there. If someone is looking for health food options, they're going to Whole Foods/TJs/Wheatsfield/whatever local option is dedicated to it.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone and JP4CY

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think it’s a departure from what made them successful. They built a loyal base and it’s cornerstone was customer service. I don’t need it every time I go, but when I do need it, I want it. I’ll sacrifice lower prices for a better experience, even at the grocery store, but remove that better experience and I’m headed to the no frills but lower prices of Fareway

Totally understand. I never go to Fareway because Sunday in our grocery day.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I went through the management training program where you have to spend months in each area of the store. Here is one thing I can tell you that may have changed:

When I started there was a defined path to management. From day one was a courtesy clerk, where everyone started, you were trained on the ways of hy-vee. The truth was that most of these kids that started out as courtesy clerks knew the routine because they shopped with their parents for the previous 15 years at hy-vee. This type of customer service was 100% mandatory. If you didn't do it the right way the Shift Manager would call you out. If the Shift Manager didn't call you out, the Assistant Manager would call out the Shift Manager. The Shift Manager was a key part of the whole process. They had to constantly be good at managing workload, managing people, and making sure the customer had a good experience. Back then, I could walk into a store and within a few minutes I could get a good idea of whether there was a good Shift Manager on duty. These shift managers are now called something else and from what I can see, most are doing a piss poor job.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
HyVee has definitely made some poor business decisions but come out to CBus sometime and hit up a Kroger or a Giant Eagle and you will be fapping to a picture of the Waukee HyVee on a Sunday afternoon because you miss it so much.

Giant Eagle's are actually kinda nice! Kroger's suck and I hate their existence.

Has Acme Fresh Market made it's way from North East Ohio yet? Those things.... 2nd favorite grocery store in the country. Publix by far is the best.

Reactions: Gunnerclone