This is why Prohm must go........

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Prohm is still a relatively young head coach who didn't spend a lot of time learning before he jumped up to a major conference. I think he still is trying to figure out roster management and the best way to put a team together year in and year out and that has resulted in the dips but they still have a chance this year to get maybe 3 more wins and finish 6th in the conference. It would be a down year because they didn't make the tournament but if they finish strong it will show he did a good coaching job down the stretch and that there is promise for the future.
I haven't looked around the league but it will be interesting to see what other teams lose.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to again point out he makes over $2 million a year. This isn't a "learn on the fly" kind of job, and he's not making "learn on the fly" kind of money. And if limping our way into 6th place in a year where the bottom of the Big 12 is historically bad is some kind of measure of success...well, that's not a good sign.

I'm all for being optimistic when there's reason for optimism, but I just can't see any way around the inevitability that this ship is sinking.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am neither. But I will allow it. ;)

source.gif

Reactions: RezClone

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I'd just like to take this opportunity to again point out he makes over $2 million a year. This isn't a "learn on the fly" kind of job, and he's not making "learn on the fly" kind of money. And if limping our way into 6th place in a year where the bottom of the Big 12 is historically bad is some kind of measure of success...well, that's not a good sign.

I'm all for being optimistic when there's reason for optimism, but I just can't see any way around the inevitability that this ship is sinking.

I understand. There are times when it is hard for me to be optimistic but I tend towards optimism. Things are certainly going to have to turn around for next year to be a tournament team but like I have said previously, who could have predicted (except homers) that Iowa would be as good as they are this year? Look how Huggins turned around WVU and there are many other examples.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I understand. There are times when it is hard for me to be optimistic but I tend towards optimism. Things are certainly going to have to turn around for next year to be a tournament team but like I have said previously, who could have predicted (except homers) that Iowa would be as good as they are this year? Look how Huggins turned around WVU and there are many other examples.

College basketball would make a nice RNG.

Only slightly exaggerating there -- look at how pitiful UNC is.

I am just here to ride it. Not like anything I can do is going to make us win and not like it is my call what happens to various players, staff, and coaches in Ames.

If you ride the rollercoaster, you have fun. If you fight it, it hurts.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You're not wrong. At the same time we made a top talent disgruntled enough to leave for the D league. it's a new era and good players are highly sought after and touchy. It's kind of the worst of both worlds when you can kind of out recruit your ability to manage touchy egos, then struggle to balance winning and keeping your horses happy and in the stable. I'm not saying it's right or a good thing. We just don't want them to leave unless it's for the draft or if we are just winning too much 100% of the time without them. That, or just recruit humble 2 stars and ride with effort and character. One or the other. You have to choose these days. McKay, Lard, Wiggington, maybe our 2 early transfers this year depends how they pan out. It's something to consider and keep an eye on.
FFS Wigginton was NEVER coming back for his junior year. The whole CSP chased him out the door argument is dumb and completely overblown.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
FFS Wigginton was NEVER coming back for his junior year. The whole CSP chased him out the door argument is dumb and completely overblown.
I wouldn't say he chased them out the door. He's a good guy and trying his best to do right by these kids and they refused to cooperate. I think you don't fully understand the extent to which one has to give them incentive to stay. Lard as well. It's more of a situation of basically baby them or don't bring them here to start with. It's not 2002. Handlers, AAU, social media, one-and-done culture, etc. Talent generally no longer responds to tough love because they don't have to. Something has to give. We can adjust by picking a side or we can lose with honor with occasional hype.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I’m glad you’re finding different ways to cope with your stress and anger of people having different opinions than you, rather than just attacking the individuals in a personal manner, like you typically do.
So he didn't attack anyone and you thought the appropriate thing to do was to attack him and try to pick a fight? Really?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was going to post this if no one else did. Wigginton was seriously considering jumping after his freshman year and he had made it very clear that he wanted to be the first NBA player from Nova Scotia so he was going to go if there was any chance. It would have taken a miracle for him to ever stay.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

That literally is what coaching is most of the time. You learn on the fly. You pick things from other coaches brains and from different levels of basketball. A coach is always learning new things and implementing them into their programs. Look no further than Fred Hoiberg. He had zero coaching experience before taking the job at Iowa State. No matter how brilliant he was, he certainly learned on the fly.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
JFC, it's WAY too early to even make assumptions about next year.

Agree, but the question is will Prohm nail the transfer market, or will he have to settle for a Jeff Beverly or Haans Brase type transfers.

His next good grad transfer will be his first. Would Bowie be his best one so far?

Both Shayok and Jacobson have had more of an impact than Bowie, and Shayok is by far the best transfer he's had

GRAD transfer....both of those guys were sit out guys.

Sometimes reading is hard, ok

Yes, sometimes reading is hard. Note awd4cy does not specify GRAD transfer, even though the 2 players he mentions were that specific type. A immediately eligible (impact) transfer would be ideal for next year, but how many of those are there? And we've seen that you don't have to be a grad transfer to be immediately eligible, which will only be more common as the Big 10 and ACC push toward one-time no sit-out transfers.

But the main reason I post this is that I tire of the snarkiness throughout the entire thread. Discuss, make a point, argue, no reason to be an a**.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Yes, sometimes reading is hard. Note awd4cy does not specify GRAD transfer, even though the 2 players he mentions were that specific type. A immediately eligible (impact) transfer would be ideal for next year, but how many of those are there? And we've seen that you don't have to be a grad transfer to be immediately eligible, which will only be more common as the Big 10 and ACC push toward one-time no sit-out transfers.

But the main reason I post this is that I tire of the snarkiness throughout the entire thread. Discuss, make a point, argue, no reason to be an a**.

I put blood, sweat, and tears into that post!

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

I apologize that I didn’t specify, but yes next year we need a home run on a couple of either grad or juco transfers. I apologize if I was being snarky.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That literally is what coaching is most of the time. You learn on the fly. You pick things from other coaches brains and from different levels of basketball. A coach is always learning new things and implementing them into their programs. Look no further than Fred Hoiberg. He had zero coaching experience before taking the job at Iowa State. No matter how brilliant he was, he certainly learned on the fly.

I understand your point, but I guess my point is it's a ruthless, big-money profession where you can't hide behind "hey, I'm learning how to do this better." Sure, everyone evolves and picks up new things along the way. But you can't use the "he's pretty new to this coaching stuff" excuse when a guy is 5 years in.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I apologize that I didn’t specify, but yes next year we need a home run on a couple of either grad or juco transfers. I apologize if I was being snarky.

I didn't mean you. At least not for that post. :)

Cyclone560

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2017

Just for a little perspective and comparision, I don't think the Big12 / bottom of the Big12 is "historically bad". It's just we are use to the Big12 being easily the best conference in basketball.

This year is down, but the Big12 is still the #2 rated conference on KenPom. Problem is we are used to it being the #1 rated conference for the previous six years

Even the bottom isn't that bad. All big12 teams are top100 in KenPom. Every other conference has Sub100 teams besides the Big East this year. It just seems really down because there are 5 teams in the 50-100 range when we are used to the conference having as many as 8 or 9 in the top50.

Big12 is bad in the context of its own history, but from a national landscape its still a top conference, so finishing as high as 6th, while obviously still disappointing, I don't think it should necessarily be treated as nothing if that makes sense.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
:) To say the least. Wigginton saw his career flashing before his eyes. If had spent 15 more minutes with Prohm he would have been the 2nd guy off the bench back at Oak Hill next season.

Or if he's spent 15 more minutes unlearning his "me first" attitude, he might have become a better baller. A coach can teach, but can't make them all listen.

Prohm's track record of putting PG's in the League pretty much speaks for itself, IMO.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines

What perceivable thing has Prohm learned? Or, what has he done to shake up his staff to get guys in to fill in for his deficiencies? I hope to find out next year with a new-ish roster (and hopefully a new assistant that coaches defense/boxing out) but I don't see any identity or improvements he's made thus far. He's trotting out the same stuff with every team he has. He seems far more obstinate than Fred - repeatedly evidenced by apologizing in post-game interviews for things he should've done differently...and then allowing the same issues to manifest in the next game/rest of the season. Evidenced by trying to force this undertalented, poor-shooting roster to play the way teams of yore did. Evidenced by repeatedly getting whipped after halftime.

The lineup changes this year were made only after he was absolutely forced to. The transfer recruiting has mostly been miss. The high school recruiting has mostly been miss. Why pay a guy what Iowa State does with all of these deficiencies, just because he has to "learn on the fly"?

It's really not so hard as the apologists are making it. Sometimes when a thing smells and looks like a thing, it is that thing. In Prohm's case, that thing is "not a high-level D-1 coach".

• Winner
Reactions: Cyfanisu and Messi