Is Lewis injured because

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I couldn't disagree with this anymore. At some point in the recuriting process Prohm looked Terrence's parents in the eyes and told them that he would help him grow on and off the court. I assume Prohm is doing just that.

Then help him grow somewhere else. If you have a bad employee, you fire him. Some people that's the only way they will get the point.

It also gets the attention of all your other employees (players).

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Then help him grow somewhere else. If you have a bad employee, you fire him. Some people that's the only way they will get the point.

I don't think sending a kid packing, who's from inner city Milwaukee, would be the best thing to do. He's getting a college education for free and I'm sure kicking him off the team would probably be the worst thing he could do as a head coach and a person.

• Creative
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Something of substance but I know that's asking a lot of Steve.
Matt Campbell isn't the most transparent coach either, yet I rarely see people hammering him about that. Coaches like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban are also guys who keep things within the walls of their programs and it seems to have faired pretty well for their respective teams.

Winning solves problems.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
If that substance involves throwing Lewis under the bus by having to explain why he's not playing he's not going to do it
Surely there's a way to handle it without throwing the kid under the bus and also not being petty.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Matt Campbell isn't the most transparent coach either, yet I rarely see people hammering him about that. Coaches like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban are also guys who keep things within the walls of their programs and it seems to have faired pretty well for their respective teams.

Winning solves problems.
Campbell does a great job of dealing with the media, being honest, and keeping his cards close to his chest.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Let's hear it
I'm not going to speculate about what may or may not be going on behind the scenes in this scenario but I was surprised Steve didn't go to one of his tired cliches about doing things the right way. You were impressed with the way he handled that question?

This isn't the first time he's been testy with the media when they ask him tough questions either. I believe it was after the KU game Stansbury asked him about toughness and defense and Steve responded in a childish manner, saying something about the team being top 25 in defense last January. Maybe he should take his own advice when asked difficult questions about his 9-11 team.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Let's hear it
“I’m just trying to get him ready to compete once he walks out these doors,” Prohm said. “That’s really what I’m trying to do with Terrence. I mean, basketball is basketball. I’m just trying to get him ready to compete. Compete as a young adult. That’s my No. 1 thing with Terrence and try to pour into him and get him to understand things that everything you do needs to be able to translate to life success, not just college.

"What are you doing to put yourself when you leave here to be successful? You can’t ask like this. You can’t do this. You can’t do this. And trying to help him mature and grow.”

“I have my reasons with Terrence,” Prohm said. “If you talk to him, I’m trying to help him grow and mature in a lot of different areas. The days he’s ready, he’s been good for us. I thought he was terrific the other night.”

“It brings a lot of confidence in me,” Lewis said. “It brings a lot of confidence in my coach. Just having that trust in coach Prohm, that means a lot.”

These quotes were made following the game against OU a few weeks ago. As you and everyone else can see, Steve was transparent here in his reasons as to why Lewis was not playing consistently. These reasons don't seem to be strictly basketball related, rather there is something else at play here. I can only assume after the recent loss to Baylor, Steve was not happy about the play overall, and the question of Terrence's playing time erked him, considering he has already explained his situation. Could Steve have handled the question better? Sure. Does Steve have to explain again why Terrence didn't play? No.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I have a feeling that will probably happen....

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I'm not going to speculate about what may or may not be going on behind the scenes in this scenario but I was surprised Steve didn't go to one of his tired cliches about doing things the right way. You were impressed with the way he handled that question?

This isn't the first time he's been testy with the media when they ask him tough questions either. I believe it was after the KU game Stansbury asked him about toughness and defense and Steve responded in a childish manner, saying something about the team being top 25 in defense last January. Maybe he should take his own advice when asked difficult questions about his 9-11 team.

Like I said I don't really care what our coaches say as long they don't say anything dumb. Campbell lies to the media and dodges questions all the time and I don't care

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
“I’m just trying to get him ready to compete once he walks out these doors,” Prohm said. “That’s really what I’m trying to do with Terrence. I mean, basketball is basketball. I’m just trying to get him ready to compete. Compete as a young adult. That’s my No. 1 thing with Terrence and try to pour into him and get him to understand things that everything you do needs to be able to translate to life success, not just college.

"What are you doing to put yourself when you leave here to be successful? You can’t ask like this. You can’t do this. You can’t do this. And trying to help him mature and grow.”

“I have my reasons with Terrence,” Prohm said. “If you talk to him, I’m trying to help him grow and mature in a lot of different areas. The days he’s ready, he’s been good for us. I thought he was terrific the other night.”

“It brings a lot of confidence in me,” Lewis said. “It brings a lot of confidence in my coach. Just having that trust in coach Prohm, that means a lot.”

These quotes were made following the game against OU a few weeks ago. As you and everyone else can see, Steve was transparent here in his reasons as to why Lewis was not playing consistently. These reasons don't seem to be strictly basketball related, rather there is something else at play here. I can only assume after the recent loss to Baylor, Steve was not happy about the play overall, and the question of Terrence's playing time erked him, considering he has already explained his situation. Could Steve have handled the question better? Sure. Does Steve have to explain again why Terrence didn't play? No.

Thank you for posting this

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I will say it again Steve Prohm is the basketball coach for Iowa State. He isn’t the life coach for Terrence Lewis. It’s great when you can do both but basketball comes first. If he isn’t meeting the standards and has consistently had issues for 3 years then it’s time for him to get kicked off the team.

Just like he either should have been suspended for the game or he should have been playing in the game. We don’t know the full situation but there needs to be clear rules and consequences.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cycsk

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Like I said I don't really care what our coaches say as long they don't say anything dumb. Campbell lies to the media and dodges questions all the time and I don't care

Gotta agree here. People looking for much out of coachspeak opportunities, and especially people looking for literal truth or something like it, are looking in the wrong place. The game is to say nothing.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
The way Steve has handled some questions has definitely been dumb.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I will say it again Steve Prohm is the basketball coach for Iowa State. He isn’t the life coach for Terrence Lewis. It’s great when you can do both but basketball comes first. If he isn’t meeting the standards and has consistently had issues for 3 years then it’s time for him to get kicked off the team.

Just like he either should have been suspended for the game or he should have been playing in the game. We don’t know the full situation but there needs to be clear rules and consequences.

Not playing at all or playing minimal minutes isn't a consequence?

• Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

So kicking Terrence off the team while the season is going on is the right decision? Potentially putting a kid on the street? Terrence isn't exactly from the suburbs of Des Moines, Iowa where he can go home to a nice situation. For some kids, basketball is the only thing in their life and the ability to some day make money for them and a family is incredibly important. Lewis has a year left after this year and Coach Prohm is trying to help Terrence deal with his issues because if for some reason basketball doesn't work out for him, he'll be better ready for life afterwords. He's trying to not only help Lewis right now, but for next year to be a contributor to the team but that'll only happen if it's a two way street between the two of them.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins